Skip to main content

peterbilts,then and now

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #76720 by Tatra
Replied by Tatra on topic Re: peterbilts,then and now
:o

I never knew Hays trucks were exported to Australia...

Did they use the same cab as Peterbilt (like later ones sharing the F700 cab)? Looks very similar to me.

As for buying anything like this, I need to win the lottery first. So far I managed
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Tatra.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

10 years 5 months ago #76721 by
Replied by on topic Re: peterbilts,then and now
Hi Tatra .. thanks for the pics you have posted recently...it's all very much appreciated 8-) 8-)...

...a funny thing about the similarity between the Peterbilt- Hayes- Kenworth physical appearance is that a firm in Western Australia (Ridolfo TPT) operated all three makes at roughly the same time in the late 1960's 8-) 8-)....this firm still to today has a big presence in transport services right throughout WA .....cheers mate

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #76722 by fageol100

:o

I never knew Hays trucks were exported to Australia...

Did they use the same cab as Peterbilt (like later ones sharing the F700 cab)? Looks very similar to me.

As for buying anything like this, I need to win the lottery first. So far I managed

Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by fageol100.

More
10 years 5 months ago #76723 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: peterbilts,then and now
Here's one for Detective-

10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #76724 by
....naaaace tooon there bigcam 8-) 8-) ;).....

...i'm pretty sure Peterbilt cabs have never been offered to other truck manufacturers....either conventional or cabover....cheers

More
10 years 5 months ago #76725 by Tatra
Detective, I know very little about either Hayes or Peterbilt, both being brands never officially marketed in the EU, Israel or the Middle East in general, so I'm bound to follow the expecrts here. However... I had a feeling some US manufacturers used cabs built by external suppliers (Mack cabs for example were produced by Sheller-Globe (?) and sent to Mack for final assembly) so it would not surprize me to discover that both Hayes and Peterbilt got theirs from someone else and changed things like trim, fittings etc. to suit. I have to compare good pics of both yet, so it may prove to be another one of my wrong theories (I have many)...

Cheers,

T

10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #76726 by
...Hi Tatra .. the Hayes cabs looked fairly similar (although not the same) to those on the Pacifics that operated in and around the same era....

....i've got a fair idea that the all steel Pacific cabs were an overgrown version of the early style Kenworth 900 cab.... as i've had an opportunity to check a couple of the very few Pacifics that came to Australia....mostly used on the Tasmanian hydro project back in the 1960's.....cheers mate

...PS .. the Hayes and Pacfics that came to Australia for these earlier operations were factory RHD and sourced (i believe) from Canada...although i can't vouch for the Pacific ''Roughneck'' V12 oilfield trucks and others operated by Neil Mansell TPT of QLD

More
10 years 5 months ago #76727 by Tatra
I was talking about the COE cabs but I now had a look and while they're very similar, they're not the same...

10 years 5 months ago #76728 by
....admittedly, with a passing glance, there's not much in it ....

10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #76729 by
...on good advice from ol' mate ***JMackB*** 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) Hayes used the Peterbilt Pacemaker cabover cab for a short time towards the end of their existence....

....merry Christmas Jeff 8-) 8-)

Time to create page: 0.626 seconds