Skip to main content

Older Kenworth

13 years 3 months ago #41842 by
Replied by on topic Re: Older Kenworth
swish i found this truck about 9-10 years ago became good friends with the owner who had bought the truck site unseen from the east coast in the 70s when it arrived it was a typical salt road rust bucket so i tjust sat an he would not sell it when i met him but i got a lot of other stuff from him over the years [nice bloke] last year he called an said it was listed on craigs list so i did the deal for my mate who did his time at kw st peters an eventually became service manager . this truck is a basket case but has found the right owner dave has forgot more about kw.s than i will ever no!! you have picks on you site probably from henry the interestin thing to me about this truck is it is the same dimentions as the cameron trucks an i no this was one of the factors that got s model here in the first place kw seatle was notorious for using up old stock maybe the did a number on ed back then i really dont no but i have rebuild 2 8125, years ago an drove one for a short time in a dco a cannot say that either experience was pleasurable especially when your dog tired with 2 decks of bullocks in the hills

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #41843 by jimbo51
Replied by jimbo51 on topic Re: Older Kenworth
Often normal manufacturing practice to cast the date in for batch/quality control tracking.

Not specific to when the truck wearing it was built but probably pretty close unless old stock from spare parts.

13 years 3 months ago #41844 by
re bug i.d this info was related to me by a ex seattle imployee an helped id my 825 as 51 model [stamped] at the time i was with a long serving kw imployee [st peters sydney] and it was news to him? we took it as fact an did not dispute the matter my 61 is also stamped but as i have said before please feel free to disregard this a b/s im not in the education game i fix trucks

13 years 3 months ago #41845 by
I just put up the bugs,so ya can see em mate! not havin a go by any means, iam just like you, i lernt what i know from workin on em,not outa any books, iam no kw expert by any means, had a few of many brands!!!

now the "bit about ya leavin" that was a $hit stir
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

"said with a $hit i might need to buy parts off you one day look on my face" ;)

cheers Adam

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 3 months ago #41846 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Older Kenworth

Grenfell
Sme again

RE: Spicer 8125 Synchro master 12 speed cogbox

Mention to the newer generation of drivers today where the gears were n they B cum dumb founded
12 speed forward 6 reverse (hit air switch for reverse) n all in 3 position joy stik movement
LOL
Oh the memories flood back
We had 4 'S' models n 3 were with the 12 speed
they had a short life as we were hard on m in stop start city traffic
we'd get between 1 n 2 years Bfore they needed rebuilding mainly bearings we even had our own C/O 12 speed LOL
the range shift quite often would stik n normally @ the most embarrassing moment
so out with the floor undo the brass plug n give it a dose of castor oil usually did the trick for afew months
the range shift piston had 2 quad 'O' rings n later on I got a spare piston n dug nuther groove in piston to put nuther Quad 'O' ring n this seemed to help the situation
Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

13 years 3 months ago #41847 by
adam thankyou for the reply at 60 im fairly thick skinned and i do like your s model

More
13 years 3 months ago #41848 by jimbo51
gren fella,
My thought on the casting date was only offered as another possible explanation to keep the discussion going. ;)

13 years 3 months ago #41849 by
There ya go boys, its just a bunch of old truckies, with there varied and many views ;)

said with a "i can feel the love in the room" look on his face!

[Good blokes "like us" need to stick together]
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
just an observation

Cheers Adam

13 years 3 months ago #41850 by
swish what you just wrote would put a shudder down the spine of at least a dozen real truck drivers i have spoke to about8125,s there comments were about the same if you mastered the shift pattern an were fresh they were a quick box but get tired an they would get ya every time from a repairers aspect 2 was more than enough for me!!! believe it or not i have found one for noel who has the ex glasson truck . don an his brother [orange nsw] were customers years ago but im sure noel has enough sense not to fit it an im defently no gonna build it

More
13 years 3 months ago #41851 by jimbo51
Funnily enough, the first Spicer 14 speed fitted to KW in about 1976 for Frank Main spat it's oil out twice on the way to Perth before they twigged it was getting pressurised. Apparently it had been sitting a while before it was fitted and some corrosion in one of the air cylinders was damaging the o-ring.

Some things don't change!

Time to create page: 0.520 seconds