Skip to main content

1965 F250’s Rejuvenation

More
2 years 1 month ago #233029 by Gryphon
Replied by Gryphon on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation

Did you use a normal polisher like would be used for paint or something else Lang ?

Paul

I have used a few brands of light cut/buffing and polishers you would use on paints, not so much for removing scratches but it gets the built up grime out of the glass and then it beads like or better than Rainex type products and last longer between applications as it cleans and not just coats like Rainex. Wipers on my cars are mostly for show, rarely work well so I need to keep the water off the screen.

Terry
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Urchy87, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 month ago #233049 by Urchy87
Replied by Urchy87 on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
That was a great discussion.

Mrsmackpaul, I used a Stanley knife blade in one of the scraper holder things you can get as per below. Took all of the hard stuff off with easy.

There was some solder splatter which needed to be dealt with. Haven’t polished yet as my pads had been made into a mouse nest. :angry:

Adventure before Dementia.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

More
2 years 1 month ago #233052 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
the golden ones would get all sorts of industrial paint overspray on the windscreen and mirrors of the ACCO.......was a nightmare in wet weather.............one time,Col gave me a ball of black clay was supposed to get paint off.....which I never used...I sometimes would use a wood chisel...but if I got sick of it,I would simply bust the windscreen when I was out on a job,and have a new one fitted........Williams cranes used to wrap their cranes up like a christmas present to keep overspray off....the golden ones were too lazy to even put a plastic sheet over the cab when they would stand on the roof to spray.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Urchy87, PaulFH

More
2 years 1 month ago #233060 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
When doing time as an apprentice panel beater and at tech one Monday the teacher told us about how one of the guys in our class would prep a vehicle for paint. That Company repaired Army vehicles from Holsworthy camp and the only form of protection was a 20 litre drum of grease. Slap it on what does need paint, let the paint dry then guernie it off, the grease that is. Bare in mind this was the early 1970's

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Urchy87, PaulFH

More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #233068 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
Hi, All,
Anyone come up with any photos/diagrams of what are the requirements for fitting hardwood bearers and associated securing blocks for fitting a tray back on a truck chassis?
I get the bit about fitting the blocks inside the chassis flanges, how many 'U bolt' combinatiioms are needed?
Onviously they would have to be a minimum size, how far apart are they meant to be?
Say for instance you have a 6' 6" wide tray X 10' long?
Mines an alloy tray.
Thanks, Dave_64
Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by Dave_64.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Urchy87

More
2 years 1 month ago #233081 by Vic Rhodes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, Inter-Action, Urchy87, PaulFH, Pierre, oliver1950

More
2 years 1 month ago #233106 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
A monster tach and shift light!

Are you planning on giving the old girl a hiding to stop the smoke?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Urchy87

More
2 years 1 month ago #233135 by Urchy87
Zuffen, gotta keep the old girl honest. ;)
I always like having a tacho and this has been in my shed for far longer than the 250 was sitting in the tree row (10+yrs). I reckon it’s time to come out of retirement for it also. The whole build is going to be a bit naff so just playing around with things. Haha.

Vic Rhodes, welcome to the discussion and thank you for the relevant information. I spent much longer than I’d like to say looking for something like that.

I tore down and ‘fixed up’ the passenger door window components. There has been no replacement parts available for about 12 months so I went to Spotlight, yep, you read correctly and purchased some felt for the runners worked a treat and saved prob $650. It’s not a perfect rebuild but is now functional where as not before. Fitting the quarter glass rubber was the worst part of it. Arghhh

The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, Pierre

More
1 year 10 months ago #235687 by Urchy87
Hey all. Well it’s been a while since I have given an update on the 250. In all honesty there isn’t much to update. I’ve done a few little tidy up things from jobs I hadn’t completely finished.

I’m currently overhauling the second door so the windows work and putting in what fresh rubber I could purchase. Some parts are still not available so I’m just forging on, the other bits can be done down the track if I ever really feel the need.

Unfortunately the bottom pivot point for the quarter glass is broken so I’m trying a few repairs to see how that goes. But can’t finish it off until that’s fixed. Currently the cruiser has been kicked outside and the 250 is in the carport. There is still too many showers of rain around (raining as I type) to have it out in the open like I have had it and it not to have a door on.

Other than that’s it’s just been a few spot welds here and there, some grinding in places and planning for the tray and an undercarriage spare tyre holder, looking to make a cradle on hinges so it swings down.

Purchased some helicoils as the exhaust and intake manifolds had some not so great threads on the head when I put it all back together. I am unable to get them to mate well to the head so a fix is required. There is a pretty serious vacuum leak so it’s tuned to compensate for that.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH, oliver1950

More
1 year 10 months ago #235689 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
Is it just the pivot pin at the bottom of the 1/4 window or are the holes worn? If the 1/4 window is still out you can fix either or both of those issues while it is on the bench. Worn holes drill them out to be round again and make a ne pin to burr over. Best to have some help when swinging a hammer and dolly around near glass.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Time to create page: 0.545 seconds