Skip to main content

Old trucks

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #198298 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Old trucks
This is another PROV/SLV photo with a vague caption. I am working with three hobbies to tie it down. The ship is Pioneer Glen, but I am finding nothing online and am emailing contacts in two shiplover groups. It came via a railway group, where we are lost for identifying the wagon (wagon helps with year, and year helps with wagons). Our best hope is with the trucking hobby. Can anyone pick make/model/year for the prime mover? That will set an oldest-possible date. The truck may well have been several years old when given this task.
The ship was built in USA during WWII. The wagon is for SECV, part of a 1952-54 expansion and renewal. The prime mover could be much older.

Roderick.

Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Roderick Smith. Reason: add some known fact.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #198348 by Roderick Smith
1950s: Queensland. A Ford mainline ute and an unidentified fire truck. (Michael Cunningham, Rosemary Platen collection). Rosemary posted this to facebook Queensland Government Railways, Days Gone By. She has approved my reposting of this crop. The original showed a fire-damaged loco, built from May 1955. The flash on the Ford was introduced with the 1955 model. The location is unidentified, but I am plumping for Toowoomba or Warwick.
The truck may yet be the best dating clue.
Along the way, various red herrings were introduced re the Ford (single spinner, twin spinner), and so I have been retracing the history. The ute was Australian.
< barnfinds.com/down-under-truck-1958-ford-mainline-ute >
The 1949 single spinner and 1951 twin spinner, both of which had ute versions in Australia < en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1949_Ford >
The 1952 for Mainline, which started with single spinner and side valve, and moved onto ohv and a V emblem in the grille < en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mainline >
The Australian ute was based on the USA convertible, which had extra X bracing under the floor.
Ford Customline < en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Customline >
The V-shaped side chrome came with 1955 < en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1955_Ford >

Roderick

Attachments:

More
5 years 3 months ago #198349 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic ~1955 Ford Mainline ute
Looking through the Mainline ute's passenger window, can see a glimpse of an International badge on the truck in background
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roderick Smith

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
5 years 3 months ago #198350 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Old trucks
https://www.hcvc.com.au/forum/attachment/11787
Think n Freighter float
and a Yellow Express lorry with the black mudguards
also
RE: the ute
the side strip sloping up to top of guard twas a customline thing of 1957
me thort the utes were a year B hind so guess n the ute could B1958
but
there again
wadda eye kno
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
5 years 3 months ago #198352 by Tired Iron
Replied by Tired Iron on topic Old trucks
Agree with Dave-Inter.
Either AA going by Swishy's Mainline date, or maybe AB if the Mainline is in real good nick.

Cheers

More
5 years 3 months ago #198353 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Old trucks
Did they have aluminium Ladders in the '50s ???

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #198354 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Old trucks
In the 1930s, a fire department located in Norway asked ALCOA, the Aluminium Company of America, whether there was an alternative to the heavy and bulky timber extension ladders that they were using. They needed a type of ladder that was more reliable and easier to handle and manoeuvre. In addition, an innovative, more efficient and useful ladder design was needed by business, industry and DIY users. Because it’s light in weight, an aluminium ladder is ideal for a myriad of commercial and domestic uses. Unlike a wooden ladder, it is not susceptible to fire.

Sam Carbis is credited with inventing the first aluminum ground extension ladder in 1930. As building heights grew, the fire service needed ground ladders that were longer but would not be too heavy for firefighters. Carbis started the Aluminum Ladder Company (ALCO), and it has been around ever since. It's based in Florence, South Carolina, and manufactures the ALCO-LITE ground fire ladders.
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Lang.

More
5 years 3 months ago #198355 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Old trucks
If you zoom in and look through the rear 1/4 window of the Mainline you can see ROCK on the door of the Fire Truck.

Suggest from Rockhampton?

I tried to look at the rego sticker on the Mainline but my eyes are too old and weak.

More
5 years 3 months ago #198356 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Old trucks
Fire truck is an AA. You can tell by the bonnet.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
5 years 2 months ago #198702 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Old trucks
Over three groups, the earlier set was certainly Rockhampton; the popular vote is AA, not AB.

850124Th Montevideo Uruguay - old trucks. (Roderick Smith).
Cuba is famous for being a haven for old USA cars. Less known, so was Uruguay. I guess that the one rhs is a late 40s to early 50s GMC. I can't guess the one lhs.

Roderick.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.586 seconds