Skip to main content

1966 C1600 transmission

More
6 years 11 months ago #182695 by AaronS
Replied by AaronS on topic 1966 C1600 transmission
Thanks again all

So %*#ody confusing. Same gearbox different name. Same gearbox different spindle. Sheesh

John.K. I think that is it and it was me under the truck trying to scrape of crud and that was the best I got. And it all lines up.

Lang. Nice idea. I forgot to mention one of the reasons I took the electric pump off was because when driving at night and the pump running the battery wouldn't charge. Will consider putting back in if I put in a better alternator.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #182696 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic 1966 C1600 transmission
I wouldnt waste money on a Warner box.Get a NP from the relevant sized truck.Even if you get the box with the small spigot,you can easily make an adapter to fit into the bearing to mount it.Pity you arent in Brisbane,there s two trucks in the yard with theseT17 trannys with or had Perks,and the big spigot(1")

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #182703 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic 1966 C1600 transmission
Aaron

I would go for the Commer 6 speed. The normal Commer Perkins 5 speed was an outstanding full synchro box smooth as silk but the 6 speed (from the knocker as mentioned above) is the same box with a bolt-on section at the back which gives you a very nice overdrive.

If the electric pump overloaded your alternator there is something seriously wrong - they don't draw much more than a tail light.

Lang
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Lang.

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #182704 by AaronS
Replied by AaronS on topic 1966 C1600 transmission
Interesting. I was thinking that. But this would then require a new or modified bellhousing and modified tailshaft? So in the end the cost could just spiral past the $1200.

Lang, I thought they drew quite a bit. If that is the case then something else to look into. Thanks
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by AaronS. Reason: Lang beat me to it

More
6 years 11 months ago #182719 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic 1966 C1600 transmission
Just looked up the draw on a few electric fuel pumps. Average is 6-8 amps on start up and drop back to 3-5 amps when operating. This certainly should have no effect on a normal charging system.

Lang

More
6 years 11 months ago #182739 by JOHN.K.
the Commer 5 and 6 speed boxes are very large,they fit to a Perkins with an alloy 1 piece housing.Also have a 1600 series tailshaft,and no handbrake .If you had a Perk from a Commer,you d have the bits.Often see the whole lot on ebay as Perk for sale.Incidentally,the Commer boxes were fitted to the bogie drive Dodges that many councils had in the seventies.On a 361 motor using a Sae #2 housing.

More
6 years 11 months ago #182742 by 600Dodge
Replied by 600Dodge on topic 1966 C1600 transmission
What a coincidence, I'm just about to try to start my 361 Dodge and try to get it out its home.

More
6 years 11 months ago #182743 by 600Dodge
The mongrel starts but of course the clutch went to the floor, if I decide to burn it do you want the gearbox before I do?

More
6 years 11 months ago #182749 by JOHN.K.
I was demonstrating a 361 Dodge D2F to a guy,when a huge spider crawled on him.He tried to jump out at 70mph.Very fast truck,when petrol was 8c a litre.The old Dodge is down the back yard,sad sight.

More
6 years 11 months ago #182758 by 600Dodge
Well I didn't burn mine, got it started, fixed the clutch cylinder and managed to remove it from where it has sat for years, now time to give it a wash check the tyres and maybe go for a drive.

Time to create page: 0.575 seconds