Skip to main content

Powered trailer

More
14 years 6 months ago - 14 years 6 months ago #16557 by hofmann
Powered trailer was created by hofmann
Just wondering what you guys think about this for feasibility. I'm looking at an old acco 560 at the moment because its got an awesome toolbox on the back. I haven't seen it in the flesh yet but its going cheap so I've got a good idea it's going to need some work, which I'm not too keen on. The truth is that as a second work vehicle it presents logistical problems like driving it to the job, then having to get a lift back to my van. It would probably suit me better as a trailer with a truck to pull it. This would mean I can just leave it on site and my guys won't be missing tools etc. if I gotta go do a quote or sneak off to the pub etc. It would also leave my main truck free to pick up materials. Long story short, has anyone done a conversion like this and if so is it hard. The other thing I was going to ask might be better posted on halfbakery.com but here goes. I was thinking that if I could leave the driveshaft on I might be able to rig up a small motor so the trailer can be self powered. This would allow me to meanouvre down narrow driveways, be perfect for hooking it up to the truck and if it could double as a generator, all the better. I might be better off actually using a generator with an electric motor or even a petrol powered compressor with an air motor. Assuming all this is feasible.Do you think it could be used with the truck at the same time to help with traction on steep driveways and over rough terrain. OK, I'm ready for you all to laugh at me now.
Last edit: 14 years 6 months ago by hofmann.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #16558 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Powered trailer
Hofmann,I don`t mean to be rude mate,but I`m laughin`

14 years 6 months ago #16559 by
Replied by on topic Re: Powered trailer
Hahahahahahahahahahaha!! .. I gotta give it to ya, Hoffie .. you can sure come up with the ideas!! .. ;D

I'd say that you're a whole lot better off, to find a truck that suits you .. then repower it with a decent power plant, with a bit of grunt.
Electrics are a nightmare of wiring problems, costs, weight, and .. of people pinching all your copper in the wiring and motor while you aren't watching it!! Just ask the Railways about this problem! .. :'(

The truck-to-trailer conversion is generally frowned on by licencing authorities. I know you're no longer allowed to build trailers using original truck rear axles, and housing .. it has to be a properly engineered trailer axle.
The same goes for using truck chassis. They want to see a properly constructed trailer chassis out of regular steel shapes .. not a bent and welded ex-truck chassis with odd shapes and sizes.

More
14 years 6 months ago #16560 by hofmann
Replied by hofmann on topic Re: Powered trailer
laugh away but tell me if you think its possible at the same time.

More
14 years 6 months ago #16561 by hofmann
I'm hearing ya onetrack but what about all the ute well trailers

More
14 years 6 months ago #16562 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Powered trailer
Hofmann,nothing is impossible,it`s like saying we havn`t got any problems just challenges and solutions.I reckon your challenge would be an expensive solution.
The Jap ute back trailers are usually just the body mounted on a normal trailer frame.Some arn`t actually legal either from another piont,you must have more of the body in front of the axle,and some of the Jap ute bodies,like what come off extra cabs,end up with too much rear overhang.

More
14 years 6 months ago #16563 by hofmann
Ok nothings impossible, I mean fesible. It seems to me that chopping the front of the truck off and welding on a swivelling drawbar with another axle would be cheaper than building a trailer from scratch and moving the toolbox over but maybe I'm wrong. What do you call those trailers / is it a dog or a goat or what?The powered thing came from an electric jockey wheel for caravans I saw. Seemed like it might be more elegant to use the existing diff plus better traction plus ive got a good honda generator sitting around rotting Of course if the rta won't let me do it there's no point talking about it

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 6 months ago #16564 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Powered trailer

HoffyHoffy Hoffy
LOL
sum good advice from above
nuthing iz impossable
n U really stretchin the boundaries
Good idea leavin trailer while U nik off
but I wouldn't like to leave trailer overnight anywhere
cos sum one could/would find it B4 U loose it
LOL
Go buy a new tandem trailer all fitted out with tool boxes with a rack above for cartn long sheite

Cya

[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 6 months ago #16565 by hofmann
I know swishy but you should see this toolbox. I dream about it at night. It makes those trailers look like carry alls. I am a builder, not just atradie. One day I'm pouring concrete, next day laying bricks, next day carpentry, plastering, roofing blah,blah,blah. I've got enough tools to fill that badboy up and then some. I am forever lugging one pile a tools out to get something else in and I am forever forgetting something. I'm not too worried about theft because I have one of those alarm things that calls my mobile. Then I can track it on the internet and catch the prick in the act and break some laws myself.

More
14 years 6 months ago #16566 by hofmann
All the same guys, I'm starting to see a pattern in your posts. Point taken.

Time to create page: 0.476 seconds