Skip to main content

1966 C1600 transmission

More
6 years 11 months ago #182627 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic 1966 C1600 transmission
AaronS,
Just went out the shed and had a bit of a squiz at the NP435 Inter box I have here, that number you posted, was that a casting number (raised letters on passenger side of box??).
I don't have any tags on mine, if it's any help, NP boxes usually start with a letter then about a half dozen numbers, (mine the letter 'C' then about 5 numbers).
Don't know much about Inters using Warner Gear tranny's, although I believe they used them in the Scouts and Scout 2's. Mine has a large bracket on the rear extension housing which looks like it originally had the transmission brake drum bolted to it.
They do look very similar in appearance, but the NP has the alloy top, Warner has the cast iron top.
What parts are you looking for?
I wouldn't like to bet the farm on them being interchangeable, although in saying that, FORD used both makes and had a common bellhousing, according to O/S forums.
If your looking to do one up, I had no trouble getting the bearings and seals for my NP, local bearing suppliers came good,did a bit of swapping of internals back and forth. But if you take that route, you have to watch they had subtle differences, like different height towers, different reach in the gear stick finger, different input as well as output splines and diameters etc. Funny, most Ford and Dodge stuff for the NP435 can be swapped, but Inter seems to have had them built to their own specs, probably so you had to go to Inter for parts.
They're still around, if you don't want to rebuild your own, suss out the transmission joints, although they are still bringing top dollars.
Hope that's some help, Dave

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #182665 by AaronS
Replied by AaronS on topic 1966 C1600 transmission
Thanks Dave and everyone else

So, after digging and searching I believe I have a Fuller/Eaton/??? T34/35. It is the design of the brake band and the location of certain things that make me think so. I always wanted a 5-speed and I hope that after 3 years of driving this all I had to do to get one was move the shifter up and to the right. Had just assumed it was a 4-speed.

I assume I cannot just swap with a NP435? I think I will just replace with a reco transmission.

Aaron

More
6 years 11 months ago #182666 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic 1966 C1600 transmission
Aaron

For what it is worth. On my 6-354 powered Commer I had similar problems.

The Commer return line goes all the way back to the tank.

I found the plastic fuel lines had become hard and brittle resulting in pick-up line sucking air through hairline cracks. This was replaced for about 20 dollars with 1/4 inch plastic truck air line of same diameter.

The return line also developed cracks seen as fuel on the chassis.

Best thing I ever did was put an electric pump on top of the fuel tank. This not only gives constant pressure but can eliminate air leaks because the fuel is being pushed not sucked and leaks can be seen from fuel weeping. You can still go through the original pump.

Best thing is it reduces bleed time to seconds with no hand pumping of the mechanical pump.

Lang

More
6 years 11 months ago #182668 by AaronS
Thanks Lang. That was what I wanted to hear.....

I had an electric pump on it which I removed, and i replaced all suction lines with rubber fuel hose. I suspect the previous owner did that to try and remedy the situation. In actual fact the issue was the fuel lines at the injector pump.

Am going to try and see if it fixes it.

Regards
Aaron

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #182671 by Blackduck59
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Blackduck59.

More
6 years 11 months ago #182672 by AaronS
Fantastic BlackDuck!

More
6 years 11 months ago #182677 by AaronS
Been speaking with a guy (Ed) in Dubbo and the box is a T98. 4 speed Warner box. he recos them.

More
6 years 11 months ago #182690 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic 1966 C1600 transmission
Q1...yep, Q2.....Q3......maybe,sometimes to front of flange,sometimes as a spacer between yoke and tailshaft. Q4.....maybe,if the spigot bearing is the same size.The brake drum may be different,though,as may be the flange size.Q2........My book lists 885885R91 as box assy,885886R1 as housing.so close,but no bikkie.By the way,the box was called T15 or T15A by Inter,corresponding with Warner T98 and T98A

More
6 years 11 months ago #182691 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic 1966 C1600 transmission
Commer fitted a larger version of this box,sometimes as a four speed,or with a gearcase stuck on the back as a 5 speed overdrive. I think they just copied the design,but they also copied the 5 speed Inter box as a bigger version,and it was branded U in a circle.It was also fitted with an overdrive as the famous "Six speed Commer box",one of the best.

More
6 years 11 months ago #182692 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic 1966 C1600 transmission
Aaron

I mentioned this in a thread a year or so ago.

The bleed screw on the Perkins is a fiddly little nut requiring a tiny spanner - as you know. Take the screw out and cut a 30 mm long bit off a nail. Silver solder or braze the nail across the head of the bleed screw to form a "T". You now have a quick bleed screw, just reach down unscrew with your fingers, no dropping spanners or trying to see what you are doing in the dark.

Lang

Time to create page: 0.503 seconds