Skip to main content

Fire Trucks

More
8 years 9 months ago #133885 by Beaver
Replied by Beaver on topic Re: Fire Trucks
Actually, the Mack is a 1942 model, one of about 40 that came here under Lend-Lease.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #133886 by eerfree
Replied by eerfree on topic Re: Fire Trucks
Thanks for that Beaver, my fault for not checking to see if there was a compliance plate.
Bob.

Bob,
I do not know how I got over the hill without ever getting to the top.

More
8 years 8 months ago #133887 by iank
Replied by iank on topic Re: Fire Trucks
Hi All, I don't recall posting here before but I will attempt to post a photo of an ex ADF Mercedes LA911A Fire Truck I have.
But I do have an ulterior motive for bringing this up just now. I have a question for the "enlightened panel" regarding starting an "old girl" like this during cold weather. Does anyone know if the OM352 engine in such a truck have any "special" cold starting procedure? Over the year or so I have owned this truck I have never had much trouble starting it - usually cranks over for perhaps 30 secs (?) then fires up. This winter (and it has been very cold here cf normal) I am having to crank it much longer before it eventually "struggles" into life.
Giving this some thought, I have realized I don't know of any "Cold Start" switch, etc. or even if there is a specified procedure.

Can any of you knowledgeable crew please give me any leads on this?

Many thanks, iank ;D

(ps Haven't been able to post photo yet ?? Maybe not sufficient permissions ??) :(

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #133888 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Fire Trucks
iank
Gudday M8

Ifn it aint got problems crank n her over
jist heat the air go n into motor
Heat @ the motor side of air cleaner or remove aircleaner
Electric heat gun cums 2 mind

Aerostart tiz nuther way
but have heard they can B adictive

do not try n heat air ifn U already tried aerostart or it could B deff nin

LOL

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Swishy.

More
8 years 8 months ago #133889 by defective
Replied by defective on topic Re: Fire Trucks
...another thing is to make sure there's plenty of fuel in the system and a fair amount in the tank...it all helps.

More
8 years 8 months ago #133890 by iank
Hi Guys, Thanks for your helpful comments. I must confess to being aware of the facts you mention - plenty of fuel, warm air, "Start You Bastard", etc. I have a few older tractors, etc. so have had a bit of experience in this area!! But these machines all have Glow Plug type starting systems. I am sure (now) that my MB Fire Truck does not have gp's.

iank ;D

More
8 years 8 months ago #133891 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: Fire Trucks
iank, if "Bugly" doesn't chime in here in the next day or so, Send him a PM.. As He owned a 911 for a while, & he might know..

As for posting Pictures, you first have to upload your pics to a photo hosting site .. (eg; Photobucket/flicker) then put the image codes up here, so people can see your pics..

Sounds daunting I know, But bit like riding a bike, once you get the hang of It it's easy..
The forum Owners are in the process making It much easier to post pics..But until then we have to use this method..

Check out the FAQ section for help/advice of posting Photos.

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
8 years 8 months ago #133892 by steveb
Replied by steveb on topic Re: Fire Trucks
iank...Quite often in the cold weather they have throuble fuelling the injector pump...Open the bleed screw at the fuel filter and bleed then bleed the injector pump..
Diesel thickens in the cold and won't flow as it should.
Bleeding and the pressure boost usually helps..
Have to do this with an OM346 motor.I have two , one starts easy and the other I have to do this prcedure to start it if it is cold

More
8 years 8 months ago #133893 by iank
Once again, thanks guys for your informed, helpful comments here. You may recall that I originated this subject really to satisfy myself that my truck did not have a specific cold start procedure. With your help, I have certainly achieved that. I do not intend to go any further at this stage in attempting to make it any easier/quicker to start. I have found with fully charged batteries, some warmer weather, and a start about once a week (or more) it is starting much better - less than 10 sec crank. So for now I will leave "well enough alone"!!

Thanks again, Iank

More
8 years 8 months ago #133894 by Bugly
Replied by Bugly on topic Re: Fire Trucks
Hi Iank

I'll have a look in my Merc handbook. I think I've still got it, unless I left it in the truck when I sold it. I never had problems starting, but then our ambient temperature in WINTER is about 28 degrees!! ;)

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

Time to create page: 0.512 seconds