Skip to main content

Mercedes Trucks and pics

More
13 years 3 months ago #29973 by TRANSTAR.GM.

Heres two more of the 1418's. :) :)

International 4070 & 4200 transtars&&International CO 9670&&International CO 400

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #29974 by prodrive
Cementy- yes, you are right, on recall it was a single drive. Imagine how good these LPS's would have been with a tilt cabin- mine is a complete b%tch to work on with the non tilt cabin.. Imagine how good they would have been with 300 odd HP!!! Not to mention full air brakes..

Transtar- Also goes to show just how many types of bullbars are around. There must be hundreds of variations... Just looking at your LPS Benz, reminds me of an LPS my father had for a while- These things all had different variations of bullbars too! And yours looks just like dads, I've never seen another the same. I'll see if I can find the pics.

Everyone- great pics! Got any more????

Cheers and ta! ;D ;D ;D

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #29975 by oldbugger
Here's a photo of the 1418 I drove for a while back in the day, I think the bullbar was a Kato ?. Its taken 1972/3 at Wingham NSW loaded with logs for Melbourne, well over length on extendable trailer, daylight travel permit from the police station at Wingham next to where I was parked, I remember being stopped at Goulburn to be weighed but they decided I was too long to get into the weigh bridge, bearing in mind Marulan was just up the road, through time I can not remember whether you got weighed travelling south at Marulan but you did travelling north.

Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by oldbugger.

More
13 years 3 months ago #29976 by scrubchomper
I'm still finding my around the history of the early Benz's and get confussed with the timeline of production of different models. For example I have 1418 (1969 year) L series but I've just seen a 1923 model (1969year) for sale on ebay with a turbo.
Can someone bring me up to speed on this? I was under the impression that the 1923 was the prime mover model with double bogies, 911 was 4wd and the 1418 the tray. But after all the photos posted on this thread I now have no idea whats what.

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #29977 by cemeNTepede
1418 series (L & LP) succeeded the 338 beginning in 1964.Early LPs had the 338 cab.
Early Ls (bonneted) had small (low) windscreen,narrow front guards,bug eye marker lights
each side of the cab roof.
LPs (COEs, Lastwaggen Pullman) got the square cab 1966.The exterior of the LPs didn't change noticeably for their entire production.The dash got a makeover about 1969/70.
Ls (Lastwaggens) got a high windscreen 1967 with two wipers,bug eyes disappeared,mudguards put on some weight and the turn signal repeater disappeared from the mudguards.
Ls got three wipers and an interior makeover late '69/70.
All 1418s are the same mechanical spec.OM346 engine was brand new design.
205hp SAE (Imperial measure), 181hp DIN (Continental measure which loosely
equates to hp available at the flywheel after subtracting auxilaries,fan,waterpump,
fuelpump,etc.
5sp syncro 'box,2sp axle with cross lock.All MB made.
2sp and crosslock were direct air operated from 1964.
Changed to electro-pneumatic 1967.
Air hydraulic brakes.

1920/23/24 series shared cabs(L & LP) with 1418 although initially the Ls had their headlights down in a much more substantial bumper bar whereas the L1418 had its lights up on the front grille.
Mechanically the motor was an OM 355.Again new in 1964 and shared a high proportion of parts with the 346.
355= 222hp SAE (205ish DIN) in 1920s uprated to 230DIN (1967)and 240DIN (1969)
5/6sp ZF trans. with and without splitters.
19** series are single drive.Initially with a double reduction axle 'till about 1971
when they got a hub reduction unit.
From about 1967 Ls headlights went back up into the grille area the same as the 1418s
and they also took the lighter 1418 bumper.
I'm inclined to think that this was an Australian modification only,although some vehicles like this did eventually turn up in NZ in the 70s.

2223/24 series are LP only.Same mechanicals as 19**series but bogie drive.
Single red. axles.Never went to hub red.Separate driveshaft for each axle provided by special transfer arrangement on the back of their ZF 'boxes.

2620/23/24 series are L only.Again same mechanicals as 19** with double red bogie drive and two drive shafts this time provided by a 2sp transfer box in the transmission line immediately behind the main 'box(short shaft).There was a 6x6 (LA) 26** and the same transfer box was used in all models with some extra bits to send the drive to the front wheels.
Cab mods are the same for the 1418 but for 19** and 26** series they go as follows...
2620 small 'screen,2623 big screen two wipers,2624 big screen three wipers.

A 1923 of any year won't have a turbo on it as standard.The L/LA2624(OM355) eventually got a turbo very late 70s (I think) and became the L/LA2628.They're a fairly rare bird in Aus. and NZ.

The 911 was available as both L & LA but most in Aus are 4x4 (LA)
911 had a bigger brother the LA1113/1113B.Popular ground spreaders in NZ.
1418s were never available as all wheel drive anywhere in the world.
All wheel drive not available in any COEs 'till the "V Series" came along mid 70s.
But 1418 could be just about any type of truck.......
L=bonneted body/tray truck
LS=bonneted prime mover
LK=bonneted tipper
LR=bonneted fire engine chassis crew cab standard.
LP=COE tray
LPS=COE semi.

R/ ;)

Welcome any info or pictures of 60s Australian AEC Mustangs (Leyland Comet lookalikes)
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by cemeNTepede.

More
13 years 2 months ago #29978 by scrubchomper
Had a little PT-60 on the back today. Took the photo while waiting.

More
13 years 2 months ago #29979 by scrubchomper

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 2 months ago #29980 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Mercedes Trucks and pics

Scrubby
Gudday M8

Gr8 Pix
Keep m cummin

U gotta B pleased with th@
U coulda gone out n spent a sqillion dollars on sum new jiggr th@ aint gunna do the job any better than the Benz

OK
May B a new jiggr may save u a cupla buckets of fuel a year n have bettr creature comforts n also keep U poor payn the beast off

well Dun

LOL

Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
13 years 2 months ago #29981 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Mercedes Trucks and pics
Swishy, I don't know about the new jigger saving too many buckets of motion lotion, I always thought the old 1418 was pretty fuel efficient.

More
13 years 2 months ago #29982 by Daninmky

motion lotion

;D

I have heard heaps of different names for fuels but thats the first time I have heard that one.........no I dont live under a rock :P

2 Blondes Walked into a Building.......neither of them seen it.....BOOM  BOOM!!!&&A blo

Time to create page: 0.503 seconds