Skip to main content

Need a few good yarns

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #213613 by eerfree
Replied by eerfree on topic Need a few good yarns
A long time ago.
Talking about spuds, Vince's brother Jim carted spuds out of Thorpedale, Vince and Dougie met at a servo outside Melbourne one Friday, no chance of a load out till Monday so Vince rings his brother to touch base, it just happens that Jim's daughter is getting married on Saturday so after getting the OK from his wife Joan, Jim invites Vince and Dougie to the wedding.
Next morning they drop Dougie's trailer, shower,shave, load the dog into the Inter and after a quick shopping trip they took off for the other side of Thorpedale.
Found the church and bowled into the nuptials resplendent in their best blue singlets,stubbies and brand new double pluggers, made a real impression they did.
After the wedding they all repaired to the local Mechanics Institute Hall for the reception, typical country wedding, some speeches lots of tucker, drinks and dancing, ladies discussing babies, hubbies and other women who were not there, men gathered around the keg or outside playing two up by the light from the dunny.
The boys are having a ball, lots of attention being as how they were from Interstate, a bit of a rarity in the backblocks of Gippsland back then.
Later on in the evening Bride and Groom are gone, some of the older folk are drifting off home, Vince and Dougie have settled, Dougie is nursing half a beer and his head is drooping a bit when Joan comes out of the kitchen and asks - Has anyone seen a broom ? Dougies head snaps up, eyes open wide and he says in his rather loud voice,
WHY DO YOU WANT TO GO FLYING AT THIS TIME OF NIGHT ?
Well - anyone out there that knew Vince's Sister in law will understand why Vince took Dougie back to Melbourne first thing Sunday morning, It was not pretty.

Bob,
I do not know how I got over the hill without ever getting to the top.
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by eerfree.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, husky, prodrive, oliver1950

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #213761 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Need a few good yarns
Facebook does have some uses. It reminded me of something that happened 8 years ago when we had the house in Glen Waverley up for sale.

I was walking Sophie on our nightly walk and a young couple are walking towards me obviously in a heated discussion. As we get closer things go quiet and as I walk past the guy says "That bloke and I have something in common!"
"What?" was her terse reply
"We are both out taking our dogs for a walk!"
I heard the slap

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, eerfree, Morris, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, husky, V8Ian, oliver1950

More
3 years 8 months ago #213834 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Need a few good yarns
Mrsmack paul,
Your Dad must have been an amazing, resourceful man and your Mum must have been pretty good to have put up with some of the things you have told us about.

I met Ted Gearon, yes you had the correct spelling, many years ago when a friend had some stuff stored in some of Ted's chook sheds. He lived in Georon's Road, off Wellington Road, just past Stud Road. When I knew him, he had a fleet of earthmoving machinery he hired out.

He told me he had never worked for a boss. As soon as he left school, he started working for himself and always had.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

More
3 years 8 months ago #213838 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Need a few good yarns
I've met the odd hand of of "educated idiots" that have come out of school. Also in our mob only 1 of my cousins went to university. Turns out he is also the only one in our mob that has been to gaol, go figure.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 8 months ago #213840 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Need a few good yarns
Love the stories MrsMac. Don’t stop now.

More
3 years 8 months ago #213842 by husky
Replied by husky on topic Need a few good yarns
Absolutely brilliant, Mrsmac what a great story, and amazing job your dad made of that whole project ,just sat here and read from start to finish and thoroughly enjoyed the words and all the photos of the build and effort that went in to putting this all together ,,excellent
Hope the whole construction is still there and lasts for some time as a tribute and memory to your dad ,.

More
3 years 8 months ago #213843 by Ozfury
Replied by Ozfury on topic Need a few good yarns
Great story Paul, sorry about your loss. Your father sounds like one of the post depression era generation who seem to be gifted with ideas and detirmination to see them through. This country could do with another generation or two like it. My father was also of this generation ,he died last year, and like you I probably didnt appreciate his talents until later in life. I dont have half the go my old man had.

More
3 years 8 months ago #213860 by PaulFH
Replied by PaulFH on topic Need a few good yarns
Great piece of history Paul. Lot of hard work and heavy lifts, but got the job done.
A legacy of life lessons for your family to treasure.
Can remember the Gearon Earthmover business.
Looks like a top farm, with red soil and river frontage.
Thanks for sharing.

More
3 years 8 months ago #213867 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Need a few good yarns
Great read, Mrs!
Should have put it in a book form, educate a wider audience!
Dave

More
3 years 8 months ago #213868 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Need a few good yarns
What a champion your Dad was and just got on with the job and finished it.
Even now I often silently ask Pa how to attack this problem and he always comes through with the goods, he has been gone a couple of years now.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Time to create page: 0.546 seconds