Skip to main content

AECs and Albions

More
11 years 2 months ago #105832 by Young Fella
Replied by Young Fella on topic Re: AECs and Albions
How did you go Aktipete? Did you find the spot where the milk tanker photo was taken? It was on the foreshore at Eastern Beach. Melways reference is Map 452 D 3. It's where they hold the Geelong Speed Trials now. And I reckon those palm trees are still there too!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #105833 by fageol100
Replied by fageol100 on topic Re: AECs and Albions

Another photo of N. Ormsby and Sons' AEC Monarch.

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #105834 by fageol100

N. Ormsby and Sons AEC. Would probably be a Mark II Monarch, type O346S. The World War 2 type O853 Matador 4x4 Gun Tractor was often fitted with a similar round top cab as this.
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by fageol100.

More
11 years 2 months ago #105835 by fageol100

Hastings Deering photo of AEC-either Monarch Mk.II type O346S or Matador Mk.II type O347. The cab doesn't do a lot for the style of the truck.

More
11 years 2 months ago #105836 by fageol100

Another photo of the AEC with the ugly cab.

More
11 years 2 months ago #105837 by VicHung
Replied by VicHung on topic Re: AECs and Albions
The Old Vic certainly remembers both the Plume (the old name for Mobilgas) Mammoth Major and the Mobil Mk V Mandator. The 8-wheeler was sold before I started driving for Mobil NZ in 1966 but I had seen it many times on the road. I mainly drove Atkinsons and never drove that particular Mk V Mandator but I occasionally drove this Mk V Mammoth Major in Les Greer's photo below and also a Mk V Mandator with this same cab.

I personally think this cab was the best looking of any cabs that AEC used and although the AECs didn't have as much grunt as the Cummins 250 powered Atkinsons I usually drove they were more comfortable and quiet and I loved driving them.

More
11 years 2 months ago #105838 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: AECs and Albions

How did you go Aktipete? Did you find the spot where the milk tanker photo was taken? It was on the foreshore at Eastern Beach. Melways reference is Map 452 D 3. It's where they hold the Geelong Speed Trials now. And I reckon those palm trees are still there too!

I got to Geelong but not down there, they had the waterfront closed off for a cycling race or something.

More
11 years 2 months ago #105839 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: AECs and Albions
Fantastic lot of pictures Faegol, thanks for sharing. Just goes to show there were more AEC's around in the 40's and before than is generally thought.
Interesting how the military utility cab got to be on a civvy vehicle.

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #105840 by fageol100
I agree with you Vic regarding the cab on the Mk.V in your photo being about the best looking cab fitted to AECs. I think it's a PRV-Park Royal Vehicles cab. Coachbuilders, Park Royal were part of the ACV Group-Associated Commercial Vehicles, the holding company of which AEC were a part from about 1948 until 1962, when Leyland Motors bought ACV. By contrast that's a pretty disgusting cab fitted to the truck in the last two photos I posted.
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by fageol100.

More
11 years 2 months ago #105841 by Sunshine
Replied by Sunshine on topic Re: AECs and Albions
This is the newest of our nine Albions at home, will post more photos later
sunshine

Time to create page: 0.540 seconds