Skip to main content

* * * Manure Happenz * * *

12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #57474 by
Replied by on topic Re: * * * Manure Happenz * * *
There's no sign of lightning strike in the service station CCTV footage that I saw on the news. I only saw a trail of flames starting.
I'd say it was started by a static electricity spark, a car-refuelling spill igniting, or loose vapour finding a source of ignition.
An earth strap is a critical part of pumping fuel, and if you watch a fuel tanker driver, they attach a strap before they even unroll a single hose.
I recall Golden Fleece losing several trucks in the 1960's due to static electricity sparks.
All service stations have rigid rules about refuelling metal fuel containers such as jerry cans, they must be in contact with the ground to earth them, before you start to fill them.
The fuel companies also stopped pumping fuel into rural overhead fuel tanks in the 1960's, via portable hoses, because they had several fires due to overflow.

You rarely get a massive explosion with a fuel tanker unless the tanks are near empty. Remember that confined vapour is what is explosive .. liquid fuel only burns.

A full tanker is always "boomed up" (pun intended) by the media as being the most "horrific danger" .. yet an empty tanker is more dangerous than a full one.

I recall watching the Mobil fuel depot in Norseman go up in flames in 1975. A stupid caravanner pulled in to refuel his car and had left his gas fridge pilot light going.
The fumes from refuelling entered the van .. the van blew up .. the car and bowser caught fire .. then that set alight the office, and then the rest of the fuel depot.

The depot had 3 x 10,000 gallon overhead petrol tanks. The fire going underneath them, boiled the petrol, and the fumes released via the spring-loaded pressure release valves .. and they were going like Roman candles with a flare that must have been 25 or 30 metres high.

The fireys just stood back outside the fence and played water on the tanks, and cooled them until the valves snapped shut, and the flares went out. It was quite amazing to watch.
The rest of the entire depot was just ashes when the last flames were put out. Fuel companies refused to refuel travellers from bowsers within the depots after that episode, and eventually all bowsers were moved to the outside of the fuel depots. They also put up warning signs to caravanners about ensuring gas fridge pilot lights are out, before attempting refuelling.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #57475 by greenie
It appears to be in an unusual spot where it started, the front left side of the aluminium tanker wall has been melted, which shows that it copped most of the heat. None of the caps are of the lead trailer either, he wasn't emptying that trailer, so how did it start up the front then.

Now what's directly below that ruddy great hole ?

Do not think it was lightning at all, possibly something wrong with the rear end of the horse being a tad too hot.

Will have to wait for the official verdict, there must be an inquiry of some sort, to really know how it got started though.

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

More
12 years 4 months ago #57476 by 82cabover
watched it on a couple different reports just wonderin wether that truck would have had one of those new catyletic convertor burn of gadgets underneath which reach massive temp maybe got a sniff of vapour...

livin the dream oldskool is cool

More
12 years 4 months ago #57477 by greenie
Possibly might have nailed it with that lot, one of them thingies should be fitted down about that position on the left chassis rail, eh.

More
12 years 4 months ago #57478 by greenie
Hey Swishy, how come you've not been down to the Monash Freeway for some happy snaps, it's just about in your backyard, aint it ?

More
12 years 4 months ago #57479 by murranji

1979 mack r600 685 rs 1978 r700 797 rs

More
12 years 4 months ago #57480 by ray
Replied by ray on topic Re: * * * Manure Happenz * * *
The Bobcat pic brings back some memories. I put a 631 Bobcat end over end forwards down a hill when the ground gave way. Fortunately I came up against a concrete column that stopped me going another 20-30 metres down the hill.

More
12 years 4 months ago #57481 by murranji
that husky was new and i mean new .loaded two buckets then tipped it a over t his old man is on the digger would have been a interesting drive home lol i still give young fella a hard time about it

1979 mack r600 685 rs 1978 r700 797 rs

More
12 years 3 months ago #57482 by Loadstar
Another one for the file.

www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-austra...frea83-1226236248914

What can you say? :-[

12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #57483 by
Replied by on topic Re: * * * Manure Happenz * * *
Here's todays FU. A local bloke in an old ACCO, supposedly being used by the local vintage club, turned in front of a road train going the same direction, on the Quairading-York Rd (W.A.).
The road train ran into the ACCO (apparently hitting it behind the cab, thus the twisted cab) .. then the road train rolled and trapped the driver in the cabin.

au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newshome/1...ter-two-truck-crash/

This happened just down the road from OzFamin, and he's highly critical of the local clubs attitude to safety, and making sure everything's all working.
He's suggested, that on past experience with them (forklift with no brakes - and they never told him), that perhaps the brake lights and indicators on the ACCO weren't exactly in pristine condition .. :( ::)

I guess there's some blame to be sheeted home to the road train driver, as when you're coming up behind a slowing vehicle, you would normally exercise caution.

However, trying to stop a road train in a hurry when someone does an unexpected turn in front of you, with perhaps no indication, or brake lights not working, is a big ask, too.

(pics courtesy of Channel 7/West Australian) ..

Time to create page: 2.136 seconds