Skip to main content

Sometimes Sayings.

More
5 years 4 days ago #200181 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Sometimes Sayings.

oldpart wrote: My dad taught me this one
"you can't steal anything that is worth more than your name"

Very very wise man.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 days ago #200187 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Sometimes Sayings.
Old Navy saying:
"If it moves, salute it. If it doesn't, paint it"

More
4 years 11 months ago #200282 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Sometimes Sayings.
I used to think I was a wit, but they tell me I'm only half right.

More
4 years 11 months ago #200304 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Sometimes Sayings.
My mind is made up. Don't try to explain it to me!

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
4 years 11 months ago #200307 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Sometimes Sayings.
Mother twoud say
Dun cum run n 2 me if U brake u're leg
LOL

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
4 years 11 months ago #200308 by Tired Iron
Replied by Tired Iron on topic Sometimes Sayings.
Don't look at me in that tone of voice

More
4 years 11 months ago #200309 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Sometimes Sayings.
“Thou shalt not modify!”
(Unless your’e prepared for much expense, can’t buy off-the-shelf parts or just won’ be told!)

More
4 years 11 months ago #200313 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Sometimes Sayings.
My Grandfather used to say "had to put the foot down to beat the car running out of petrol"

And I believed him lol

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
4 years 11 months ago #200419 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Sometimes Sayings.
This week's entry is not a saying and is deadly serious. Maybe it should have it's own thread. What do you say, Moderator?

A mate of mine is 78 years old and lives on a couple of acres of industrial land in a smallish country town. He makes a modest living by being paid to have stock feed silos on the land and cooking breakfast for drivers who have arrived at odd times of the night. He hooks up the auger and loads the truck and when a delivery arrives, he does the same to unload it.

Recently, he drove one of his restored but unregistered trucks onto a low-loader to be taken to a truck show. Unfortunately, as he was getting out of the cab, he lost his footing and fell on his back on the ground. Doctors told him he had not broken any bones, and when the bruising went down he would be OK.

The pain lessened but was still there and he was told the xrays showed he had no damage. In response to his question, he was told that if he had broken his hip, he would definately not be able to walk.

After four weeks, the pain was getting worse and Doctors looked at the xrays again and hold him he had a crack in his hip/pelvis joint. The operated and replaced his hip with an artificial one. After two days at home, he went to stand up out of a chair and dislocated the hip. Another Ambulance trip to hospital, where they put his hip joint back in. Next day, while still in hospital, it dislocated again. In total, it dislocated four times. Each time, causing him terrible pain.

The Surgeon came up to him and apologised, saying "We have put the wrong hip joint in you, we assumed that at your age, you lived in a Nursing Home and sat in a chair all day and did nothing. We knew nothing about Silos or restoring trucks"
He then had to have another operation to take the first hip joint out and put another one in. He is now well on the way to recovery.

The moral of the (true) story is that if you have to have a major medical procedure, make sure the senior staff know you are active, fit (as fit as can be expected) AND YOU ARE NOT A VEGETABLE.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul, Southbound

More
4 years 11 months ago #200421 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Sometimes Sayings.
Reading Morris's story above , takes me back many years. Old Army days a good mate of mine fronts up for parade Monday morning with a head wrapped in bandages, when quizzed, he offered the following explanation.
He was around at a mates place giving his mate Noddy a hand to rip a gearbox out of Noddy's EH panel van, up on ramps.
Noddy's inside the garage scratching around for something or other, his missus comes out and asks if anyone wants a coffee. Mate under said EH can't hear her as they have the car radio on full blast listening to the footy. So, she runs her hand up his inside leg and gives him a bit of a squeeze you-know-where, thinking its her happy hubby, both got blue overalls on.
Mate gets such a start,he leaps into the air from flat on his back, tears a great gash in his forehead on the crossmember and has to get taken into hospital where he has seven stitches inserted.
He reckons that he should have gone round and seen Noddy's missus on the sly and worked out some sort of compensation.
Still don't know if it was fair dinkum or not, mate was a bit of a rough nut and was often getting busted up after blueing with the locals in town on a Saturday night.
Made a good yarn anyway. Don't know if there's any moral to be taken from it though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul

Time to create page: 1.125 seconds