Skip to main content

Can we have a Discussion About the forum .

More
9 years 3 months ago #153332 by ianoz
There was 3 replies while i agonised over doing my last post .Thanks Bruce for taking the time to reply ,and answer points raised so far .
I went back and looked at some of my early posts to find Imageshack has removed some photos .The problem i see with using Photo hosting sites ,is each time the thread is viewed and someone scrolls passed the photos to view the new posts it counts as a viewing .Once a certain number of viewings is reached,you get asked to pay for the account ,or the photo is removed and the forum loses out . Another problem is that people with slow internet connections have to wait while the photos download onto the forum to be able to get to the new posts .
But anyway Bruce I hope the new upgrades can helpwith making the forum work smoother and please if it is possible keep us infoemed how things progress .
The topic has been locked.
9 years 3 months ago #153333 by
Bruce thanks for the reply.

Regarding good software for posting photos. "V Bulletin" it can be set up to load either smallkb files or up to I think 15MB on one forum I am on straight from your computer into your post (not quite as quick as facebook it takes pressing 2 more buttons) with photos never lost to the topics. Have a good look at it.

Sounds like the troubles with the server and updating to the current version of this software is a while off yet one can only hope it is sooner rather than later as it is getting harder for people to log on they will go else where.

Trevor
More
9 years 3 months ago #153334 by dno

6) I have yet to see any forum (and I am on several as a member) which can upload photos as easily as Facebook. If you look on Facebook most of the event photos are taken on a phone or tablet and uploaded instantly. If someone knows of forum software that does it please let me know.

The easiest way to load pics direct to the forum from a phone is with an APP called Tapatalk, but the forum has to add there software to enable it.

Tapatalk has just recently updated there latest version and a lot of people are complaining about it, there's talk some are looking at reinstating the older version and making it available as a down load for others. You'd have to search for the latest news regarding this, I also believe you can now download the app for free.

Here's a link.

tapatalk.com/

If anyone down loads the app to there phone it allows you to check in on your favorite
forums or log in and post, add photo's from your smart phone. All very easily, or at least it was from the older version.

Chipping away, one day at a time.
Limited Access Excavations.
Find me on Instagram, or search deankummer.com
More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #153335 by Mairjimmy
Dno wrote

Here's a link.

tapatalk.com/

If anyone down loads the app to there phone it allows you to check in on your favorite
forums or log in and post, add photo's from your smart phone. All very easily, or at least it was from the older version. [/quote]

Thanks dno for that link, will have to try and master that
Colin

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Mairjimmy.
More
9 years 3 months ago #153336 by Beaver

Bruce thanks for the reply.

Regarding good software for posting photos. "V Bulletin" it can be set up to load either smallkb files or up to I think 15MB on one forum I am on straight from your computer into your post (not quite as quick as facebook it takes pressing 2 more buttons) with photos never lost to the topics. Have a good look at it.

Sounds like the troubles with the server and updating to the current version of this software is a while off yet one can only hope it is sooner rather than later as it is getting harder for people to log on they will go else where.

Trevor

I use a few forums with this facility, but they usually require a limit of file size and pixel widths, so it is necessary to resize photos before posting (but easier than uploading to a hosting site).

But the reality is that they need to have a much larger server to host the photos and this costs money. This may be an underlying factor here?

Beaver@ Museum of Fire
  • Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
9 years 3 months ago #153337 by Swishy
Interesting subject

<01> Greeny M80
RE: got to do, with a forum about Heavy Vehicles
HCVC = Historic Commercial Vehicle Club deals with all commercial vehicles from a postmans push bike and bigger

<02> I was not able to attend the Geelong Truck show so there twaz no pics from me..
others don't bother in take n pix as they kno somone else normally will supply plenty to the 4M

<03> This 4M Yabb 2.2.1 Latest V: 2.6 with add on to post pix

<04> Any one seeking advice should take the info supplied and Google it to confirm it is the right/correct thing todo

<05> All 4ms have much the same problem if you dont drift off topic it would be a dull and boring 4m with out many posts

<06> If you step away from the 4M for a cupla days you can not keep up with the latest posts even when you show last 100 posts

<07> Would be best to enable a button to view all posts from the last time visited as many 4Ms do

<08> Freee host sites for pix have there draw backs, I have Imageshack for many years, then they informed many any
pix not viewed in 12 months would be deleted, then they wanted $ to host them n have only 250 pix

<09> over the years a few have contacted me with try n to get them back online.. there needs to be a contact
for those that have problems or lost there password and needs a helping hand

<10> I have supplied animations on 'how to' but the links do not work I will try and reconect

<11> Some 4Ms have the abilty to uplaod pix but the size of pic would be 1/4 the size of screen

<12> With this 4M ideal size for screen is about 900 pixels wide

<13> most cameras take pics 3264 pixels wide or bigger

<14> For fast loading pix that donot take up much memory as in kilobytes you need to shrink the quality of pic not so much the pixel size... no need to have pix of 4500kb when a pic the same size and only 100kb can do the same job.. most printers only have a capacity quality wise for a small kb size of pic

<15> Users paying for the 4M is a no go .... soon many would disappear as some would think they supply more than the $ worth in information

<16> Not so much the $ cost for members but the hassle in doing the payment as many would rather subscribe for 5 years if need be

<17> Over the years there has been a lot more info on the WWW like Facebook but the problem being more people will kno more about you than what you kno

<18> Ideally in Trucks for Sale and Wanted to prevent negative remarks etc poster needs to supply location and pix with a some sort of contact (PM) with nobody else commenting on the item... when sold seller deletes post

All the above possible in a perfect world

;)

Jist

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
More
9 years 3 months ago #153338 by ianoz
This is another Forum set up to look at . www.invisionpower.com/apps/board/
The American Mack forum and Joe Blacks ACME forum use it .I remember Joe saying it offered better features than V Buletin did .
Photos can be downloaded direct from your computer and it has automatic resizing ..As for cost I can't tell you that . But Joe Black Is just an Average bloke ,and he pays for the whole thing out of his own pocket .He is setting up a supporters group , To help pay costs . But 2 years ago , he set up the new forum , Transfered ALL Data from the old V Buletin one and paid running cost from his own pocket So cost can't be outragous .
His Forum also has a chat room , That Swishy can back me in saying it is a great addition to the forum .
More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #153339 by Mrsmackpaul
Hey Ian is that the Big Mack Truck Forum if so it is easier to use and post photo's having said that I never had trouble posting photo's and all I did is just follow the simple instructions provided here

and it has one feature that I find handy a "like button or tab" easy to use and you can show your appreciation for the effort some one has gone to even if you have nothing to add

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Mrsmackpaul.
More
9 years 3 months ago #153340 by Rusty Engines
I went from Townsville to Armidale a little bit of a long drive took a number of picture and put them up here forums.tomm.com.au/index.php/topic,3927.0.html as I thought one of the the members on here would put them up did they ? can't say I saw them
The above forums I mentioned are smaller than this forum and can host pictures and once posted stay there for ever and it is easy to post from your computer BUT as I said before it is the downsizing first that causes the issue
Ian
More
9 years 3 months ago #153341 by IHScout
A great discussion and loads of good ideas. That's what I love about this Forum.

As Bruce said in his post, an upgrade is on it way (albeit slowly) and I'm sure your input will be sought at critical stages. In the mean time keep posting when you can even if it's just to acknowledge someone else for going to the trouble of putting something up for you to read. ;)

Dennis
Time to create page: 0.505 seconds