Skip to main content

QUESTION TIME

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #187238 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic QUESTION TIME
They're interchangeable. They featured on a once - common brand of heavy truck.......(owned by several members of this forum)

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by asw120.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #187488 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic QUESTION TIME
Q45.78
This is for those that have a scientific / analytical mind
If I was to get 2 lots of 1000 litres of water and freeze one of these which would be the heavier the liquid form or the frozen and reasoning why???? :dry:

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
6 years 7 months ago #187490 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic QUESTION TIME
Q45.78

RE: If I was to get lots of water

Nevr evr gunna happen

coz U dun drink water

well OK brewed water

:lol:

cya

§

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
6 years 7 months ago #187493 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic QUESTION TIME
The water.

Ice floats so water is obviously heavier.

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #187494 by dieseldog
Replied by dieseldog on topic QUESTION TIME
Both the ice and water weigh the same. Generally speaking, when water freezes onto ice, it expands and takes up a larger volume for the same weight, making it less dense than water, which is why ice floats in water.
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by dieseldog.

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #187498 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic QUESTION TIME
I think mass is measured per cubic cc, inch or whatever regardless of solid, liquid or gas. Litres is just a volume measurement that only happens to coincide with a kilogram of water at a particular temperature. Density is how weight measured.

The 1000 litres of water weighs 1000kg and occupies a container of 1 cubic metre. As you freeze it the ice decreases in density and expands to spill out of the box (exploding stubbies in the freezer). If you trim it to fit the original box you now have the same cubic metre but it weighs less so ice weighs less than water. At 4 degrees it actually becomes denser (weighs more per cubic metre) than when it is either hotter or colder.

If you heat it from 4 degrees it becomes less dense and lighter (hot water on top of the pool, cold at the bottom). If you go past 100 degrees it turns to gas - still the same water but a long way between molecules and fewer of them taking up the same volume with far less weight.

Lang
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Lang.

More
6 years 7 months ago #187506 by Southbound
Replied by Southbound on topic QUESTION TIME
(exploding stubbies in the freezer).
Lang[/quote]

Bugger...

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.

More
6 years 7 months ago #187537 by shiney005
Replied by shiney005 on topic QUESTION TIME
Mass is a measurement of volume. This is why a ships tonnage is the volume of it's hold. The weight of the ship is its displacement.

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #187540 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic QUESTION TIME
Not quite right. A ships displacement is the weight of the water it displaces. It obviously has a fixed initial displacement for the weight of the ship itself empty.
If we had some giant scales we could see the empty ship weighed X tons and if we weighed the water that could fill the hole the ship made it would also weigh X tons.

You can say displacement is equal to hold volume ONLY if you fill it up with water (weight inside is displacing an equal weight outside as it sinks down).
Looking good so far.

Unfortunately this comes unstuck if you fill it up with steel as the ship will have displaced twice as much water with only half full holds and will have sunk before they are fully loaded. Or you fill it up with foam mattresses and the hold will be full with the ship sitting up well above her lines displacing a quarter of the water it did when carrying steel.

Archimedes' principle states that the upward buoyant force that is exerted on a body immersed in a fluid, whether fully or partially submerged, is equal to the weight of the fluid that the body displaces and acts in the upward direction at the center of mass of the displaced fluid.

Maximum displacement of a vessel is set at the depth it can sink/load it can carry while still remaining stable when it is designed with variations for fresh/salt/warm/cold water. You can see these various lines marked on the hull of a ship.

A ping pong ball and a golf ball have about the same VOLUME but different mass/weight. Put them in a bucket of water and see what happens re displacement.

Lang
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Lang.

More
6 years 7 months ago #187543 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic QUESTION TIME
With DD on this. The question stated 2 lots of 1000 litres of water, no mention of a fixed volume so the frozen 1000 litres is still 1000 litres but the volume has changed due to freezing. Thaw it out and you will still have 1000 litres of water.

Time to create page: 0.518 seconds