Skip to main content

1959 Dodge

More
7 years 9 months ago #172073 by S Burns
Replied by S Burns on topic 1959 Dodge
I have started sanding the old tray ready for painting back to the original colour, I like the look of the sanded timber and was thinking of a clear coat over what I have sanded. Any thoughts???

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #172074 by S Burns
I have also started repairs on minor rust issues on the floor of the cab, will post some updates soon!! Really enjoying working on the old girl!!

Attachments:

More
7 years 9 months ago #172083 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic 1959 Dodge
Looking good thanks for sharing

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
7 years 9 months ago #172088 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic 1959 Dodge
regarding clearcoating the sanded timber you need to bear in mind your plan for the vehicle as a whole for it to 'look right'. Also are you planning to carry anything (even eskies or overnight bags) on it?
If you are planning a fully repainted cab then the timbers should be painted or it will look strange with shiny cab and weathered timbers. You may get away with painted timbers and older paint on the cab as timber trays often needed refurbishment or maintenance.

If you are planning to walk on the tray avoid anything excessively shiny or glossy. All you need to do is walk on the tray with wet shoes while the truck isn't parked dead level to end up lying either on the tray or on the ground. I just give mine a coat of deck oil every couple of years (which it is due for again now - maybe when the weather warms up in spring I will get around to it)

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
7 years 5 months ago #176499 by Geekay
Replied by Geekay on topic 1959 Dodge

S Burns wrote: Thanks oldgmc
Tired Iron, the ute has been parked up for the last 5 years, but all still good. From what I have read the pilothouse was a dodge promotion referring to the good vision provided by the curved windscreen and the 3 rear windows

Yep, the adverts for these showed a guy sitting up there like a "pilot" with a peak cap on. Dodge where explaining why they were better than chevs etc.

Attachments:

More
7 years 5 months ago #176713 by S Burns
I have completed my new tray deck Still have to do the sides and headboard. I have done the rust in the floor of the cab and put down some dynamat to help with keeping the noise down a little will put up some progress photos.

Need to have some more rust cut out of the rear of the cab, trying to decide to tackle it myself or find somebody to do it.

I have taken the seats out and sent of to the upholsterer to recover.

New dance floor!! sourced the timber from a local builder who had some leftover, its kiln dried tongue and groove black butt flooring finished with a decking oil. The lines in the deck are shadows from the domestic power lines overhead.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul

More
7 years 5 months ago #176715 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic 1959 Dodge
Looking good, if you want a rope rail just add a bit of 3/4 gal pipe under those bolts that hold the coaming to the bearers.

More
7 years 5 months ago #176723 by S Burns
atkipete, I have the original tie down hooks to go back on, I will do them when the headboard and side gates get done

More
7 years 5 months ago #176724 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic 1959 Dodge
looks great to me

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
7 years 4 months ago #176886 by S Burns
Does anyone have an idea what the original green colour of my truck would have been called?

Time to create page: 0.490 seconds