Skip to main content

Gascoyne Trading...

• Topic Author
11 years 5 months ago #96510 by
Replied by on topic Re: Gascoyne Trading...
...the pic of the K Whopper doesn't show but there were 4 trailers...all refrigerated and she rolled in about 6.30 AM....the noise and racket was amazing and the Cat engine sounded loud and ''rattly'' as well...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #96511 by FatBob103
Replied by FatBob103 on topic Re: Gascoyne Trading...
When I saw the two long nose Fodens in Gassies yard in 1975/76 I was told they had 250 Cummins in them and that was why they had the long noses.
The Gassies drivers at the time weren't too impressed with them, but as I had a job driving my ol mans 8 wheel Foden at the time I would have liked to have a crack at them, unfortunately they weren't licensed and I was also told they needed a bit of work. The Gassies boys were all wetting themselves over the new Merc 2632 - the first of the V10s if I recall.

Life is to short to drink cheap wine.  On the other hand I plan to live forever - So far so goo

More
11 years 5 months ago #96512 by clarkie383
Replied by clarkie383 on topic Re: Gascoyne Trading...
Ok this is what i have found so far Detective...
Rego does not show up in a WA rego check.

1 : Build date 03.05.1973
2 : customer Sweeny United
3 : vehicle GCW ( GCM ) 225000 road train
4 : engine Cat 1693Ta @ 375 hp
5 : gear box Road Ranger RTO12513
6 : front axle Rockwell FF921TW
7 : diffs Rockwell SFDD 4640 @ 5.76 ratio
8 : paint Dulux white 0026 / red 0278 / blue 11594 , Interior Dulon Bronze 15174

More
11 years 5 months ago #96513 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Re: Gascoyne Trading...
Hi Guys Now I

• Topic Author
11 years 5 months ago #96514 by
thanks clarkie and Sandy....Gascoynes always struck me as a runner of premium gear and this stuff was as good as you would've got from the respective manufacturers.....cheers

More
11 years 5 months ago #96515 by Ozfury
Replied by Ozfury on topic Re: Gascoyne Trading...
Wow! Truckies without beer guts? That spec sheet shows tubeless tyre on the drive, would have been a rare thing in 1973.

More
11 years 5 months ago #96516 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Re: Gascoyne Trading...

Wow! Truckies without beer guts? That spec sheet shows tubeless tyre on the drive, would have been a rare thing in 1973.

cheekie bugger!

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
11 years 5 months ago #96517 by sailorV
Replied by sailorV on topic Re: Gascoyne Trading...
Reply to ozfury. These tubeless tyres were at least 10 years before their time in Australia as seen below.

Modern tubeless, radial truck tyres have become the standard on trucks only since the late 1980s. Before then, the most common sizes were 10.00-20 and 10.00-22. The tubeless radial equivalents of these tyres are 11R22.5 and 11R24.5. The low-profile tyres became common in the late 1990s on highway trucks. Low profile offers less weight and better performance.

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #96518 by oldbob70
Replied by oldbob70 on topic Re: Gascoyne Trading...
G`day
Great photos of Gassy`s S21 Micky mouse Fodens,helps me with mine--- as the cab I got for mine is ex Gascoynes [as it shows Gascoynes paint and the hole for spotlight under the trapical roof]
Questions
Did Gascoynes have any S21 8 wheel Prime movers-- or 8 wheel S21 ridgid tray Without the sleeper---My cab could have had sleeper removed at sometime-- as the back of the cab has been butchered around a bit.

My chassis was originally a Pommy Blue Circle cement pressure tanker --as I have the original build sheets for the chassis no.---how the old girl got to OZ I still have not found out
It had been fitted with an S40 cab when I got it---it was rat s-it so when an original cab turned up I scrapped it .
It has 180 Gardner and also RTO 915

Oldbob70

PS has anybody got a lead on the red Plastic strip insert in thedecorative strip and the kite emblem-- all mine have turned black with sunburn.
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by oldbob70.

• Topic Author
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #96519 by

...i know i'm a little biased but Mainline's and Cannington's Peterbilts had tubeless rims in 1963 !!....

...the big issue in the day was not many firms were equipped with the gear and the know-how to pump them up :o

...funny how that big KW had tubeless drive and tubed steer :-/ :-/

Time to create page: 0.512 seconds