Skip to main content

Need a few good yarns

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #214896 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Need a few good yarns
Trying to find the bloke in Mullumbimby who operates a backhoe. He has no arms and does it all with his feet. Can even light his cigarette.

lang

This says he "drives a tractor" in fact he has a commercial backhoe. Everything done with his feet.

Brett Nielsen is believed to be the first of about 35 thalidomide babies born in Australia, but he has shaped his story into a happy one. He is 46, a successful Mullumbimby musician with two children and two step-children. He hasn't let the fact that he was born with no arms stop him from driving a tractor or - his great love - playing the piano. He has made nine albums and sold 120,000 of them.

His outlook is a far cry from the "pessimistic emotional state" his parents talked about in 1972, when he was only 12. Nielsen the adult is far from bitter about the "complete cock-up" that has forced him to use his feet to perform most tasks. "They brought it out and didn't test it very well, but at the end of the day shit happens and it really doesn't matter what happens to you in your life, it matters how you deal with it," he says.
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, eerfree, Morris, PaulFH, wee-allis, Zuffen

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #214897 by prodrive
Replied by prodrive on topic Need a few good yarns
Bruce- George Pyers, and his AS 180 - yes, thats the man. Good story he has..
Some of these fellows listed above must be pretty incredible too. I wonder if being so called "handicapped" brings out the best in some people?
How about the Spanner man, up at Boort? If you haven't been there, go, it's worth the trip. An incredibly talented fella.
One of my favorite books was "I can jump puddles" by Alan Marshall. Inspirational, and a terrific Australian read.
Amazing what humans can do, when we need to isn't it.... ?
Cheers
Rich
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #214901 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Need a few good yarns
What about the bloke who ran the Windorah service station. Only one there most days. Totally blind.

He sat out the front and people filled up and came in and paid. Some low lifes thought they could scam him and understated what they had put in but he could tell to the millilitre how much went in. He had a wide range of spares and could go to the shelf and pick them out for you. In younger days he did tyre repairs and mechanical work - all alone without an assistant. Cash was no problem as he could give change as fast as a sighted person just by the size of the notes and coins.

Bub, his wife, had the aircraft refueling contract at the airstrip. A big girl but she could spring up a ladder to stick fuel in the wing. She always had her huge overweight black Labrador with her.

I refueled once and got a lift back to town with Bub to get a sandwich. Jumped in the Landcruiser wagon and the dog staggered into the back seat and immediately started slobbering over my neck and whacking me in the back of the head with his nose. Next thing this bloody 80 kilogram monster throws himself over into the front and climbs up to sit on my knee.

Bub just muttered "You have his seat". Seems passengers were required to sit in the back to allow the dog his rightful position in the car. Worked fine on the way back to the airport.

lang
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #214902 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Need a few good yarns
That's one interesting thing about Australia's notes and coins.

The notes are a different size so blind people can tell what they have in their hand.

Same for the coins. Different sizes and some have Reeding in various forms to, again, help the blind or sight challenged.

The United States has all the same sized notes so you need to look at what you have when paying or getting change. They're even the same colour.
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Zuffen.

More
3 years 7 months ago #214906 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Need a few good yarns
There used to be a joke about your favourite book Prodive.
Appologies in advance.

"Everyone was jumping Puddles, so Puddles got up and left!

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 7 months ago #214927 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Need a few good yarns
I met Alan Marshall when I was a primary school age kid probably about 9 or so and spoke to him for about 1/2 an hour or so (don't ask me about what my memory is not that good!). He gave me a signed copy of my book.
I was about to be in trouble with my parents for taking it when I opened it up and the inscription read "To my good friend Bruce" with his signature. I still have it.

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul

More
3 years 7 months ago #214931 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Need a few good yarns
When I read some books and some of the real battlers that built this country I figure my problems aren't really problems at all

I do think we are far to precious as whole these days and get offended by the slightest thing

I have never read the book Rich but am now on the look out for it

My brother Jack was a book I had to read as a kid Tech school

There were so many really good Australian books once but with the interweb that is slowly passing

My Inland Island was another interesting read
A Fortunate Life, I read for umpteenth time when hauling cane one year, was all over shop getting back under the harvester for a few days

The Crop Dusters was a good read

I could go on and on

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 7 months ago #214937 by Mairjimmy
Replied by Mairjimmy on topic Need a few good yarns
Paul l don't read books often but the picture There are a wierd mob was a classic

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!

More
3 years 7 months ago #214940 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Need a few good yarns
There was a second book "Gone Fishing"
Based on the same characters, also a good laugh

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 7 months ago #214941 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Need a few good yarns
There were several books in the series:- " No Kava for Johnny" is another one I remember. I think the same author, I forget his name at the moment but I have all his books called himself "Nino Culotta" in the stories.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

Time to create page: 0.600 seconds