Skip to main content

Sometimes Sayings.

More
4 months 1 week ago - 4 months 1 week ago #249772 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Sometimes Sayings.
Ben Franklin, Winston Churchill, Samuel Clements (Mark Twain) and Napoleon said lots of things but not half as much as is attributed to them.

Morris' saying is a very true statement and has been used by teacher academies, military schools and universities for hundreds of years. In the Army we were told "I hear, I forget. I see, I remember. I do, I understand"

Always quick with a bon mot, Benjamin Franklin has been quoted and paraphrased endlessly. The problem? He didn’t say everything that’s been attributed to him. Here are the top misquoted and misattributed Ben Franklin sayings. These are misquotes but there are many quotes attributed to him that have not the remotest connection.
1. “A penny saved is a penny earned.”

Benjamin Franklin never actually said this, one of the adages most often attributed to him. He did, however, write in the 1737 Poor Richard’s Almanack: “A penny saved is two pence clear.”

2. “God made beer because he loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Benjamin Franklin never said this—about beer, at least. In a circa-1779 letter to the Abbé Morellet, Franklin muses on biblical mentions of wine and remarks, “Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards; there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.”

3. “Show me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.”

There is no evidence that Benjamin Franklin ever said this epigram. Some scholars have attributed it to a Confucian philosopher named Xun Kuang, who lived in the fourth century B.C.

4. “A nation of well-informed men, who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them, cannot be enslaved.”

This statement, referring to the importance of libraries, did not come from Franklin himself. It was part of biographical piece written by Henry Stuber and printed in the 1793 edition of Franklin’s autobiography.

5. “Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other men, but a right that belongs to us by the laws of God and nature.”

The author of this quote was not Benjamin Franklin, but fellow publisher John Webbe. It appeared in an essay in Franklin’s Pennsylvania Gazette on April 1, 1736: “Thank God we are in full enjoyment of these privileges [under British rule]. But can we be taught to prize them too much? Or how can we prize them equal to their value, if we do not know their intrinsic worth, and that they are not a gift bestowed upon us by other men, but a right that belongs to us by the laws of God and nature?”

6. “Lighthouses are more useful than churches.”

Franklin never penned this statement, which is frequently attributed to him nonetheless. It’s likely that it came from a letter he wrote to his wife in July 1757, after he narrowly escaped a shipwreck off the British coast: “The bell ringing for church, we went thither immediately, and with hearts full of gratitude, returned sincere thanks to God for the mercies we had received. Were I a Roman Catholic, perhaps I should on this occasion vow to build a chapel to some saint; but as I am not, if I were to vow at all, it should be to build a light-house.”

7. “Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain—and most fools do.”

Writer Dale Carnegie wrote this witticism in his 1936 best-seller How to Win Friends and Influence People. It follows a quote from Franklin, hence the attribution confusion.
Last edit: 4 months 1 week ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Normanby, PaulFH, asw120, wee-allis, PDU, oliver1950

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 months 1 week ago #249773 by Lang
Oh,  forgot Confucious.

The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Normanby, PaulFH, asw120, Southbound, wee-allis, PDU

More
4 months 1 week ago #249786 by grandad
Replied by grandad on topic Sometimes Sayings.

The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, asw120, wee-allis, PDU, oliver1950

More
4 months 1 week ago #249841 by oliver1950
Replied by oliver1950 on topic Sometimes Sayings.

You can't have too many toys!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, overnite, PaulFH, wee-allis

More
4 months 1 week ago #249842 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Sometimes Sayings.
Happy New Year to all.

This New Year's Day falls on a Monday, so it is time for my usual contribution. It is said that if you tell anyone your New Year's resolution it will not come true, so I will not tell you any. (because as usual, I did not make any resolutions)

I did however make a REVOLUTION (that means a turn around)

Since I have been writing these sayings, I have been accused of following a particular political party which I do not, of being a lover of only one make or size of vehicles and of many other prejudices, most of which are not true.

