Skip to main content

Queensland Floods

More
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #41922 by
Replied by on topic Re: Queensland Floods
Bigcam, Glad to hear that you didn't end up getting washed away.

So would all these trucks end up being written off and sent the auctions?

-Stu

[ch729][ch647]sod [ch654][ch623] s[ch305] [ch477]u[ch305][ch1503] s[ch305][ch613][ch647] [ch653]o[ch
Last edit: 13 years 4 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #41923 by The Shadow
Replied by The Shadow on topic Re: Queensland Floods
Interstater

Why would they be written off, A quick wash and fresh fuel is all they need :)

The more older trucks on the road&&The more memorizes of how things use to be.&&[url

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 4 months ago #41924 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Queensland Floods

SHadow
Gudday M8
older trucks pre pooter n full electric crap
can B cleaned
providing U get the job dun straight after the water leaves
drain water from engine by removing injectors,Drain oils, flush out, refill with oil
newer trucks with pooters may B a lost cause
as the water would seep into cab ruin n all gauges n electrical bits, n pooters
I'd imagine most pooters would B water proof but th@ duzn't mean submerged in water
we had a few trucks flooded years ago B 4 Pooter crap but they were only sit n in 3 feet of water, we just drained the G.box n diffs, placed new oil in, then week later after the truck had dun a few miles replaced the oils again
the pix the BigC supplied could B dismantled n mechanical components reused if they R cleaned straight away B 4 any rust sets in
or the trucks Auctioned off n 2 the unsuspecting sukerz after a quik buff n polish
LOL

Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
13 years 4 months ago #41925 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic Re: Queensland Floods
You are right Swishy The ones that are insured will sold off as repairable write off require a VIV report that goes over everything and eve previous repairs that were done will come back to bite you These inspection can become rather expensive as well. Uninsured that do not go on the registrar can just be sold off So anything being sold from Qld may have some history.
Geoffb

13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #41926 by
Replied by on topic Re: Queensland Floods
The greatest single problem with newer vehicles that have been dunked, is silt-laden water in electrical connectors. Very few harness connectors, except perhaps on Jap trucks, are totally water-proof.
Most harness connectors are located in positions where designers think they will never get wet, or exposed to road debris. It's only the Jap vehicles/machines, that I've seen, that have harness connectors sealed with o-rings.

Because electronics work on narrow voltage parameters, any variation in current flow (i.e. - voltage - which is altered by resistance, created by corrosion), immediately makes electronics start to send out fault codes .. or go into "limp-home" mode .. or commence to do a dozen other stupid things.

These kind of faults become a nightmare after a while, as they take a substantial amount of time, to track down and remedy.
In the case of cabs that have been immersed, unless all the seating and upholstery, including floor matting and insulation is removed, these items retain serious amounts of water for a long time, and this results in corrosion, mildew, and disagreeable smells that linger for a long time.

I do not understand why a truck crowd wouldn't move all the vehicles in their yard when inundation was a distinct possibility. Even moving them to an oval or park on higher ground would have been a feasible move. Seems to me like there was/is a serious lack of management ability in these companies. Just plain bloody laziness strikes me as a possibility.

More
13 years 4 months ago #41927 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic Re: Queensland Floods
You are right Ron most equipment I have come across and don't understand operates on+5 to -5 volt only using milli amps and a small resistance upset these.
As to not moving things maybe cash flow (insured / uninsured)

More
13 years 4 months ago #41928 by Stew70
Replied by Stew70 on topic Re: Queensland Floods
These floods are a sad state of affairs.

Its a shame to see all those trucks there. It seems such a waste to me. You'd think with the amount of money involved, they should have been moved. There's some nice rigs there.

But anyway thats me.

regards Stew.

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 4 months ago #41929 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Queensland Floods
Thats me
iz th @U
tiz Me also

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
13 years 4 months ago #41930 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Re: Queensland Floods
Perhaps the staff couldn't get to the yards due to road closures but you'd think they had sufficient warning.
Not enough people working there who remembered the 74 flood heights obviously.
Almost had a 680 in at Leyland Rocklea back then for a head gasket re-tension but their schedule was full.
So lucky, I saw a semi milk tanker float up, lift the roof of the shed then settle across other trucks in their workshop. What a mess.
Nothing saved at all.

More
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #41931 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Queensland Floods
jeffo, the Premier and others where telling everyone via TV and the radio from Tuesday morning. A lot of people didn't think it would effect them, though, Rocklea is not the sort of place you want to take a message like that to flipantly. The news on the radio on Tuesday was it was going to be worse than '74. Amazing to see everyone hooking in and cleaning up, though I didn't see anyone at those couple of yards. Western Star had what looked like the entire contents of thier office in the car park. I borrowed a truck and moved a bit of gear this morning, the footpaths are just heaped with the contents of people business's. The mud is super slippery, and oil stains everything. Everyone is in good spirits, I havn't heard anyone whinge about a thing, quite the opposite actually, though one look at the pictures from Lockyer valley puts it in perspective. A couple of pics of Rocklea, these sheds had nearly 3m of water through them.

Last edit: 13 years 4 months ago by bigcam.

Time to create page: 0.522 seconds