Skip to main content

1966 C1600 transmission

More
6 years 11 months ago #182442 by AaronS
Hi all

Slowly but surely getting "Bessie" running well. Many trips to market with sheep and cattle but she gulps air. Have not been able to identify source but can now bleed a 6.354 with my eyes closed. Really enjoy driving her.

Anyway. Topic at hand. The tranny is not in good nick. I am keen to get another preferably reco. I have no idea what it is other than a 4 speed. How do I tell?

Also, are there any newer boxes I could replace it with?

Thanks
Aaron

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #182444 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic 1966 C1600 transmission
Should be an NP435. Common as. All the C and D lines (with 4 speeds) up to your size had them.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #182446 by AaronS
Replied by AaronS on topic 1966 C1600 transmission
Excellent. Great info. Will look into them.

Being relatively new to this, will all np435 have the same ratios or do I need a specific model or variant?

Regards
Aaron
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by AaronS. Reason: More info

More
6 years 11 months ago #182448 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic 1966 C1600 transmission
Aaron, more than likely it is what Inter calls their T17 box, if so, is in reality a New Process 435. Can usually tell by if it has the alloy top, or if it's a Warner, will have the cast iron top. Magnet will tell you either way. IF it is the common NP435, very simple box to rebuild, plenty of spares available both here or in the States. Usually a pretty robust box and unless shovelling huge heaps of HP into them, very reliable although some on here say they have had trouble with the straight cut non synchro first gear. Dave

More
6 years 11 months ago #182449 by AaronS
Thanks Dave. So much info here.

More
6 years 11 months ago #182455 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic 1966 C1600 transmission
Aaron, just a bit of a heads up, if you do have the NP435, it was used also extensively by both Dodge and Ford. Topic has been well covered elsewhere in this forum. Although looking identical, there are some subtle differences between applications, input/output shafts, splines etc. Good transission bloke should know the differences and usage. Dave

More
6 years 11 months ago #182472 by oldgmc
Replied by oldgmc on topic 1966 C1600 transmission
I had this problem with a Hino the valves in the Lift pump were leaking back so in the morning the fuel system was full of air once it was bled it would be ok all day till the night and the whole cycle would start again

Old trucks will make you poor but not unhappy

More
6 years 11 months ago #182474 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic 1966 C1600 transmission
Aaron if the fuel is leaking back when the motor isnt running you have a leak in your return line that goes back to the tank or the pick up that returns to the bottom of the tank might have cracked or fallen off

The fuel is meant to return to the tank when not running but it is also meant to siphon up the return line so the motor stays primed

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
6 years 11 months ago #182475 by AaronS
Thanks all

New lift pump and lines and fittings back to tank

Also happens intermittently. Runs fine then gasp. Start of trip. Middle of trip. End of trip. Doesn't matter.

A

More
6 years 11 months ago #182485 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic 1966 C1600 transmission
Have you checked the plastic mesh filter in the regulating valve assy in the ally top assy of the inj. pump.Very fine,and can only be cleaned properly with fine reverse water jet.Or replace with new.

Time to create page: 0.672 seconds