Skip to main content

Sometimes Sayings.

More
6 months 8 hours ago #249139 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Sometimes Sayings.

As I have no dog to kick I will inflict upon you this evening's latest moronic utterance from our taxpayer funded SBS News.

Elon Musk's Sunday rocket launch exploded as it left the atmosphere. I have no doubt he will keep trying and a good thing for progress.

The commentary over a shot of a giant stratospheric explosion was "Elon Musk's latest  rocket had a massive, unscheduled disassembly"

Where do they find these idiots?

The person who said it probably thinks it is funny.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 months 7 hours ago #249140 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Sometimes Sayings.
A couple of weeks ago, I watched part of a TV program about policing on the A1 Motorway in England.  The story that caught my eye was about a man from the Isle of White. (Jim? I think his name was) He had rebuilt a 1973 Landrover into a replica of the film car Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.  He had done a good job of the bodywork but it looked more chunky than the original.  He said that he had been so busy building the car that he forgot about the engine and only changed the oil before driving it along the M1 from the Isle of White to Doncaster (I think?) It took him eleven and a half hours as the landrover would only do forty MPH at 16 miles per gallon.  He said the wanted to drive it around the world and must have done so, because they showed a picture of it with the Sydney Harbour Bridge in the background.

Grandad, do you know anything about this?

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
6 months 7 hours ago - 6 months 7 hours ago #249141 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Sometimes Sayings.
Good effort but you have to be patient, he is like a woman telling a story.

Here is their website

chitty.org.uk/
Last edit: 6 months 7 hours ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, wee-allis

More
6 months 1 hour ago #249144 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Sometimes Sayings.
It was probably lifted straight from the press release, which wanted to downplay the expensive stuff up.

More
6 months 58 minutes ago - 6 months 48 minutes ago #249145 by Lang
Yes, the Musk PR girl used this expression, as you say weasel words to minimise the problem (they also said this morning the mission was a "fabulous success" getting further each time.)

My problem with SBS is they used that weasel words expression in their introduction having the benefit of time to see how inanely ridiculous it was and still thinking it was professional reporting.
Last edit: 6 months 48 minutes ago by Lang.

More
6 months 38 minutes ago #249147 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Sometimes Sayings.
I did have a chuckle when I heard that description on the news

More
5 months 4 weeks ago #249149 by grandad
Replied by grandad on topic Sometimes Sayings.
Here it is

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, wee-allis

More
5 months 4 weeks ago #249150 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Sometimes Sayings.
I think he may have come from the same mould as that V8 Supercars commentator Crompton. He has some of the worse    terms you never want to hear. What use to be a warm up lap became a sighting lap. Gentle on the throttle is now throttle modulation and so on. I cringe each time he spews    this crap out.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
5 months 4 weeks ago #249151 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Sometimes Sayings.
I gave up watching supercrap. Bring back proper racing with no compulsory stops, no parity , no catch up under yellows, just the best car and best driver wins. One more nail goes into the Supercars coffin every year. I think in 5 years time it will be no more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, PaulFH, V8Ian, wee-allis, lemmiwinks

More
5 months 4 weeks ago - 5 months 4 weeks ago #249153 by Lang
I agree Supercars has become a bit boring, particularly the Gold Coast, but Bathurstc always produces an exciting finish (not so much this year). Of course it is not "sedan car" racing anymore but full-on race-cars vaguely based on foreign types two people in Australia own.

Ever since the early 1900's they have had rules on engine sizes etc. Ever since 1900 it has been factory (or corporate) teams which have won 90% of the big events. Professional drivers or extremely wealthy privateers have always dominated the podium.

What does all this tell us? The most money wins. Same as yachts, race-horses, football teams.

If Elon Musk rang me up tomorrow and said "Lang I want to win the Australian Championship. I have convinced CAMS to make Supercars totally unrestricted with no rules other than standard accepted track rules. Here is 100 million dollars. I can 99% guarantee that my team with the world's best drivers, designers and mechanics with an unlimited budget will win.

I saw this when I was 14 in the formative years of gokarting and even then did not think it was right. I was lucky enough to have a Dad who owned a car dealership with mechanics on tap and won the majority of my races for a couple of years with McCulloch chainsaw engines going to 12,000rpm before they exploded competing against the poor buggers with their Victa or Briggs and Stratton or old BSA bike engines.

The only rule was engine size. Our 90cc engines were putting out more horsepower than the blokes two classes higher with 250cc BSA bike engines. Something had to be done to level the playing field or the sport would have died. Same with full size motor racing.

Without those leveling rules we will see Bathurst won by 5 laps. There is plenty of "old school" type racing in Australia with lesser classes and particularly historic and classic racing with those old 60-90 Bathurst types but if you go you will be about the only person watching apart from the drivers friends and families.

Like women's sports bodies demanding equal pay with men's teams. It is not sport it is entertainment and you get paid for bums on seats or eyes on screens. Get your numbers up to the men's ratings and you will automatically be paid the same.

Just my take on it.

Lang
Last edit: 5 months 4 weeks ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, Southbound, wee-allis, oliver1950

Time to create page: 0.715 seconds