Skip to main content

AECs and Albions

More
10 years 9 months ago #105872 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: AECs and Albions
The back cover AEC adds were run in Truck & Bus so I guess the publishers gave them a deal for both magazines.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #105873 by Unit 41
My father used to have an 8x4 Mammoth Major and a 4 x 2 Leyland Beaver during the period between mid-1960's and mid-70's.

The oddity is that both trucks had sleeper cabs - and I've never really seen any pictures of similar with sleepers.

A picture is below - I'm referring to the two trucks on the right. Were sleeper cabs so rare for the various Leyland brands of this period?

Best regards,

Mark

More
10 years 7 months ago #105874 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: AECs and Albions
Mark, they would have been coach built, someone like Watt Brothers would have done the conversion.
They look pretty cool, I've seen pictures of a few that have been done, on other brands too, like Butterbox ACCO's and Commers.

More
10 years 7 months ago #105875 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Re: AECs and Albions
I bought an Ergo Beaver with a sleeper cab. Came from some Sydney interstate company with a lime green, purple and white colour scheme.
It looked the goods with storage compartments each side under the bunk.
Doubt if it was a Leyland offering as the torsion bar tilt was still the same and was impossible to lift with that extra weight hanging out the back.
Killed the cab mounts in no time and chucked things into the windscreen if you weren't thinking when you tilted her up.
Had it removed and converted back to a day cab by Donovan's Body works in Brisy.to save some weight.
Can't remember what the roof treatment was. That would have told the story as to whether the sleeper roof was just tacked onto the normal roof panel or whether it had a full roof panel.
Anyway sure regretted that move in later years while trying to sleep sitting up.

10 years 7 months ago #105876 by
Replied by on topic Re: AECs and Albions
Found this 1965 AEC brochure in some old papers, price on front page says list price 6,750 pounds, painting 75 pounds extra. Not sure why it's a LHD spec maybe all that was available for export....

10 years 7 months ago #105877 by
Not sure what year model this Albion Reiver brochure is, hope some one will let me know......I hope...

[imp] i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p694/brueha...0011_zpsd70644ca.jpg [/img]

More
10 years 7 months ago #105878 by Beaver
Replied by Beaver on topic Re: AECs and Albions
The PF range dated from 1955-59

www.trucksplanet.com/catalog/model.php?id=1410

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

10 years 7 months ago #105879 by
Thanks Beaver

More
10 years 7 months ago #105880 by fageol100
Replied by fageol100 on topic Re: AECs and Albions
A couple of great brochures there, Bruce, thanks for putting them up.

10 years 7 months ago #105881 by
Got a few more if anyone's interested?????

Time to create page: 0.537 seconds