Skip to main content

McGRATH TRAILERS AND COMPANY HISTORY.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
11 years 10 months ago #84978 by Swishy

Ornsby
Gudday M8

Lot of the ol trailers ended up on farm properties as they weren't worth much as ol tecknowledgy (not nuff axles etc)
they used the main frame to make bridges across creeks etc

Here B alead
www.hcvc.com.au/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1265231133

Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #84979 by Buc
H-A,

Here be a little advert from the Age newspaper classifieds from 1939 for McGrath Trailers ya may have seen em already in your research? :-/ :-/

Cheap trailers them days. :D

news.google.com/newspapers?id=9b5VAAAAIB...grath+trailers&hl=en

The archives from the Age have some very interesting articles on old trucks, companies, etc from yesteryear if'n anyone else is interested in lookin.

Regards, Buc. :)

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
11 years 10 months ago #84980 by Swishy
Have a ch@ with McGraths granson

www.hcvc.com.au/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1264847727

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
11 years 10 months ago #84981 by HORNSBY-AKROYD
HI ALL,

RE- REPLY FROM DETECTIVE, Yes ,it is a very obscure subject, but the more i investigate the more the story becomes interesting, and i know there is more to discover.

RE-REPY FROM MAMMOTH, Thank you, for the Ivan Tarrant lead, which sounds very interesting, and i am very excited to discover a note book exists that is full of the chassis numbers, DOES ANYONE HAVE A CONTACT FOR MITCH ?

RE- REPLY FROM SWISHY, I have tried to make contact with the grandson, but so far no luck, HEY GRANDSON CALL ME, 0417 345 141. ALSO swishy, what a great lead you have given me to follow up on the purchase of the old COMMER and the early McGRATH MELBOURNE BUILT TRAILER, THANK YOU.

RE REPLY FROM BUC, Thank you for the tip about the newspapers, which i reviewed earlier this year. So far this medium has been the best source of information on the history of the McGRATH TRAILERS AND THE COMPANY, and the 1939 price list forms a central part of my history.

PLEASE KEEP SPREADING THE WORD, ALL CONTACTS, HELP, INFORMATION AND LEADS GRATEFULLY ACCEPTED . BILL.

More
11 years 10 months ago #84982 by BK
STOP SHOUTING!, some one may take notice.

Trust me

More
11 years 10 months ago #84983 by greenie
He sure is a bloody annoying creature.
He's been asked to turn off the caps lock, but he just don't want to do it.

Well, the easiest way now is to ignore him and hope he goes away, either that, or he changes his manners and does what he's been asked to do, and turn the bleedin' caps lock off.

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

More
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #84984 by hoarder1
Welcome to the forum, Hornsby-Ackroyd, and good luck with your research. Thanks for thinking we are an intelligent enough group that we might be able to assist you with your endeavours. I look forward to reading the results of your research either here or in the printed word somewhere in the not too distant future.

By the way, we aren't all that anally retentive that instead of welcoming a keen amateur historian into our ranks, we get concerned about whether or not you are holding the Shift key down when you type. Personally, I think this concern about capitals is a bit 'old hat', when, for example, we tolerate Swishy's inability to type 3 words in a row without using shorthand, and his thoughts that we must all be blind, therefore increasing the text size and use of bold print. ;)

This idea of 'shouting' by using capitals was some geeky thing brought up when the internet forums (?fora) were first devised. Let's move on...

Collector and admirer of ye olde crappe.  I'm interested in researching and collecting old numb
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by hoarder1.

More
11 years 10 months ago #84985 by HORNSBY-AKROYD
HI ALL,

HOW ABOUT SOME PATIENCE AND ACCEPTANCE FROM YOU PROFOUND CRITICS, I CAN'T TYPE, BUT I TRY ONE FINGER AT A TIME, AND FIND HAVING THE CAPS LOCK ON MUCH EASIER, IV'E JUST STARTED TO USE A COMPUTER, AND AT MY AGE THAT IS A BIG EFFORT.
I JOINED THE FORUM OVER TWO MONTHS AGO, AND WATCHED CAREFULLY BEFORE I VENTURED IN AND COMMENCED LOOKING FOR HELP.
I HAVE FOLLOWED THE V.C.V.C. FOR MANY YEARS, THIS YEAR AFTER RETIRING, I WAS THINKING OF JOINING . DOES BK REALLY BELIEVE I AM SHOUTING, AND AS FOR GREENIE, WHAT A FRIENDLY ASSET HE IS TO THE VINTAGE MOVEMENT, SAYING I AM BLOODY ANNOYING AND IF YOU ALL IGNORE ME I WILL GO AWAY, ALL BECAUSE SOME INCONSEQUENTIAL AND INSIGNIFICANT COMPUTER GEEK DECIDED CAPITALS WAS SHOUTING, THIS IS A FORUM THAT SHOULD ENCOURAGE COMMUNICATION, NOT RESORT TO CHILDISH REMARKS TO LEARNERS ABOUT COMPUTER ETIQUETTE AND CONVENTION.
THANKFULLY, HOARDER1 HAS GIVEN ME THE ENCOURAGEMENT TO CONTINUE MY SEARCH FOR HELP.
BILL

More
11 years 10 months ago #84986 by HORNSBY-AKROYD
HI ALL,

The history of Australia's pioneer trailer builder and designer, John McGrath began in Melbourne where he was born in 1900. At 29 years of age he began his trailer business, in East Brunswick, Melbourne that would continue until 1984.
It was stated in 1959 that McGRATH TRAILERS Pty Ltd manufacture more semi-trailers than any other trailer manufacturer in Australia.
The McGRATH Trailers story is a fasinating one, and forms a great part of Australia's road transport history, I am but, an interested historian, trying to put to-gether a story for others to enjoy,many, many long hours of research will be required to achieve this.

THANK YOU TO THOSE WHO ARE HELPING ME !

BILL

More
11 years 10 months ago #84987 by Debo
HI BILL, I AM GLAD THAT SOMEONE LIKE YOURSELF HAS TAKEN THE STEP TOWARDS RECORDING THE HISTORY OF ONE OF AUSTRALIA'S GREAT TRAILER BUILDER'S. I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST IN YOUR PURSUIT AND I CANT WAIT TO SEE YOUR EFFORT'S AS I'M SURE MOST OTHERS WILL TOO, GOOD LUCK AND CARRY ON AS BEFORE. ;)

Time to create page: 0.498 seconds