Skip to main content

A few Car Carriers

More
2 years 4 months ago #229706 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic A few Car Carriers
And you can have that on your own, thanks very much!
Was bad enough doing two up in a proper bunk, one eye open all the time, let alone sleeping in an enclosed hatch inches above the road, and only the front skin for frontal protection!
Leave me out of that one, get the horrors just looking at it!
Dave_64
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago #229707 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic A few Car Carriers
Yes, count me out also.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 4 months ago #229720 by prodrive
Replied by prodrive on topic A few Car Carriers
I did a lot of miles as a kid with dad in the car carrier, on many an occaision I'd jump in to a car on the back so I could stretch out and watch the miles roll past..
The favorite car was always the rear one up on the top deck, as it was usually a station wagon, so you could lay the seats back and lots of room!
We even picked up some hitch hikers one day, and they sat up there in the front seats with me in the back, from memory they had a Rodney Rude cassette, so we shoved it in the stereo of the new Bluebird wagon and sat there laughing as we cruised along in style..
Loved being up there at night, the car rode beautifully up there, a gentle sway, trucks going the other way, watching the occassional ciggy get flung out of dads window in a shower of sparks- as you did in those days!
Imagine doing any of that today, my god you'd get locked up. But I simply loved it, and it's a wondeful memory of great times spent on the road with dad.
Cheers
Rich
The following user(s) said Thank You: allan, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, overlander, PaulFH

More
2 years 4 months ago #229721 by prodrive
Replied by prodrive on topic A few Car Carriers
The following user(s) said Thank You: bparo, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, overlander, PaulFH, Tacho, xspanrman, Zuffen

More
2 years 4 months ago #229730 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic A few Car Carriers
Back in the '80s, PMC in Adelaide produced a coach referred to as a Super Decker. It was the same height as a double decker, but all the passengers were on the upper level, with the rest room, luggage lockers and driver all down stairs.

They weren't a bad thing to drive until you were two-up. The bunk was situated behind the front axle, with access gained by going through an opening behind the drivers seat. The only good thing was, it was totally dark, with no access to a window or such.

And you think being in that truck bunk would be scary. If anyone was in the coach bunk in an accident, no-one would even know you were there until the flies gave you away.

More
2 years 4 months ago #229735 by overnite
No thanks.

More
2 years 4 months ago #229756 by grandad
Replied by grandad on topic A few Car Carriers
A couple more

The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, overlander, PaulFH, asw120

More
2 years 4 months ago #229786 by overnite
“Guy”, that’s a name I’ve forgotten.

More
2 years 4 months ago #229798 by PaulFH
Replied by PaulFH on topic A few Car Carriers
Single tyre axles on the semi and 4 wheel trailer.
Looks to have king pin type steering for the trailer.

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #229825 by Southbound
Replied by Southbound on topic A few Car Carriers
Saw this car carrier at Tailem Bend last week, it’s not a classic truck or trailer but the load certainly is.

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Southbound.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, overlander, PaulFH, grandad, V8Ian, wee-allis, Brocky45, PDU

Time to create page: 0.531 seconds