Skip to main content

Queensland Floods

More
13 years 4 months ago #41872 by bigcam
Queensland Floods was created by bigcam
There is a fair bit of water around up here at the moment. We went to go up to Cania Gorge on the day after boxing day, and only got as far as Gayndah. The Burnett River flows through Gayndah, which also flows through Bundaberg. The Burnett got to 16m in Gayndah, a bit of localized flooding, but nothing like Emerald, Bundy, and other places. We were there from Monday, untill Thursday, when the water went down enough to get home. Here's some pics.

All these pictures where taken on the way up there.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #41873 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Queensland Floods
The caravan park we stayed at was right on the river, the river rose about 3 1/2 metres the first night we where there.

These pictures are of the spillway at Wivenhoe dam, one of Brisbane's water supply's. About 2 years ago it was 30%, It looked like Niagara falls.

More
13 years 4 months ago #41874 by Fuller-Vit
Replied by Fuller-Vit on topic Re: Queensland Floods
Great pics Cam.
Just so as the others are aware, to bring this into perspective, at the moment the area of queensland under water is equal to the size of Victoria :-[

In the beginning God created Seddon and ERF

More
13 years 4 months ago #41875 by Rusty Engines
Replied by Rusty Engines on topic Re: Queensland Floods
Just so as the others are aware, to bring this into perspective, at the moment the area of queensland under water is equal to the size of Victoria

Up date - the area of Queensland under water is the size of NSW +
Ian

More
13 years 4 months ago #41876 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: Queensland Floods
was that size update...
queensland flood area = victoria + gst = nsw :-/
regards
Chocs 8-)

13 years 4 months ago #41877 by
Replied by on topic Re: Queensland Floods
I hope everyone stays safe, it must be heart breaking to watch everything go under.
Keep Safe and dont go playing in the water.

Trevor

More
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #41878 by Rusty Engines
Replied by Rusty Engines on topic Re: Queensland Floods
What is affecting Townsville (population 200,000) and other cities up this way is no supplies are getting through(no mail no bills ;D) and the local supermarket shelves are starting to look bare :'(. There is only one rail line going north and it is on the coast now closed, but most of our goods come by truck and usually if the coast road is closed (now is)they go the inland way but that is also closed, so now the talk is to bring supples by boat from Brisbane
I think I better start restoring a couple old boat motors I have just in case or maybe we should put a carbon tax on all the old smoky engines and trucks to make the rain will go away :D

Ian
Townsville
North Queensland
Australia
Last edit: 13 years 4 months ago by Rusty Engines.

More
13 years 4 months ago #41879 by Fuller-Vit
Replied by Fuller-Vit on topic Re: Queensland Floods
News in Cairns Post this am is that they are going to begin air frieghtin supplies into Cairns in a 747.

In the beginning God created Seddon and ERF

13 years 4 months ago #41880 by
This video on the ABC (link, below) .. even though it's now about 2

13 years 4 months ago #41881 by
My thoughts are with everyone affected by the Flood disaster in Queensland.
When I say everyone, I must include all their relatives and friends outside the area.
They are undoubtedly doing what they can to help the government agencies and military authorities in these difficult times.

I hope the situation improves soon, and that the long hard recovery can commence.

Cheers
RS

Time to create page: 0.479 seconds