Skip to main content

Can we have a Discussion About the forum .

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #153312 by Mairjimmy
I just think this forum is fairly easy to operate other than photo's posting,

( I don't no how any new computer operator could post photo's following the forums advice, I have been posting photo's on here ever since I joined and only just found out what paste is, I know about copy, Just do it the way the daughter showed me)

May be there needs to be a advice post for computer dummies to post photo's. ;) ;) ;) or SWISHY could give one to one lessons. :-? :-?

I have often asked new poster selling something to send photo's to me and I will put them up, some do some don't, it doesn't hurt to be helpful.

I have put up a fair few event photo's and most times there has been thanks and that is always pleasing

Trevor, The four categories are a bonus on here and if you have no interest in them there is no need to open them, not all us have the same interests, there are a couple of categories I don't open to often.

As for bagging some one for what ever reason, it not only happen on here.

Thas Wot Sez Eye

Colin

PS if all else fails I might have to join a CARAVAN forum

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Mairjimmy.
The topic has been locked.
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #153313 by
I look at it this way.

Nice green grass has very few weeds, let it die and the weeds take over. Once the weeds have got control the grass can't grow.

Maybe it's time the ground needs turning over and starting fresh and get back to nice green grass that's simple to maintain.

Trevor
More
9 years 3 months ago #153314 by greenie
Just a personal observation from me, but any forum is subject to
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #153315 by
Colin
Regarding not looking at topics that can't be done when you log in looking at the last 100 posts which is what a lot of us do. You get to see everything.

www.hcvc.com.au/forum/YaBB.pl?action=recent;display=100

Trevor
More
9 years 3 months ago #153316 by Mrsmackpaul
Well all I know is that it used to take easily over an hour every night to read reply ect no one seemed to have to much trouble posting photos or getting someone to post photos for them my how times have changed is it the advent of face book who knows not me I dont have face book
But if the forum is to survive , it would look like something has to change perhaps
If people want to find out why people have left they possibley need to ask those that have left and joined other sites
What all this has to do with posting photos sweet F A but it would appear that posting photos is not all everybody wants to talk about

just some observations

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #153317 by
Hi All .. if i could post a piccy i'd do it, but i just want to have a look at stuff when i get home and even my son gets a bit shirty if he has to post a photo for me ;D :o...

....i must admit i think the forum is a little slow at the moment...and that's why i thought the ''your favourite truck'' heading may attract a bit of dialogue....if only because there are only about 4000 of us forum members who can give a bit of input back :) ::)...

.....i guess things are always slow at the start of the year, and maybe the forum will pick up as we travel through....i personally reckon it's all OK, and a bit of robust discussion has never made me hold a grudge for 30 years ! ;D ;D...

....and if you think that we can all really get along, well my favourite old saying still rings true.....

.....''it's hard to get grown men to hold hands''.....cheers fellas

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #153318 by Bobsboy
Hi,

I suppose ultimately, the HCVC Club Members could "close" the Forum and use it only for chat amongst themselves.
It's their site and their members who maintain, moderate, administer and ultimately pay for it.

If it was Club Members only writing, it would most likely be an entirely self-moderated operation.
(Membership rules would dictate what and who could say what to who and how and with what "tone of voice".)
[plus they would know who they really are.] >:(

I'm certain that their is much more to HCVC than just what I see on the Forum.
Would I become a genuine paid up member just to contribute to the on-line Forum?
Probably not.
Why? Because if I were a Club Member, I would intrinsically realise what a small part of HCVC the Forum is really all about.

Would I read HCVC if it were a closed Forum?
Sure probably maybe if I enjoyed it or learned something from it.
I might even consider becoming a member, given enough reason.

If I didn't like what I read or found it to cliquey or self referencing to bear, then I could go my own "no pay no play" way and keep my unwanted opinions to myself.

I have however been here since 15/4/12 and made 457 contributions (look it up).
My sometimes silly, but not always stupid contributions I believe, is how I "pay" for my Forum Membership.
(A lot of gravy, but not always much meat?) ;D

I even went to the HORRIBLE BOTHER of learning how to post pic's via that cursed PhotoBucket nightmare thing. (Thanks Mr Swishy.)

Could the forum be improved?
Of course, just about everything can be improved.
(The trick is realising when good enough is good enough.)
Am I willing to put my money where my mouth is (and become a Member)?
Obviously not.

I feel confident in saying that 'the problems' with this Forum rarely come from the ranks of the paid up HCVC Members.

So, Forum Only Members.
Straighten up and fly right, do the right thing, say unto others as you would have them say unto you, post lots of pictures and if you don't have something nice/ constructive/ interesting or at least entertaining to say, shut your expletive deleted mouth, go away, and bother someone else you don't know.

That's probably enough said from this little blow in know nothing.

cya

-b

Mucking about on the edge
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Bobsboy.
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #153319 by
Just had a real close look at the figures for the forum

1235 people have more than 5 posts
149 people have 4 posts
238 people have 3 posts
380 people have 2 posts
635 people have 1 post
1367 people have no posts.

So really only 1235 and any new contributors in the other areas have really contributed.

I would go thru and clean out all 1367 people who haven't posted anything(non contributor) then I would go thru and delete anyone who hasn't contributed for the last 5 years first then next month clean out anyone who hasn't contributed for 4 years and so on until you make it the last 12 months.

I would take a guess and say by the end of that process there might only be about 1000 members and maybe less.

Then I would tidy it up every 12 months with anyone who doesn't make at least 5-10 posts per year gone. Sometimes you have to be ruthless and it would get rid of all the takers and you would be left with the givers.

Trevor
More
9 years 3 months ago #153320 by dno
Those that have trouble posting pics might find this link handy.

postimage.org/

Click on the Add image uploading to your forum down the bottom to see how it works, might be worth a shot.

I'm a member of quite a few forums and there all a bit quiet at present. Just like the economy. lol Not such a bad thing if it's just people talking crap to one another. IMO
I'm guessing I'm like many that visit this forum, If I don't have much to add to the post intelligently. I don't post anything. But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy the visit a couple of time's a day.
It's the members that make a forum what it is, quality over quantity all day every day.

Chipping away, one day at a time.
Limited Access Excavations.
Find me on Instagram, or search deankummer.com
More
9 years 3 months ago #153321 by Rusty Engines
Trevor I'm a low poster BUT I enjoy the stories as i like trucks. I could post more BUT I have found that if I do the post it stops dead I have a couple up there now and I know if the same post was by one of the bigger names there would be lots of comments
Pictures
I'm on these forums
forums.tomm.com.au/index.php
www.vintagemowers.net/
www.outdoorking.com/forum/ubbthreads.php
and you load straight up from your computer file BUT BUT is does not always work BECAUSE you have to down size the picture and a number of people can't do that and therefor can't post
Ian
Time to create page: 0.465 seconds