Skip to main content

Bedford wheel/rim sizes

More
3 years 9 months ago #210525 by Dave_64
Hi PDU,
AS you seem to be pretty well up on these Bedfords, thought I may as well ask you directly as nobody seems to be answering my "cry for help"
As you know by the forum, have been chasing 6X16" rims for the Karrier project, and more than a few people seem to think that the smaller J series Bedford wheels may be getting very close to the same size. What I haven't been able to find out, and have even contacted a couple of wreckers, is the bore centre of the rim as well as the actual offset of the wheel, measured in inches. Wondered if you may have a workshop manual that may have them listed?

Or anyone for that matter.
I can follow a link if its printed out, not so good with Mr Google, we do NOT get along!
Have applied to a forum in the UK, but as yet, no reply.
I'll put these dimensions up here again if it's any help,

PCD=8+1/8" (8.125") 206.3mm * Ind std seems to be 205mm, maybe why I had to machine mine.
Stud hole diam=29/32" (0.906")** This is the mongrel stud hole size, seems to be halfway between 15/16" and 7/8"
Stud diam =45/64" (0.703) *** Another mongrel size and best I can make out its 17.8mm which I would have said would have been 18mm stud, but also has a bodgey 2.00mm thread pitch. NOT BSF, not pommy or yank!

So depending from where you measure the offset from, its either 1.102" or 28mm if measuring from inside the rim, its 6+9/16" (167mm).

After all that, still need the CENTREBORE diameter! (mine 6+1/2" (165mm) as well as the wheel/rim offsets.
Must be somebody out there who has a workshop manual that gives the wheel dimensions? Or even post a link to where I can find them? Maybe even got an old rim laying against a shed wall you may be able to measure?

Tried a few of those links on Google, most refer to car wheel dimensions.
As stated, rang a couple of Beddy wreckers, either couldn't or didn't want to help.
Thanks, Dave_64

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #210526 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Bedford wheel/rim sizes
Here is another idea.

www.shannons.com.au/club/enthusiasts/rus...mmer-karrier-bantam/

And this is the Commer Superpoise wheel. Looks like Bedford J1 to me.

Here is the Bedford J1. I would put money on it fitting the Commer.
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
3 years 9 months ago #210530 by husky
Replied by husky on topic Bedford wheel/rim sizes
Hi Dave 64,
i dont know which forum in the UK you have tried ,but if its not the one im thinking of try this ,its a similar site like this one and is full of members with loads of background and technical knowledge that might be able to help .
The site is Trucknet uk and there is links on the site to classic and vintage vehicles that may be able to help,hope this is of use
husky

More
3 years 9 months ago #210532 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic Bedford wheel/rim sizes
The 15" wheels would be a nice solution Lang, but at what cost, and by whom?

So far as the J Series rims are concerned, sorry I can't assist you Dave as I don't have any here to measure. I can't understand why some of the owners of them on this forum aren't answering your query, perhaps this might help . . .
HEY WAKE UP YOU J TYPE BLOKES!!
:pinch: :blink: :blush:
I must add that I'm not THAT well up on Bedfords, I'm only on my ABC's, and still on a huge learning curve!? :unsure: Definitely no expert!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Dave_64

More
3 years 9 months ago #210538 by Lang

More
3 years 9 months ago #210540 by PDU
Yeah, I spotted that one too Lang but you can't see the tyre size :blush:

However Dave could always contact the bloke and ask him to measure it. Coincidentally I have asked a guy in WA to measure his wheel for you, which he says he will do this weekend.

More
3 years 9 months ago #210541 by Eightpot
Replied by Eightpot on topic Bedford wheel/rim sizes

Dave_64 wrote: Hi PDU,
AS you seem to be pretty well up on these Bedfords, thought I may as well ask you directly as nobody seems to be answering my "cry for help"
As you know by the forum, have been chasing 6X16" rims for the Karrier project, and more than a few people seem to think that the smaller J series Bedford wheels may be getting very close to the same size. What I haven't been able to find out, and have even contacted a couple of wreckers, is the bore centre of the rim as well as the actual offset of the wheel, measured in inches. Wondered if you may have a workshop manual that may have them listed?

Or anyone for that matter.
I can follow a link if its printed out, not so good with Mr Google, we do NOT get along!
Have applied to a forum in the UK, but as yet, no reply.
I'll put these dimensions up here again if it's any help,

PCD=8+1/8" (8.125") 206.3mm * Ind std seems to be 205mm, maybe why I had to machine mine.
Stud hole diam=29/32" (0.906")** This is the mongrel stud hole size, seems to be halfway between 15/16" and 7/8"
Stud diam =45/64" (0.703) *** Another mongrel size and best I can make out its 17.8mm which I would have said would have been 18mm stud, but also has a bodgey 2.00mm thread pitch. NOT BSF, not pommy or yank!

So depending from where you measure the offset from, its either 1.102" or 28mm if measuring from inside the rim, its 6+9/16" (167mm).

After all that, still need the CENTREBORE diameter! (mine 6+1/2" (165mm) as well as the wheel/rim offsets.
Must be somebody out there who has a workshop manual that gives the wheel dimensions? Or even post a link to where I can find them? Maybe even got an old rim laying against a shed wall you may be able to measure?

Tried a few of those links on Google, most refer to car wheel dimensions.
As stated, rang a couple of Beddy wreckers, either couldn't or didn't want to help.
Thanks, Dave_64

Email Norman Aish who should be able to help you. Website - bygonebedfordbits.co.uk.

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #210542 by PDU
Is this de ja vu or groundhog day Dave? :lol:

If no one else responds, hopefully the WA guy will ? ;)
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by PDU.

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #210546 by jon_d
Replied by jon_d on topic Bedford wheel/rim sizes
This site may help.....

they make brake drums and have the measurements for the drums.

technicast.co.nz/index.php?option=com_co...=view&id=12&Itemid=9

Click on the more details; it gives a lot more dimensions.

J1 front and rear.

SPIGOT LOCATION BORE

BRAKE FACE DIAMETER
BRAKE FACE LENGTH
OVERALL LENGTH 79.5
STUD HOLE PCD
5 3/8"
STUD HOLE #
STUD HOLE DIAMETER
3/8"
WEIGHT
TBA
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by jon_d.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Dave_64

More
3 years 9 months ago #210555 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Bedford wheel/rim sizes
From my fading memory the way to measure the 'offset' of a wheel is to measure frome the inside (back) of the naive plate (wheel centre) to the flat of the rim where the tyre bead sits or the back flange.
This can give you the offset for a dual wheel or a single and the same way of measuring is done for cars and forklifts etc. I will appologise now if my memory has failed me but this rings true to me.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Time to create page: 0.518 seconds