Skip to main content

QUESTION TIME

More
6 years 7 months ago #187108 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic QUESTION TIME
New drivers simply aren't taught/shown whatever correctly.
Following a "L" plater on the highway last week,huge convoy doing 80 for miles and miles. Came to overtaking lane and he's got the boot into it, 120 and still going. Now WTF is the "teacher" in the left seat thinking.
So end of passing lane and we're back to 80 again.
Next passing lane we're all ready for this prick and start accelerating well back, quite a few of us got by but again, we're at 120 by the end, and yes checking in the mirror he's gone back to 80.
Modern cars are so smooth/quiet a driver has to be shown how to listen for road noise and how to maintain a constant speed.
Drivers who are too frightened to maintain consistent road speed once a passing lane is over, need to LEARN.
That goes for the dumb bastard in the passenger's seat as well.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #187109 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic QUESTION TIME
Hear the bit about lack of driving skills or road rule knowledge.
Some of the main right lane hogs in WA are Red P platers ( less than 6 months from getting there steering license)
Have seen a L plater hogging the Right lane for some 5 K's doing 80 in a 100, should be able to pull the instructor out for a flogging.
Believe Ma and Pa should have to sit a test to qualify to "teach" their Angels to drive, too much has changed in the last 40 odd years for many people to have kept up with.
Also believe there should be a license or license endorsement for towing trailers/boats and caravans.

More
6 years 7 months ago #187110 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic QUESTION TIME
Couldn't agree more about caravan licensing. Was overtaking some old fart in a Winnebago. It had dual wheels and was a decent sized truck, to me he would need a truck licence??
So I'm overtaking in my underpowered beast, see the 500m sign ahead and yep old mate decides that's enough, time to pull back into the right lane.
Now there's enough overtaking lane left to fit half a dozen "B" doubles but nope he's got the fear and has to get back.
Blinker on and starts blowing the horn. What a useless prick, knows how to blow the horn but not to estimate 500m.

More
6 years 7 months ago #187119 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic QUESTION TIME
In Qld ,I think any mobile home pays car rego and needs a car license to drive,even a 3 axle Denning.Saw one go round the inside lane on a roundabout,gave the grass a nice trim.

More
6 years 7 months ago #187132 by dno
Replied by dno on topic QUESTION TIME
New drivers are tough to pass a test, not how to competently operate a motor
vehicle. I was talking with a few guy earlier this week about how bad drivers are
becoming and was informed during the conversation you don't even have to speak english get a license. Vicroads supply an interpreter, it's no wonder the place is going to $hit.

Chipping away, one day at a time.
Limited Access Excavations.
Find me on Instagram, or search deankummer.com

More
6 years 7 months ago #187149 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic QUESTION TIME
I agree with everything that has been posted on this.

If drivers do not have to speak English, and I do believe that is true, how can they read road signs, parking restrictions, etc.?

It has been obvious for years that "Disabled" parking spots in the suburbs are for disabled people and new Australians.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
6 years 7 months ago #187173 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic QUESTION TIME
I must say that the worst driver I ever knew was the late John Serafin,who I used to work for.Drove from jobsite to jobsite using one mobile phone in each hand,and the two way in between .And drove like Fangio.Always arguing with truck drivers and foremen,I used to bless my luck when we arrived in one piece,then it was "Jump in ,we going to see Zumbo",of Z&T,a major enemy.He would never drive in his own trucks,had a major scare when a front tyre blew out,and they went thru 4 lanes the wrong way.My worry is the number of young guys on ice.13 out of 15 when surprise tested on one jobsite.They think theyre invincable.

More
6 years 7 months ago #187177 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic QUESTION TIME

JOHN.K. wrote: They think theyre invincable.

They wouldnt be the first young blokes to think that, I reckon all felt that way once

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
6 years 7 months ago #187178 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic QUESTION TIME
Morris,

They probably read the road signs just as we all do when in a foreign country.

I taught my boys to drive and they had to do their test on a manual and then were promptly sent off to do a defensive driving course.

So far neither has been booked and there has been one very minor accident (eldest son's fault) in their combined 15 years of driving.

They were introduced to dirt driving whilst on their L's and had more than their fair share of Freeway and poor road driving before they had their licenses.

We also put them in a new car so it was as safe as we could get it. We spent too money getting them to 17 without putting them in a shitbox car. Helen wouldn't be impressed if one of them died for the ske of a few thousand $.

More
6 years 7 months ago #187180 by dno
Replied by dno on topic QUESTION TIME

JOHN.K. wrote: My worry is the number of young guys on ice.13 out of 15 when surprise tested on one jobsite.They think theyre invincable.

There was an ongoing joke a few years back about a local employer having to
stop drug testing as he was running out of drivers.

Chipping away, one day at a time.
Limited Access Excavations.
Find me on Instagram, or search deankummer.com

Time to create page: 0.561 seconds