Skip to main content

Can we have a Discussion About the forum .

More
9 years 3 months ago #153372 by asw120

Now I have a question:
Can I continue to post Dad's photos and update my compressor thread on the forum.

Graham

I would like to see them.

Thanks, Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The topic has been locked.
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #153373 by
Phil

Sorry if the word offended you and as you can see I removed my post from the topic.

Back on topic some other comments have touched on a much deeper problem than just the dramas of posting pictures. I could name at least 20 restoration projects currently underway or just completed that have not been seen by this forum and not thru the lack of those peoples skills on posting pictures.

Re the work done by the mods/admins a job well done to control us all but maybe some more kicks in the butt are needed mine included.

Regarding the posting of other stuff if that's really what people want to see then go for it.

I am a passionate paid up member of the HCVC and the reason I joined the club was because it is perceived to be a truck club maybe I am wrong.

Trevor
More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #153374 by bigcam
To go back to the very beginning, the reason that the HCVC has the Forum at all is because the club is lucky to have some very savvy computer literate members, which is a position that I don't think any other historic truck club in Australia is in.

Jarrod created the Forum and like anything new it's popularity only increased with age, it didn't happen over night but it has grown into the most popular old truck forum in Australia. True, Facebook is huge, but I think you'll find a lot of Facebook followers still check the Forum out regularly wether they login or not.

As to the question of "loosing" members, well everyone comes and goes, maybe they crack the Tom Tit$ over something, or maybe they just don't want to display everything they do on the internet. Go to a Pub or a Bowls Club or whatever, people come and go. It is normal and it isn't a loss.

I'm happy with what we've got, and I think that if it was just that easy to upgrade the software or whatever it is, well it would have been done, but like anything it just isn't as easy as that.
I reckon we all owe Jarrod a Thank You for coming up with the idea and having the brains to put it all in place.

I don't agree that the Tractors, Models or anything else should be deleted. They are of an interest to a lot of people and it is all related. Why rain on someone else's parade when they, and most of the rest of us enjoy seeing these things?

So it isn't perfect, but it's a lot better than what we had before, and I'm sure if it is reasonably possible to upgrade anything the HCVC has a great bunch of computer literate members that will do what they think is possible. I really don't think it comes down to the money issue, moderation aside, the technical aspects of the forum still are a time consuming side of running the forum that you may find hard to outsource.

SloSpeed, quote-
"Back on topic some other comments have touched on a much deeper problem than just the dramas of posting pictures. I could name at least 20 restoration projects currently underway or just completed that have not been seen by this forum and not thru the lack of those peoples skills on posting pictures"
Haven't you got a restoration project on the go? Now I don't know the reasons you don't want to post photo's of your resto, nor do I care, but everyone has there own reason to decide to either post photo's or not post them.
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by bigcam.
More
9 years 3 months ago #153375 by Dave_64
My two bobs worth!

Have just gone through this topic in it's entirety and about all I can say is we ought to be thankful that we can still voice our opinions in this thing we call democracy.

Surely the bottom line is that if something gets up your nose, (offends you) then the easiest thing to do is like some of those lifestyle programs on TV or radio, turn the damn things off!

I probably make very few contributions, but do like to read what others are discussing, wouldn't go more than two/three days without logging in. If there's a section in the forum I am not interested in, I simply avoid it, too easy!

Without brown-nosing, I for one think that the administrators/adjudicators generally do a well balanced job. They are the ones who give freely of their time so that we can all enjoy these forums.

Open discussion is one of the basic tenets of what we not only expect, but also have a fundamental right to.

Cheers, Dave 64
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #153376 by
....what's probably not well understood is that every topic and reply is avidly watched by a lot of people...

...it is a great release at the end of the working day for me....and i'm sure a lot of other viewers...some of us regulars just choose to reply more than others :) :)

...a way to check this would be to add up the "views" over a 24 hour period across all topics...say from midnight to midnight....
9 years 3 months ago #153377 by
It's great to see everyone has views on this subject BUT nothing will change unless you put pen to paper and write to committee of HCVCAust and then it can be addressed and hopfully things might change . Dave
More
9 years 3 months ago #153378 by bparo
I work on the basis that people are here because they want to be which gives everyone a degree of passion about different topics for different reasons. Knowing that I tend to err on the side of not deleting unless it's abusive, could be considered libel or slander or is not family friendly.

There is no training manual for this it is just learn as you go so doubtless someone will find something that they think I should have acted on but didn't. Its all in the interpretation.

Some things such as anonymous moderators need thinking about. Yes it would save the moderators from personal abuse on one hand but it making us 'faceless' has 2 potential effects. Firstly its easier to abuse someone you don't know (it happens on the road all the time) and secondly it makes us stop and think first rather than just act as we will be held accountable and need to be able to explain our actions whether a complainer agrees or not. So it stops us from becoming 'trigger happy'.

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
More
9 years 3 months ago #153379 by geoffb
Been watching this for a while now and isn't it great that we live in a country that you can have a open conversation
Maybe we a section that only has Whites, then another that has only Kw's etc
Thinking this if there are areas topics that you are not interested well for fs don't look
I haven't posted for a while also because there was a comment about friendly banter so to all those I will ring you in future when I have phone credit LOL
Looking back to Friday night common sense (Which doesn't not exist) if we where all the same we would have red Falcons or Inter's
But as commercial vehicles go doesn't a wheel barrow comply as some has used it to earn a dollar
Just loosen up and enjoy the journey because no one is here for a long time
Signed Me
More
9 years 3 months ago #153380 by geoffb
By the way good to see the Seed picked up the white board eraser
Reckon he might have some thing that he is trying to sell LOl
  • Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #153381 by Swishy
SLoooon Car Browny

Gudday M8

Dew U mean wot U say
or
Say wot U mean

n we all can't have white trux
az white iz the color of the surrender flag ...... az in quit

LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Swishy.
Time to create page: 0.492 seconds