Skip to main content

McGRATH TRAILERS AND COMPANY HISTORY.

More
11 years 9 months ago #84998 by hayseed
G'day Bill.

Mate I know you're looking for the oldest Mcgrath in captivity.........

BUT

This May well be the LAST McGrath built........

www.hcvc.com.au/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1340607506

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago #84999 by Mairjimmy

Bill,,,,Here is a photo of McGrath in Brisbane or around there somewhere,in 1961.[another senior moment I can not think of the suburb] :-? :-? The photo posted in LEYLAND SUPER HIPPOS in History Truck Chat, there is also a photo that OLDFULLA also posted with two 40ft McGrath trailers in 1961,he stated they were 45ft but they are only 40ft,,,,It was most likely taken the same time as this one.
Colin

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!

11 years 9 months ago #85000 by

HI ALL,
I have just been admiring trevors ( slospeed ) current restoration, which aswell as being a work of art, is also very informative and interesting.
BUT does he know that J.J. Mcgrath did an exclusive business deal with INTERNATIONAL TRUCKS to provide the semi-trailers for their new trucks. With requests for information in two magazines, the Weekly Times and this forum, I am now starting to get some great contacts, information and locations of old McGRATH trailers.
Please keep spreading the word regards BILL.

Bill

Thanks, if you can find me a 1926/27 mcgrath trailer i would be very interested in turning one of my toys into a semi, would love to see some pictures of them.

Trevor

More
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #85001 by Beaver
There was an old magazine called Australian Commercial Motor (or similar) published in the early 20th century. Not sure of the exact dates, but you may find copies in the State Library Victoria or NSW.

There is some interesting reading in them regarding early commercials.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by Beaver.

More
11 years 9 months ago #85002 by HORNSBY-AKROYD
HI ALL,
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.
Especially Collin (Mairjimmy) what a great photo, this is a great find and exactly the type of memorabilia I am searching for, and this is an excellent find, and sure to be used in illustrating my short, now maybe not so short history of this very famous pioneer trailer designer and builder in Australia.
I AM STILL HAVING TROUBLE TRACING FAMILY MEMBERS.
PLEASE KEEP SEARCHING FOR PHOTO'S.
THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH, BILL.

More
11 years 9 months ago #85003 by murranji
that photo was taken in rocklea brisbane near where gleeman truck parts are now ,going by my failing memory

1979 mack r600 685 rs 1978 r700 797 rs

More
11 years 9 months ago #85004 by Mrsmackpaul
In reply to sarges thing"o" on the 19 / 6 I've always known those farm trailers to be called baby quinn even home made ones. I do think form my own experince that the old strap trailers were bought for next to nothing back in the 70's providing you didn't get axles or landing gear the axles were worth more than the whole trailer and as result many were bought for bridges to replace old pole types as they rotted out or made into traliers using old truck axles they still call them all baby quinns at clearing sale don't no wether that was abrand or not proberly not of much help but anyway maybe?

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
11 years 9 months ago #85005 by mammoth
The "Baby Quinn" was a small dog trailer of standard design made by Freighter. Single wheels all round. They were popular on farms and may have become illegal for the road at some time as I don't recall any pictures of them on the road. Stange name for a model of trailer, so must have a history attached to it some where. The auctioneers may be calling anything baby quinn to get the punters lined up as they still fetch good money.
H-A; If youn come across any veteran trailers that need saving let us know as there may be some one willing to rescue a bit of neglected (up to now) history.
Question - did McGrath ever offer the 'Oil bath turntable'?

More
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #85006 by Chocs
Topic Variance:

Here are a few pics of a Baby Quin Trailer:

chocs 8-)

More
11 years 9 months ago #85007 by sailorV

This advt. from The Canberra Times,Friday July 3rd 1953

Time to create page: 0.511 seconds