Skip to main content

Powered trailer

More
14 years 6 months ago #16567 by kennymopar2
Replied by kennymopar2 on topic Re: Powered trailer
if you have a light trailer that 2 men (or boys) ..going by the size of some newcastle males lol .. with a lightweight trailer you can easily move it into position with 2 men .. once the trailer is heavy you need the tongan weightlifting team !

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #16568 by hofmann
Replied by hofmann on topic Re: Powered trailer
You can only move it by hand if you're on a nice flat paved area which in my case is often not the case. Also, once she's chockers with my tools, doesn't matter what it is, it won't be light. Plus, unlike you furniture guys, I am quite lazy which, from what I hear, is the mother of invention

More
14 years 6 months ago - 14 years 6 months ago #16569 by hofmann
Check this out you bunch of naysayers
ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/power...ailer-idea-2975.html
I started a new thread with this link.
Last edit: 14 years 6 months ago by hofmann.

14 years 6 months ago - 14 years 6 months ago #16570 by
Replied by on topic Re: Powered trailer
O.K., Hoffie .. sorry I laughed, I just couldn't help meself .. ;D

Yes, the powered trailer is doable. However, you keep talking about not needing another major project. We're all the same, nearly all of us already have a job, family, and a hundred other fix-its, that need our regular attention. You have to find the time for a project in between all that. On top of that .. starting a totally new project from scratch, like a powered trailer, means doing 3 weeks work .. then binning half of it, and re-doing it, because what you built in the last week and a half, doesn't work. It's called trial and error. You could run away with a lot of time, and lot more money.

Bigcam put it in a nutshell - time VS end result VS money. You could spend a year building the trailer .. and then suddenly realise that you could have bought a pro builders trailer .. with all the fruit .. for less money .. and less aggro.
The powered trailer concept is good in many respects .. but it has flaws. The primary problem would be arranging the power so that it shut down, or reduced substantially when turning. A trailer pushing you when you don't need it, is a frightening thing. You go out of control .. you can roll .. or you could get pushed into the path of a Mack going the other way, doing 110 klicks .. none of these are pretty scenarios.

The second problem would be convincing licencing authorities that what you have built is safe .. for yourself, and for other road users. They would need an engineers certificate, drawings, calculations, fail-safe devices, and god knows what else.
These people kill more good ideas than wives and mates do .. ;D

The third problem has to be the lack of interchangeability with other vehicles. If your truck drops a valve and needs to go to the truck doctor .. the replacement isn't going to be wired up with all the necessary wiring and controllers that you have arranged in your regular truck.
You are, in effect, building a powered trailer and truck combo (in Maccas-speak), that is a combined unit, where the trailer cannot be pulled by anything else, if your regular truck dies.

I see where you're coming from .. but I do not believe you have the necessary time, research lab, and the $200,000, to make it all work, and work properly.
A great project to commence after you've won Lotto, and can't find enough to do with your time.
Like most of us, I'll wager that your time is a carefully-allocated commodity, that runs away very quickly, when you start open-ended projects like powered trailers .. :)

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 6 months ago #16571 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Powered trailer

this joker seemed to have the same idea !

Hoffy have a gander @ wot other builders n tradesmen R use n to cart all the gear around
A nice tradesmans trailer with a
Looks good with sum good artwork promoting your business
Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 6 months ago - 14 years 6 months ago #16572 by hofmann
Very good advice Onetrack. Just to clear a couple of things up, if I did it then firstly I would find a boilermaker to turn the truck into a trailer or build a chassis and put that toolbox on it. I have no intention of stuffing around with it myself. I use boilies on some of my construction jobs so I'm sure I'll get a competetive price. It would then go into service and I would probably look into powering it up when I had spare cash. Also, I was not thinking of using the power on the road, only for meanouvering in tight spots and steep driveways and, of course, so I could drive the trailer to the hitch instead of the truck to the trailer. Also, the idea is for the trailer to have it's own power plant. If it had a generator I could run all my power tools straight out of it if I had to. I don't need a project but I could certainly use a truck sized toolbox trailer. I've never seen one this big and it'd cost me 20g for sure to have it custom built from scratch. The feedback from you guys has not been good so it will probably get shelved but sometimes I just can't let a crap idea go. Just be happy I haven't told you the rest of them. Based on what you guys are saying, I will probably try to convince the guy to sell me the toolbox only.
Last edit: 14 years 6 months ago by hofmann.

More
14 years 6 months ago #16573 by hofmann
Yeah you can actually buy bike trailers with motors on them. People use them for rollerblading too. And I'm used to being laughed at, my wife sees me naked all the time.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 6 months ago #16574 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Powered trailer

Hoffy
HaveEyeGotADeal4U
LOL
http://tcimages.net/DisplayImage.aspx?PD=21078832&S=IS&wmin=truckhubhttp://tcimages.net/DisplayImage.aspx?PD=21078828&S=IS&wmin=truckhub
www.truckhub.com.au/DesktopDefault.aspx?...D=3108078&TabID=3443

;)

http://tcimages.net/DisplayImage.aspx?PD=20937649&S=IS&wmin=truckhubhttp://tcimages.net/DisplayImage.aspx?PD=20937651&S=IS&wmin=truckhub
www.truckhub.com.au/DesktopDefault.aspx?...D=3036857&TabID=3443

;)

http://tcimages.net/DisplayImage.aspx?PD=21323452&S=IS&wmin=truckhubhttp://tcimages.net/DisplayImage.aspx?PD=21323455&S=IS&wmin=truckhub
www.truckhub.com.au/DesktopDefault.aspx?...D=3118315&TabID=3443

;)

LOL

Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 6 months ago #16575 by hofmann
You've outdone yourself swishy. That top one is awesome. Maybe I can keep a ditbike on the back for early pub times. Plus it has a massive air compressor. Have you guys seen vacuum excavation?. They use compressed air to dig holes then a massive vacuum to suck the dirt back to the truck. Would save me a lot of hand digging and excavator costs plus I might not destroy quite as many pipes and cables. They use them for utility locating mainly so it might make for a tidy little extortionately priced sideline. So much for old trucks.

More
14 years 6 months ago #16576 by hofmann
I guess the only problem is the 450 000km mileage tag. Am I going to end up replacing everything, one at a time. The other truck is good too. How do you guys search truckhub. I can't find an advanced search feature. It seems you can't specify much more than "truck".

Time to create page: 0.544 seconds