I have let these comments go unremarked because I believe that they say more about the writer than the accused. I have had enough and will fight back from now on.  No more Mr. Nice Guy.

I will, however, when copying quotes from all sources, say "Attributed to," or "Reputed to be by" to indicate that I am only copying what I read and have no firsthand knowledge of who said what because I have never met any of the people who are attributed with these sayings.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: wouldyou, eerfree, PaulFH, asw120, wee-allis, oliver1950

More
4 months 1 week ago - 4 months 1 week ago #249846 by Lang
Morris

Keep putting up your sayings. They are all good stuff no matter who said them.

I just try to find out who really said something because very often you will find the context or the circumstances in which they were said and it makes it more interesting. Very often if they are placed in context they actually say something quite different to what they are commonly believed to signify.

For instance Marie Antoinette is widely believed to have said "Let them eat cake" when in fact it was Rousseau 24 years earlier when Marie was 9 years old and had never been to France. He actually said Brioche which is a form of  fancy bread. Having said that, who can say that Marie on being told the peasants were hungry did not reply "I have just finished reading Rousseau's book and he had a very appropriate phrase - Qu'ils mangent de la brioche". Tell that to those upstarts!" Both theories could be right.

I know nothing and am a Google searcher like everyone these days. Nothing on your Sometimes Sayings thread I put up is to criticise you or your sources but to add to the mix. I try to spend some time every day to find anything remotely of interest to blokes of our age and background just to keep the forum alive and active - quite often of almost zero interest to me. Some takes off in multi page threads, some does not get a single thankyou or comment and occasionally I am told it is crap.

The forum is littered with stuff I wrote, convinced of its truth that has come crashing to earth after wiser and smarter blokes than me put me back in my box. In about 8 years since joining I have been personally attacked only a couple of times and on those occasions I must admit I prodded the hornets nest and suffered a whack over the knuckles from the moderators. I expect to be told I am wrong, often quite firmly but certainly not cast as an idiot and we go years between serious flareups.

Just trying to say we have a lot of good blokes on the forum who sometimes don't think through their comments or phrase it in a way it could be taken wrongly and say something that could be read as hurtful when that is far from their intention

The Romans did not call it a Forum for nothing it is a place where everyone has their say. Not rarely did 90% of Senators have to eat humble pie when the 10% of opposition were proven right. An opposing opinion in a discussion is essential in most cases or there would be no discussion. The two sides, on this unusally civilised forum particularly, are talking about the subject - playing the ball not the man. Please don't read anything negative into it.

One of the most popular threads and I think a lot of blokes who don't put much stuff on other threads give us a bit of a laugh on this one. Keep it going mate.

Lang
Last edit: 4 months 1 week ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wouldyou, eerfree, Bluey60, Morris, Mrsmackpaul, Normanby, overlander, asw120, grandad, V8Ian and 4 other people also said thanks.

More
4 months 1 week ago #249861 by eerfree
Replied by eerfree on topic Sometimes Sayings.
Rust is just brown Loctite.

Bob,
I do not know how I got over the hill without ever getting to the top.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, asw120, V8Ian, wee-allis

More
4 months 1 week ago #249881 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Sometimes Sayings.
Lang you are spot on with most things and I do agree that all of us some times (myself included) put some comment up that we think is fine but inadvertently throw a cat among the pigeons

Most times we can all see the intent wasn't how it came out

Years ago when I first arrived on the scene here the forum was a very robust place were blokes threatened give some other bloke so physical education

All those blokes are pretty much long gone and moved on to face book or left us completely

Nope she's a good little forum, I don't really have much to share of any interest at the moment so keep pretty quiet these days

Happy new year everyone

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: eerfree, Lang, grandad, V8Ian, wee-allis

More
4 months 4 days ago #249932 by Lang
I suspect someone in my family has this coffee cup hidden away for my next birthday present.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, asw120, V8Ian, PDU, oliver1950

More
4 months 2 days ago #249959 by Lang

The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, asw120, grandad, V8Ian, wee-allis, oliver1950

Time to create page: 0.580 seconds