Skip to main content

Powered trailer

More
14 years 5 months ago #16597 by Redbeard45
Replied by Redbeard45 on topic Re: Powered trailer
Of course Hofmann, like most things it has been done before, but like others have said, I wouldn't want to try and do it know.
Back in the late 60s when larger trucks were hard to get or too expensive to buy, some engineers/ mechanics at our local transport were sitting around in the pub here in NZ. They came up with the idea of building their own stock truck, which they did, using a widened TK cab on their own build chassis, powered by a 6v 71 Detroit/ 5 spd Alison auto with tandem drive and the dual Eatons wired up so they could be used separately - not recommended but doable. This gave 20 speeds!

But the interesting bit is they also built a powered 2 axle trailer using a Ford D series 4 cylinder diesel and Alison. Worked very well apart from the people who rang up about the trailer being on fire (when it was working hard up hill!) One of the party tricks of the driver was to find someone to hide on the opposite side of the trailer to a suitable audience, e.g. a group of people in a truck yard far enough away that they couldn't hear the trailer engine idling. The driver would pick up the drawbar, and with the accomplice just pulling the control rod on the FI pump a little bit to raise the revs so the transmission would take up, the driver was able to 'pull' the trailer along quite happily, much to the amazement of the audience!
I know this is probably not assisting you much, and we are talking about much larger gear here, but people probably laughed at these guys too, when they came up with the idea - and yet they did it! Times have changed however!
Cheers
H

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago - 14 years 5 months ago #16598 by hofmann
Replied by hofmann on topic Re: Powered trailer
awesome redbeard. The way fuel prices are going we may end up back in a place like that. I thought reducing fuel consumption would be a hot topic around here cause you guys must spend a fortune on it. I was all excited about the browns gas thing a little while ago but anyone with any real credentials writes it off as a scam. Nevertheless there are plenty of people saying it works, particularly in a big block. For the $50 odd it costs to set one up, I'm definitely gonna give it a crack. If I can make the trailer happen, I'll let yous all know.
Last edit: 14 years 5 months ago by hofmann.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.367 seconds