Skip to main content

McGRATH TRAILERS AND COMPANY HISTORY.

More
11 years 10 months ago #84988 by geoffb
Matey I don't give a Rats whether you have caps on or off just keep posting mate

Please Log in to join the conversation.

11 years 10 months ago #84989 by
Bill

As i was one of the ones having a go at you i appologise.
Keep up the good work with the hunt for history.

If you do get to the stage of wanting to post pictures we can help you with that.

Trevor

More
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #84990 by mammoth
Bill, for access to an excellent collection of photos you need speak to Tony Petch. I am writing using the standard text size of 14 point. :click on that number in the box above and it shows a list, then you can click on 16 and your t ext will be bigger but not as you write :-/ :( Bold same deal
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by mammoth.

More
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #84991 by werkhorse
A - H stick with it mate just look at what i have done with my kwikasair post....it is now going to be a book on TNT

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by werkhorse.

More
11 years 10 months ago #84992 by Sarge
Good Job H-A... and sorta back on topic

does anyone have any ideas about the not so uncommon farm (semi) strap trailers, usually 30 plus feet long, often only 7 feet wide
Most seem to be made up with a fixed plate T/T on a dolly, but often front and rear axles are old diff housings without the guts, popular to cart hay or a couple of grain bins these days.

Were these factory made decks or did a lot of cockies buy a welder and a set of plans off the ????

They sell for good bucks at clearing sales which is why I dont have one... ;D

Just wondering if these may have been the basis for a trailer manufacturing empire??? :o

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
11 years 10 months ago #84993 by HORNSBY-AKROYD
HI ALL, ESPECIALLY SARGE;

THIS MAY NOT ANSWER YOUR QUESTION, BUT, IN THE MID TO LATE 1930's, McGRATH TRAILERS, WERE ADVERTISING TO FARMERS AND OTHERS, THE OPTION OF PURCHASING TRAILER AND SEMI-TRAILER COMPONENTS, TO ASSIST YOU TO BUILD YOUR OWN TRAILERS.
WHEELS FIVE POUNDS NO OBLIGATION TO PURCHASE TYRES, TURNTABLES FIVE POUNDS, AXLES FIVE POUNDS, IN FACT EVERY ITEM REQUIRED COULD BE PURCHASED,
McGRATH TRAILER'S WERE ALSO, ADVERTISING THAT THEIR DESIGNERS WERE AVAILABLE BY APPOINTMENT, TO ASSIST YOU TO BUILD YOUR OWN VEHICLES WITH McGRATH TRAILER PARTS.
CLAIMING ALL NEW McGRATH TRAILER PARTS, WOULD BE AVAILABLE AT WHOLESALE PRICES.

THE McGRATH STORY CONTINUES, BILL.

More
11 years 10 months ago #84994 by Phred1
Hi Bill, H.F.Palmer Tpt in Bris might be worth chasing up if they are still operating. In the mid 90's I worked there for a while the majority of the trailers they had were McGrath with C chanel chassis rails and a couple of strap trailers. They have been going for a long time certainly pre 1920's so there may be some info there.... regards Peter

More
11 years 10 months ago #84995 by Kav
Hi Bill, Back around 1981-83 Ken Martin at Martins Truck Sales in Toowoomba bought the rights to build McGrath trailers and bodies, and was selling them with the McGrath nameplates attached. Some were coming from the south and others were made in Toowoomba. He had some of the McGrath Machinery such as the Roll press to form the side sheets. I understand that there were two McGrath Companies but I don't know which one he was involved with. Regards - Michael.

More
11 years 9 months ago #84996 by SAR-8V92
Hi Bill got your message will get in touch and see how I can help. For all the rest of you guys having a crack about the CAPS LOCK imagine trying to decipher some of swishy's posts I have to get my teenage daughter to explain half of it and she struggles (I get the Dad what the hell are you guys on look)!!! :o :-/ :-X :-[

Keep on fillin those tanks with motion lotion till the next destination.

More
11 years 9 months ago #84997 by HORNSBY-AKROYD
HI ALL,
I have just been admiring trevors ( slospeed ) current restoration, which aswell as being a work of art, is also very informative and interesting.
BUT does he know that J.J. Mcgrath did an exclusive business deal with INTERNATIONAL TRUCKS to provide the semi-trailers for their new trucks. With requests for information in two magazines, the Weekly Times and this forum, I am now starting to get some great contacts, information and locations of old McGRATH trailers.
Please keep spreading the word regards BILL.

Time to create page: 0.536 seconds