Skip to main content

Starting point of topics

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #202098 by Gryphon

PS. Just had a good look at 5 similar forums. They all operate on an easy system such as we had before.
Latest or unread posts are represented either by our old green note style taking you directly to the first unread post - wherever it is on the page, not just to the top of the last page. Another method shows any unread posts for each thread when you go to a category by having the thread in bold. Once you have opened that thread it goes back to normal print until such time as a new post comes along.

This actually hasn't changed from new to old Forum in what I have tested. On the Category list of Subjects including Recent Posts the (x NEW) is a Link that will take you to the earliest post that you haven't read as you desire above. If you just click on the Subject heading in Bold or otherwise, you will be taken to the Last or the First post in that thread according to your sort order. preference.

Update::: One of my tweaks t to the Forum Latest settings is that when you click on a Bold link that has (x NEW) associated with it, the subject heading link will now take you to the earliest post you hadn't read, just like clicking on a (x NEW) link on the Category or Recent Topics list.

As mentioned in my earlier post the (x NEW) in Forum Latest is not a link, it is just a display so again you will go to the Last or First post when you select the Subject heading.I have made a few tweaks to the settings for the Forum Latest that might change the behaviour a little, but I have run out of New posts to test it on. :)

The Subject headings appearing in Bold or not is actually a little tweak I made the other night, along with increasing the size of the letters, because someone commented that it was a little harder to read the subject headings. It changes the display of the subject only and does not affect the links behind the subject heading regardless of whether they are new or not.

Terry
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Gryphon.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
4 years 9 months ago #202102 by Swishy
Thanx Terry
Me likes the big print

have no need to find me coke bottle glasses
LOL

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThnMgc9wmBUaEeWJqRIvnC578xjW2uPo5py3DiyVG9n3G3-74A

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
4 years 9 months ago #202103 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic HCVCA Forum Update Coming Soon
Terry
Thanks for the clean out tips. I do CC cleaner, Delete History plus delete Google Storage history every day so that should not have been the problem but suddenly the Forum Latest now stays up in the right corner to go backwards and forwards regardless of the page you are looking at (why it disappeared before has me beat)

The only problem I now have is the upside down presentation of posts if I have my preferences as "last post first." I suppose this is the literal translation of "last post first" but it is not how any western language is laid out and is like reading a book from the back cover.

Lang

More
4 years 9 months ago #202104 by Gryphon
Lang,

CC Cleaner doesn't remove Cookies unless you tell it too and you would not like the results if you are running CC every day. Cookies are what remembers how you like or left things including keeping you automatically logged in when you return.

Cookies are also what is retaining what you last looked at and when you last visited to show what has changed so that is why the Forum Latest and other quirky things would have been occurring.

One of my tweaks last night to the Forum Latest is that when you click on a Bold link that has (x NEW) associated with it, the subject heading link will now take you to the earliest post you hadn't read, just like clicking on a (x NEW) link on the Category or Recent Topics list.

Regarding the upside down presentation of posts which I understand might seem counter intuitive at first, is what you are seeing now different to how it behaved for you prior to the change?

Terry
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
4 years 9 months ago #202106 by Lang
Terry

My CCleaner settings do remove cookies and I have been doing that for ages. It certainly seems selective on what it removes regarding log-in to various sites. Some stayed logged in but others such as this forum require a click on log-in first start of the day. Maybe I should tell it to keep the cookies as you suggest?

I am down to 10gb remaining on my computer and have just dropped it off for an all-singing-all-dancing new one that would power the NASA space program. I suspect it is like trading your 10 year old Corolla for a new Ferrari - it still takes exactly the same time to drive to the post office but is a nicer drive.

Regarding the upside down presentation this appears to be the only practical difference with the "Last Post First" setting going to the actual last post and having to scroll backwards to find previous posts which, quite frankly is a pain in the a....

Lang

More
4 years 9 months ago #202110 by Sarge
Well done Terry, I am back in the land of aged desk top and the new forum runs prezzaccerly as I expected it to, and like it did before, if the colour had not changed I doubt I would have noticed this side of a late Sunday trawl.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
4 years 9 months ago #202117 by Gryphon
Lang,

regarding your Cookies and how you manage them really comes down to why you are clearing your cache and history with CC Cleaner everyday.

In terms of select to display 'Last Post First', as far as I can determine it is still behaving the same way it did pre-Forum upgrade so I am still trying to determine if I am to be looking at a problem between versions for you or is this the first time you have used Last Post First?

Terry
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #202128 by Lang
Terry

I use CCleaner every day on recommendation of an "expert" due to the small memory on my existing computer slowing down its operation. I do not know if this is necessary but it has been working pretty well. Any forums which log me out (including Ebay) are easy to get back into as they all remember my name and the password or "remember Me" box comes up and just requires a click, not writing the full thing.

I have high hopes for my new computer and will stop the the daily clean to see what happens.

The Green new post flag takes me to the first new post and any preread post takes me to the last post in the thread. It is just the upside down presentation that I have a problem with.

Lang
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

More
4 years 9 months ago #202148 by Morris
Gryphon,
Why do a lot of the photos people put up appear as tiny little part pictures? I have to click on each one two to three times before it will open.

Am I doing something wrong?

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
4 years 9 months ago #202149 by Gryphon
Morris,

When the person(s) add their picture to their post they need to also hit the 'Insert' link to place that picture in amongst the Text of their post otherwise the picture is just left at the bottom of the page as an attachment, the little thumbnail pictures that you see.

It is slightly changed with the new version of the software, but the Insert function is still there and easy enough to use.

Terry
The following user(s) said Thank You: Morris, wee-allis

Time to create page: 0.534 seconds