Skip to main content

Queensland Floods

More
13 years 4 months ago #41882 by Daninmky
Replied by Daninmky on topic Re: Queensland Floods
QLD Mining Industry Revenue lost 300 million
QLD Agricultural Industry Revenue lost 1 billion.
I work in the underground mining industry and it just points out the real backbone of this state, an it aint the mining companies. ;)

2 Blondes Walked into a Building.......neither of them seen it.....BOOM  BOOM!!!&&A blo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #41883 by GM Diesel
Replied by GM Diesel on topic Re: Queensland Floods
I feel for the farmers in the floods. Not only have the poor bugga's lost the crops and all their gear will be cactus from water damage they will have a house half under water to try and sort out also.
Certainly pulled up my whinging about having no rain thats for sure. In saying that I got pretty excited last night when we got 12mm of rain.

Basil

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

More
13 years 3 months ago #41884 by Andy Wright
Replied by Andy Wright on topic Re: Queensland Floods
Some of the people are going through their second flood in less than a year too. They would still have been rebuilding from the first one and then they lose it all again. Heartbreaking.

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #41885 by Rusty Engines
Replied by Rusty Engines on topic Re: Queensland Floods
Hi all
Just seen on TV whats been going on down in the SE WOW are you all high and dry?
Townsville had 61m of rain yesterday in under 1 hour OK for us no problems, I'm beginning to think who lives in the tropics I thought I did, but with has been happening in the south east it looks like the people there do with all the rain events they are having
keep safe
Ian

Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by Rusty Engines.

More
13 years 3 months ago #41886 by Daninmky
Replied by Daninmky on topic Re: Queensland Floods
Yeah agree, just seen it on TV while having dinner and thought WOW. When we had 600mm in 12 hours in 08 we didnt flood that bad, stay safe and dont go through it go around. In the past 3 weeks we have lost 3 people to flood waters in cars.........ITS NOT WORTH IT! ;)

2 Blondes Walked into a Building.......neither of them seen it.....BOOM  BOOM!!!&&A blo

13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #41887 by
Replied by on topic Re: Queensland Floods
Just watched the news on the ABC website about the dreadful flash flooding in Toowoomba this afternoon. The scenes are terrible .. :(

www.abc.net.au/news/video/2011/01/10/3109884.htm

One woman described it, as like being on the set of a disaster movie. She's right, but even Hollywood couldn't match this .. :(

Seems hard to believe that when I went to the Heritage Tractor Show there in 2006, water was so scarce, you'd think they were in the desert.

What is even more amazing is that this rain just won't stop. Every week seems to bring a fresh flood. The weather forecasters are talking about increasing amounts of rainfall across QLD, between now and May/June.
I'd near give my right arm, for just 1% of the rain QLD is getting, to fall in Perth. I have never seen dams so empty, as they are in the hills above, and South of, Perth.
Our 3 biggest dams average a little over 20% capacity. It's the start of Summer, and they should be 3/4 full.

www.watercorporation.com.au/D/dams_storage.cfm

More
13 years 3 months ago #41888 by Andy Wright
Replied by Andy Wright on topic Re: Queensland Floods
Just when it couldn't get any worse...

I remember soon after we moved to Melbourne they were concerned that some of the dams were in the high 20s/low 30s. Having just come from Perth with dams in the low 20s, I couldn't believe it ...and then we moved into the Paky hills and filled 65,000 litres of empty tanks two weeks after installation!

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

More
13 years 3 months ago #41889 by Rusty Engines
Replied by Rusty Engines on topic Re: Queensland Floods
Hi all
There is a ripple effect going on because of the floods down south is that the North has been getting very little supplies for about 2 weeks now, IGA sent about 8 containers of dry food only by barge last week with the idea the roads will be open soon, that did not happen also Woolworths got some trucks through by the back back way now closed, there is even talk of Cains getting a 747 full of goodies
And the shelves are starting to get emptied.
The north is cut off, so no supplies of not only food but everything else will not get through for a while.
I have a friend who had an accident in his car and needs a new grill and bonnet was told it could be fixed in less than a week, that was the day the rain started now he has been told it could be months because the parts are somewhere down south, he is not complaining as he knows there are people who have lost everything
The lack of supplies to all business in all of North Queensland is starting to have an effect, there is talk around town that in about 2 weeks time we are going to be getting very short of food and are hoping the government has a back up plan in place to get food to us
What we are very short of right now of fresh vegies and meat, with some shops have none at all
Ian

13 years 3 months ago #41890 by
Replied by on topic Re: Queensland Floods
Just watched the news coverage and the pictures of the Industrial area around Archerfield Airport where Cam's factory is, I hope he got everything out to higher ground and he and his family are safe.

Trevor

More
13 years 3 months ago #41891 by Cunning Stunt
Replied by Cunning Stunt on topic Re: Queensland Floods
We're thinking of all of you guys in the effected areas. Good luck with everything. Any news on the state of the Gatton museum?

Some play hard to get

Time to create page: 0.485 seconds