Skip to main content

Mercedes Trucks and pics

More
13 years 10 months ago #29933 by kennymopar2
cool ..they seem to be tough little trucks just massively underpowered .. maybe the germans answer to the perkins motor? :D

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #29934 by VicHung
I was up in Kaikohe in the far north of NZ today and happened to catch sight of a Merc hidden behind a hedge. I stpped to have a look and found these 2 which are still in use, the one on the left is a tractor unit which is used to tow a transporter semi and the other one is a tipper.

http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz350/vicandval/MB1.jpg?t=1279256085

The other two below are used as spare parts!!

http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz350/vicandval/MB3.jpg?t=1279256085

http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz350/vicandval/MB2.jpg?t=1279256085

More
13 years 10 months ago #29935 by atkipete
A dumb question Vic, what do you mean by a "transporter semi" ?

13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #29936 by
Replied by on topic Re: Mercedes Trucks and pics
Pete - I'd be presuming a car transporter? .. :-/

Vic - I dunno about any worn-out, rusty, and beaten-to-death old Mercs .. but anytime you feel like picking up that beaut lil' ole wide gauge, 5J series D2, and sending it over, feel free to go right ahead .. :D

Cheers - Ron.

More
13 years 10 months ago #29937 by VicHung
Sorry, I was forgetting I was talking to Aussies! What you call a float, I think. We call them low-loaders, transporters etc. That one is used for carrying that Caterpillar and also the dragline that you can see a small part of in the top photo. I couldn't get any closer to get better individual photos as these were taken through a locked gate and I had to use 10X telephoto to get these.

Onetrack; I'm coming to Aussie in September so I'll try and fit that Cat in my backpack for you!

More
13 years 9 months ago #29938 by Humehwy
I was given these great shots of a restoration on a ls 1418 sleeper cab.
Spotted in Queenscliff Vic ,I think it's a boat hauler

Love to own this great looking rig

13 years 9 months ago #29939 by
Replied by on topic Re: Mercedes Trucks and pics
Now that is one keen fisherman.

More
13 years 9 months ago #29940 by prodrive
Gee thats a cool bit of gear isn't it? What a massive restoration job. it even has doors into the sleeper cab, I'm guessing that he's got seats back there for the kids! I'd love to own a sleeper 1418, rare as hens teeth now, I've never actually seen another one since the one my father owned years ago..
There was one for sale in the just trucks magazine a couple of years ago, in TNT colors, was for sale for ages, but I don't know where it ended up.
It must have been an amazing thing to have a sleeper in that era, when it was the norm to sleep across the seats or anywhere else you could!
Great pic Humey, keep em coming will you!

More
13 years 9 months ago #29941 by Tatra
Replied by Tatra on topic Re: Mercedes Trucks and pics
G'Day All,

Some more from the Middle East:

These pics (from the Harvard U collection) show an early short nose with a typical Israely general goods bed - wooden dropsides and stakes, and it was used to transport anything from livestock to humans. This is from a trip to the Sinai desert where many "roads" were anything but. I have a feeling the truck belonged to a kibbutz or some other such commune, even then they were the only people to stick wooden (yes) seats at the back and go on a kidney-destroying site-seeing trip to the desert (us civilised ones from the town had Royal Tigers for that sort of thing).

Cheers,

T

More
13 years 9 months ago #29942 by Old AB
Replied by Old AB on topic Re: Mercedes Trucks and pics
Found one i drove, 1924 liftup lazy axle. Big rig in its day....

Keep old inters alive.

Time to create page: 0.611 seconds