9 years 3 months ago #133845 by wedgetail84
Replied by wedgetail84 on topic Re: Fire Trucks

The 1st 2 photos are of a different type Rural Fire Brigade unit

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #133846 by wedgetail84
Replied by wedgetail84 on topic Re: Fire Trucks
OK our fire truck - a mk4

Thought I might throw some up of the grader as it's in the workshop to and does fire fighting duty

More
9 years 2 months ago #133847 by oldfulla
Replied by oldfulla on topic Re: Fire Trucks
Wedgetail

Cant help with the model of the Grader - didnt get close enought to have a look. And yes - the ex Army Inter is the same model as yours.
Oldfulla

More
9 years 2 months ago #133848 by DeeCee
Replied by DeeCee on topic Re: Fire Trucks
[IMG

[IMG

These are our two ... Dennis and 1927 Chev

More
9 years 2 months ago #133849 by Mairjimmy
Replied by Mairjimmy on topic Re: Fire Trucks
DeeCee,,, The Chev has a not standard fire extinguisher on the running board ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) Does Beaver know about the Dennis :-? :-? :-? :-? and I like the shed.
Colin

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!

More
9 years 2 months ago #133850 by oldfulla

DeeCee,,, The Chev has a not standard fire extinguisher on the running board ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) Does Beaver know about the Dennis :-? :-? :-? :-? and I like the shed.
Colin

Col
Not sure what the context of your description of the extinguisher being not standard meant. But such extinguishers of that type were standard into the 1970's. From memory - RED was CO2 (dry powder was another neme) and BLUE was foam. To activate - simply turn upside down and shake. They had a 'dry charge' in a container under the screw on top - which activated when mixed with the water below - once turned upside down.

They were standard on fire trucks and hung on the wall of every major building as their safety thing. They only had a fairly short shelf life (12 months I think) - so recharging them was a big business.

As I said - not sure if that is the context you meant it in.

Oldfulla

More
9 years 2 months ago #133851 by Mairjimmy
Replied by Mairjimmy on topic Re: Fire Trucks
oldfulla,,,I have studied it a bit closer and I see it's not the one I thought it was, me thinking it was the water one you blow up with air, thank for bringing it to my attention :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ what is your thoughts on the year that type of extinguisher first appeared
Colin

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!

More
9 years 2 months ago #133852 by Beaver
Replied by Beaver on topic Re: Fire Trucks
The Dennis is a late 40s - early 50s Model F1. I don't have records of one going to Herberton, but if someone can provide me with a chassis number (plate on firewall under bonnet) I can get more info.

THe extinguisher is a "Soda & Acid" type. The cylinder contains a pre-mixed solution of sodium bi-carbonate. A small bottle in a "cage" at the top contains sulphuric acid. To use, the cylinder is turned upside, the acid mixes mixes with the bicarb to produce CO2 which pressurises the cylinder and forces the liquid out. Extinguishers used on vehicles usually had a screw down lock in the cap to prevent the acid escaping during irregular movement.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

More
9 years 2 months ago #133853 by oldfulla

oldfulla,,,I have studied it a bit closer and I see it's not the one I thought it was, me thinking it was the water one you blow up with air, thank for bringing it to my attention :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ what is your thoughts on the year that type of extinguisher first appeared
Colin

Colin

A long time ago would be my guess. I think they were one of those things in life that didnt change for many years - then all of a sudden dissapeared - replaced by the BSF type?? for hand use and antomatic sprinkler systems took over the fire protection in Commercial Buildings.

On P4 of this topic there is a 1923 Garwood with the earlier brass ones fitted. I think the brass ones worked on the same principle. Probably only chosen in the brass so they could be polished like everything else fitted to fire trucks back then LOL. They were considered real show trucks for a long time - with a lot of chrome & brass fittings used along with the bright RED paint work. Remember the firemen wearing those big heavy brass helmets?
Oldfulla

More
9 years 2 months ago #133854 by Beaver
Replied by Beaver on topic Re: Fire Trucks
This type of extinguisher survived in to the early 70s. THey were superseded by "stored pressure" types - fill them up with water, and pump them up using a compressor.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

Time to create page: 0.648 seconds