Skip to main content

Older Kenworth

13 years 3 months ago #41852 by
Replied by on topic Re: Older Kenworth
just some thoughts on the s model. of all the kw blokes ive talked to in the u.s very few knew what they were an only a couple had seen one? kw was a west coast based company an this was were most of there sales were , the eastern states had the same lenght laws as oz an truck sales were dominated by mack ,white an international all of which produce a short bbc truck model to comply with these laws i think kw built the s model to compete in this market as most of the remaining trucks are in this area but going on the rarety of the an the lack of knowledge i think sales were limited[ swish may no the numbers?] which may have been a factor in them going south along with ease of conversion an the bbc lenght plus more robust than the k100,s??? the only thing i am sure of is if cameron had got his way an got k100,s the s model would never had a chance to prove its self an become ledgenary in the us as it did here! it simply would be regarded as a novel model that never took off . i think it would be a safe bet to say there are more s model still on the road in oz than anywere else on this planet. there legacy is the sar an s2 its funny how history works out? i look forward to all thoughts on this

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 3 months ago #41853 by
"there legacy is the sar an s2 " i love that!! :)

tell what is funny, i really wanted a "s model, but ended up with a S2 and a S.A.R

Cheers Adam

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 3 months ago #41854 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Older Kenworth

Gren Fell
Gudday M8

Gr8 topic n dear to me heart
LOL

[img

Clik Here

Thanx to :

-: KENWORTH-'S' Model Truck Appreciation Society :-

LOL (Me)

www.kws900.com/
lotsa KW 'S" model info n pix for those th@ have time to kill
did hear th@ KW made bout 500 of the 'S' model KW

Me ol man way back when got in the ear of a KW big wig on a KW Spit roast night celebrating one thing or the other n said to the KW man " Bring back the 'S" model n not long after they released the SAR a more modern V: of the 'S' model th@ could take Big HP motors n the rest iz History

Yes Ed Cameron tried to get the K COE to Australia but engineering in the States were bizzy n after a cupla atempts they produced the Right hand drive 'S" model for Australia

Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

13 years 3 months ago #41855 by
swish thats 18 that must be out the somewere? got any u.s sales numbers? i would like to date daves truck but the bug an i.d plates went missing after a visit from a potetial buyer??? both bill ex owner an i no were they are but gettin em back is another story we found the frame no but its rusty as hell hopefully readable when sand blasted ,we guess abou 61 -62 but these trucks a full of surprizes?? my 825 is on the road to dalton truckin as this is written an we will pack it an the s model together in may im glad dave got the s as i no it will servive . the yanks really dont appreciate them!! i would like to post some pics but all have failed

13 years 3 months ago #41856 by
re s2 kw.s i allways thought they were a oz truck but dave just told me on a trip to the u.s in 78 he saw one at inland empire kw [ fontana] ,when they tilted the bonnet there sat a 3408 cat!!! im no lover of dozer engines but gees that thing would get your attention on a jump up even today maybe jimbo could enlighten us here ???

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #41857 by jimbo51
Replied by jimbo51 on topic Re: Older Kenworth
When folk mention S2 KW's I think of the W900S2R series (90inch BBC). As far as I know, it was, along with the later W900SAR unique to Australia.

Not to be confused with the original S900 series, as immortalised on Swishy's website, which was not unique to Australia.

A 3408 in an S900 would have been a creation up there with Mick Gardiner's V12!
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by jimbo51.

• Swishy
More
13 years 3 months ago #41858 by Swishy

Guys
here B sumthing eye found @ the bottom of me Hardrive
so me cleaned it up etc

;)

;)
Also there B a cupla Chassis # pix on the 'S' model site
under the heading OVERSEAS PHOTOS

KW applied for the 90" BBC cab truck patent in Oct 1961. First KW 'S" model to arrive on Australian shores twaz Aug 1962

The fully imported 'S" model Kenworths 40 in number were all 90" BBC
www.kws900.com/other/TRUCK_W.pdf
Kenworth Aust @ Bayswater designed and made the 1st Australian KW900S2AR
even tho they were already making there Version of the COE K series
next cam the KW900SAR
we presume th@ A= Australian R= RightHandDrive
the SAR is 102" BBC n the S2 was the same me thinks

The Yanks had 2 V: of the S2
C S2 (butterfly hood)
W S2 (UniGlas hood)

ButEyeDoSt&2BCorreted!

Any pix of the famous 'S" model Kenworths
would muchly B appreciated

Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
13 years 3 months ago #41859 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Older Kenworth
Swish, I vagually recall reading in that KW book that KW must have paid a lot of money for the chick to make them look good had written in it that the AR was maybe the designation of the cabin that was used. No doubt there will be someone who will have read it and off er a correction.

Apart from the book though, I was told the same as you. S= Short, A= Australia, R= Right, As in SAR, or W900AR.

More
13 years 3 months ago #41860 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Re: Older Kenworth
Well Cam that might make sense ..............What is the CR in tyhe aussie K100CR ......... K100 Cabover righthand drive ???

that may make the A in AR the cab designation........but what the hell do I know :-? :-?

typed with a "S#*T!!! now I'm confused look"........... :-? :-?

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

• Swishy
More
13 years 3 months ago #41861 by Swishy

Guyz
Sum have argued th@ the A represents the 'A' version of the conventional cab
May B CR = C Version of the K COE cab
n R = RHD

ButWoddaEyeKno

Cya