Skip to main content

First Kenworths "down under"

More
10 years 10 months ago #80338 by knighty
nice toy Angle, and welcome back 8-) 8-) jk...

Lotsa Big Toys

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
10 years 10 months ago #80339 by
Replied by on topic Re: First Kenworths "down under"

Had a mad rush before we headed for the states ,finally got the old girl back home.Kwickasair chassis 116421 8v71 10 on tbs.Still pretty original but think it has visited interland at some stage of its life.

. . . .Would love to see an original pic of this truck if anyone has one or info on it. :D :D ;)

Gee a couple of days off the computer and look what I've missed out on... Welcome back Angle-iron and congradulations on your new acquisition.Just wondering did you get the chassis number off the chassis or cab ID tag or both?
Hope you had a good time with all the guys in the U.S.... Cheers James

• Topic Author
10 years 10 months ago #80340 by

Had a mad rush before we headed for the states ,finally got the old girl back home.Kwickasair chassis 116421 8v71 10 on tbs.Still pretty original but think it has visited interland at some stage of its life.

. . . .Would love to see an original pic of this truck if anyone has one or info on it. :D :D ;)

Gee a couple of days off the computer and look what I've missed out on... Welcome back Angle-iron and congradulations on your new acquisition.Just wondering did you get the chassis number off the chassis or cab ID tag or both?
Hope you had a good time with all the guys in the U.S.... Cheers James

ps. Just a minor correction,that one is on TBB (torsion bar bogie) rather than TBS (torsion bar single). Cheers again....

More
10 years 10 months ago #80341 by kw573

Two weeks ago in Bundaberg. Belongs to Sam Scholz from Monto. Real good goer and was used throughout the weekend.

Hello all,

This is my Kenworth, thanks for posting, Lang. I didn't get many pics as I was behind the wheel or levers mostly. I live at Childers in Qld and have had this truck for about 10 years. I bought it out of Deals on Wheels from a timber yard in Sydney. They thought it was a Kaiser! It has had a hard life and I am fixing it bit by bit. The last 6 months was a rear diff rebuild, I have learned that these trucks are prone to water in gearcases, particularly when not used regularly. Hmmm.

Anyway, there were about 30 used by the Australian army up to the 1970's. I don't know when they first got them, but probably very early post WW2. This is a model 573 and the US army called them an M1A1. Kenworth only made about 1300 of them all up. Chassis numbers started at 52631 and went to 53954 (ref:W&T no.3). Pre-standard models were 570 (1941), 571 (1942-3), 572 (1943) and referred to as M1.

Mine is chassis number 52884 which is probably 1944.

Interestingly, Brown & Hurley at Kyogle had one, Chassis number 52930, that they used as a tow truck. I got the remains of it, greatly modified and not much left. Even had a Leyland cab spliced onto it!

And I am on the lookout for bits and pieces of them, mostly towing/winches stuff.

BTW, looking for a pre-electronic Cummins 6bt good runner.

Have a nice day.
Sam.

WW2 Jeep (Daily Driver)
Diamond T 969 (Under restoration)
Kenworth 573 (Yard truck)
WW2 Water trailer
WW2 Blitz 3 ton GS dog trailer

• Topic Author
10 years 10 months ago #80342 by
....thanks for the great info kw .. the bloke who ran the military museum at Pakenham Upper in Victoria had one with a home made fully enclosed cab sitting there as a wreck about 10 years ago....

....the collection has been dispersed apparently, but you still may be able to follow the trail as to where it went....or if indeed it is still there?.....cheers mate

More
10 years 10 months ago #80343 by bparo
Not all the collection went and it has been added to since. If you have foxtel (I don't) there's a show on one of the channels called 'Aussie Pickers' and his current collection is on it.

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
10 years 10 months ago #80344 by kw573
Thanks Detective, I'll ask about that.

Off topic a bit . . .
Also looking for a 6 wheel 7 ton trailer, made by Ford, used by the army to move Bren Gun Carriers around in WW2. It is a dog trailer with a very distinctive narrow tracked front axle. Weighs about 4 1/2 ton.

Have a nice day.
Sam.

WW2 Jeep (Daily Driver)
Diamond T 969 (Under restoration)
Kenworth 573 (Yard truck)
WW2 Water trailer
WW2 Blitz 3 ton GS dog trailer

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #80345 by angle-iron
Just smething interesting to help the dust settle in the sandpit !!!!
:D :D.
Not a Kenworth but worth a laugh ;D ;D.
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by angle-iron.

• Topic Author
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #80346 by
...'cause we luv our Kenworths, i s'pose another old topic dredged up to the top wouldn't go astray... 8-) 8-) 8-) ::) ::) ::)

....a very old (1968) Ansett slim cab has surfaced and is for sale in QLD....ch/no 110902 apparently in good nick and still with the screamer, but now features all the you beaut accessories such as tipping body, SSHD, 4 spring Reyco and 6 spoke hubs......check it out on Gumtree...$12,500.00 will buy it.....cheers

More
9 years 8 months ago #80347 by dieseldog
Got a link there, Detective? I couldn't find it.

Time to create page: 0.557 seconds