Skip to main content

Mercedes Trucks and pics

13 years 11 months ago #29893 by
Replied by on topic Re: Mercedes Trucks and pics
I don't remember Midstar Motors, although it's probably a bit before my time.

Cheers
Stu

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #29894 by prodrive
Ah we cwazy people us who like Benz's hey!!
yes, can anyone tell me the difference between a Hi torque 1418 and a normal one?
My dad could never tell the difference and he had heaps of them..
There was apparantly some "bit" you could break off the rack on the injector pump, that would allow the poor old 1418 to rev to about 3000 revs, I've heard that they would actually really get up and fly then. Truth? Don't know. There was a fellow in Campbelfield, Melbourne (near the old Southern Cross Transport Terminal, anyone remember that?) called Cyril Anderson, he had a small fleet of LPS1418 car carriers, green in color, pretty scruffy I think. I remember he'd change the windscreens to a split windscreen setup because he was sick of paying for expensive Mercedes windscreens! His trucks apparently flew, they would do 70mph so I was told as a young fella. He was known as a bit of a genius with the 1418's. I think his son Brian still has a workshop, north of Melbourne somewhere.
Here's another 1418 shot from my stuff...
This one has a UD engine fitted apparently. One for the weeks "working classics" file!

This one was spotted in Goondawindi, feeling a bit sorry for itself now, must have been well loved at one stage...

Got any more pics anyone?

More
13 years 11 months ago #29895 by cemeNTepede
Yep,here's a couple for ya............

Kempsey,1978

Portland,1983

Newcastle,1978

Dubbo,1978

There's more................. ;)

Welcome any info or pictures of 60s Australian AEC Mustangs (Leyland Comet lookalikes)

More
13 years 11 months ago #29896 by prodrive
Cool, keep em coming cementy! I know Humey loves em, and I reckon they're cool too.... Especially the old pics. I've got a few newer ones, but bugger all of 70's or 80's..
So it's great to see yours! Cheers, Richard

Here's one of my fathers old green 1418 in Brisbane about 1980 somewhere

and another one in Clayfield (Bris) similar time.

More
13 years 11 months ago #29897 by prodrive
By the way the green Benz had a plate beside the number plate with CHASTITY on it... My mum hated it, but Dad reckoned it just meant that the truck wasn't stuffed yet....

More
13 years 11 months ago #29898 by cemeNTepede
Just a little off thread,but here's one that Ross Smith was running in 1978 when I was hanging around the Wagga Saleyards.3208 CAT power I think.

;)

Welcome any info or pictures of 60s Australian AEC Mustangs (Leyland Comet lookalikes)

More
13 years 11 months ago #29899 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Mercedes Trucks and pics
Looks like a LN 7000 Rufo, narrow bonnet and front axle, manual steering 3208 @ 175hp and a 5 speed with a 2 speed diff. (A bit of a poverty pack)

More
13 years 10 months ago #29900 by prodrive
Yes it does doesn't it? And gee weren't they a mongrel? gutless, hard to steer, slow, did I say SLOW? Hard to imagine what it would have been like with a decent load on it.... Still, I guess thats the way things were back then!

More
13 years 10 months ago #29901 by Humehwy
Some one from the German website sent me this Au Beauty

More
13 years 10 months ago #29902 by Alpal
Replied by Alpal on topic Re: Mercedes Trucks and pics
Hi All .
Just found this forum as I was looking for pics of old 1418 cobovers.
Although I've been retired from the game for a few years now I still get a kick out of trucking .
Can some one please tell me how to post pictures as I have a couple of my "Old faithfull" LPS 1418 c/o.
Regards Al .

Time to create page: 0.517 seconds