Skip to main content

A few Car Carriers

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #228965 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic A few Car Carriers
1959 Chrysler Imperial. The bottom one could be Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth or Desoto. I will look at the various chrome strips and colour segments to discover which.

Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, Pierre

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago #228966 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic A few Car Carriers
The latest classic Restoes on YouTube has an immaculate original 1963 Imperial.
The following user(s) said Thank You: overlander, PaulFH

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #228967 by Lang
Here is a 1959 Chrysler. It has straight top fins.

Here is a 1959 Plymouth Fury with curved fins.

And a Desoto Firedome with Chrysler style straight fins

And a 1959 Dodge Coronet with "attached" fins. Note the roof and windows are identical to the Plymouth.

Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1936ace, cobbadog, overlander, PaulFH, Pierre

More
2 years 4 months ago #228969 by overlander
Replied by overlander on topic A few Car Carriers
Greetings. The car carrier isn't anything special but the 'Bulgemobiles' are fabulous. Just had to ask as in my youth a chum used to borrow his Dad's Impala and we'd go to the fingerbowl between Nuri and Tanunda. Didn't matter what movies were being shown. Can't help but think of the absurd fuel economy but geez you'd look good posing in one of those cars. When I logged in I came up as 1936ace so I logged out and started again. Tremendous photos Lang and thanks to all who helped identify the collectables. Pete
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #228972 by Brocky45
Replied by Brocky45 on topic A few Car Carriers
And I think the truck under them is a Freightliner??? Which would be unusual as the Big Three of that era usually demanded that their carriers use their brand of trucks..
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Brocky45.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 4 months ago #228975 by 77louie400
Replied by 77louie400 on topic A few Car Carriers

Greetings. The car carrier isn't anything special but the 'Bulgemobiles' are fabulous. Just had to ask as in my youth a chum used to borrow his Dad's Impala and we'd go to the fingerbowl between Nuri and Tanunda. Didn't matter what movies were being shown. Can't help but think of the absurd fuel economy but geez you'd look good posing in one of those cars. When I logged in I came up as 1936ace so I logged out and started again. Tremendous photos Lang and thanks to all who helped identify the collectables. Pete

A bit off topic, but the hype of today about fuel economy of the past is not quite based in fact, the 1970 Ford Capri that I have and have owned since the mid 70's will do 35 miles per gallon, (speedo is in mile's) and the ford Louie that I run to Brisbane in the early 80's would do the 1400k's from home to Rocklee on 720 liters, if you keep it under 95k's, there is not much around of the new ones today that do better than that
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, oliver1950

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #228980 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic A few Car Carriers
77Louie400 The Ford "Crappie" was a great car. I bought a 1969, 1600cc one as a demonstrator in late 1969. It was Old English White and looked magnificent. I soon found how light it was in the rear end and put a heavy toolbox in one corner of the boot and a heavy socket set in the opposite side. I sold it after 19 years and 5 months, in the Melbourne Trading Post for $600. By that time it was on it's third engine and second gearbox, or vice versa and both ends of the body were stuffed. I have always regretted selling it.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Morris.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 4 months ago #228985 by prodrive
Replied by prodrive on topic A few Car Carriers
Yes, the cars we've had, the cars we've stuffed, and the cars we should have kept eh? So so many...
Anyway we didn't know any better did we?
Louie, thats why my dad kept steering 1418's for many years after other blokes had graduated to much more powerful (and probably better) trucks- 7 mpg !! he'd always say, these other blokes are getting three, four, five...
Best economy I had was an L10 Cummins in an S line, that was simply amazing I reckon. 10MPG if you just drove without flogging it to death.
Anyways heres a few more car parks for your viewing pleasure...

The last one of the VW's reminds me of being a kid, loading cars with dad- that was probably at the Clayton (?) Volksy factory that I think later became Nissan, so i would have loaded out of there myself with Bluebirds and Pulsars for Arnolds to Sydney and Brisbane.

Cheers
Rich
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, Pierre, wee-allis, xspanrman, oliver1950

More
2 years 4 months ago #229060 by PaulFH
Replied by PaulFH on topic A few Car Carriers
Overlander forwarded a full view of the load of cars, and spec sheet for the Freightliner.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, overlander, Brocky45

More
2 years 4 months ago #229068 by Lang
A few more car carriers.

The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, overlander, PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.518 seconds