Skip to main content

First Kenworths "down under"

More
11 years 11 months ago #80298 by prodrive
Just a thought..
When I saw the colors on that bonnet i thought "gee that looks like the bonnet in Frank B's yard in Geelong- pretty sure I posted the pics a couple of years ago? But I can't find it now! It was just the bonnet, the whole truck is there, I'm sure, but of course "he's going to do it up".....
Anyway I'll see if I can slip in for another look!
cheers
Richard

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #80299 by Swishy

ProDriver
Gudday M8
can remember someone putn up a pic in a Geelong wreckers yard of said beast
a search never showd nutn
Now we kno U B the one
Thanx 4 th@

LOL

B good ifn U can grab the chassis #........ front drivers side
May B JotS or Efective can correct me n pin point the x act location

Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by Swishy.

• Topic Author
11 years 11 months ago #80300 by
Replied by on topic Re: First Kenworths "down under"
G'day guys.... The S-model Prodrive is referring to in Frank B's yard would be either the Martin's Overland or the Shell Oil S-models.Frank has both chassis in Geelong and from all reports doing a great job with restoring one of them.
But is not the same S-model pictured.... Cheers James.

• Topic Author
11 years 10 months ago #80301 by

Hello Jimmy. It was good to see a photo of the KW rig truck,bought back some memorys of my first time in the OZ oil patch,12 years with ODE(now called ENSIGN) as a rig mechanic and still with them. Always had a strong passion for the older trucks which still last today!!some of the mechanics considered the older trucks as junk and a zero care factor was in place,crying shame when this happens.You might see this on the KW rig truck.As soon as the truck pusher found out that i was a truck mechanic that new how to repair properly,they had me doing extra time to do work on the classics!!!!Excellent idea but not for the wife. I have some photos of some early ODE KW rig trucks in Libya(still in use) and a b model rig truck in Indonesia.Photos will have to be dug out of the cupboard when i get off the rig in 2 weeks and post them for all to enjoy.
dieselman

Wonder what ever become of Dieselman... was looking forward to seeing the pics of the ODE trucks. Cheers James.

More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #80302 by Cams290
Hi guys, there is a page on Facebook called "Fast trucking in the 70's and 80's"
www.facebook.com/groups/274009157084/

If you can get your head around some of the BS that goes on there is some very interesting pictures and stories.
One particular gentleman called Willfred Haywood was a driver with the Bottle Manufacturing Co in Abbottsford in the 50's and 60's...........he has put some unbelievable pictures up of the early model Kenworth Seattles pulling double roadtrains in arduous conditions from Melbourne to Darwin.
He is a wealth of knowledge and it is great that he is sharing his pics and stories with us, he even has some 8mm movies of his trips apparantly.
Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by Cams290.

• Topic Author
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #80303 by
Great find there Cams290... I had the pleasure of meeting Wilfred in Alice Springs a couple of years back (thanks to Pat V.) and yes he was a wealth of information.... Cheers James.

More
11 years 8 months ago #80304 by Lang
This was built for Caltex 1967. Photo taken when I had it a few years back. 671 powered.

Saw it at a truck show recently and it has been left outside and now looks pretty sad, hope the owner gets into a spruce-up soon.

More
11 years 8 months ago #80305 by Young Fella
Looks like you took good care of her when you had her Lang. Always sad to hear of someones pride and joy going to a new home, only to be neglected. :'( Can't say I've ever seen one with an air cleaner set up like that before.

• Topic Author
11 years 8 months ago #80306 by

This was built for Caltex 1967. Photo taken when I had it a few years back. 671 powered.

Saw it at a truck show recently and it has been left outside and now looks pretty sad, hope the owner gets into a spruce-up soon.

Thanks for sharing that one with us Lang......
Just for us so called "number crunchers" Lang's old K123R is chassis number 108960.Regarding the air cleaner set-up they were usually mounted on a raised bracket on the chassis with the high in-take behind the cab. Cheers James.

• Topic Author
11 years 8 months ago #80307 by
While on the subject of Caltex K123s..... Cheers James.

Time to create page: 0.509 seconds