Skip to main content

McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel

More
3 years 9 months ago #212955 by oliver1950
Cobbadog would you like to have ago at adjusting the Gibb key on the mill? It would be a learning experience for both of us.

You can't have too many toys!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #212971 by cobbadog
Thank you oliver1950, I will take you up on your kind offer. I was given a tip on a machinig shop forum to place the tapered surfaces together and this will make the bottom flat section of the key sit parallel. Anothe suggetsion made by the seller said do both at once but getting them sitting level and firm would be tricky, I guess.
As for the taper, how confusing it can be. Seller said 1 in 1/16" but may have meant the 1:16 and also claimed this is for all Imperial gib keys and that only meteric keys were 1:100. I don't doubt the numbers stated to me here but it can be confusing to someone learning about this stuff and trying to be right.
Anyway they should arrive soon enough and I will make contact when they do and then make a convenient time with you to pay a visit and give Bindi a pat too.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 8 months ago #213139 by cobbadog
Today the rings and valves arrived so now I can start play time again but we are on a spending spree at the moment so not sure when I can start again.

More
3 years 8 months ago #213250 by Sarge
Cobba, just for you, freshly lifted from faceit, apparently just waiting on the banks of the yarra at templestow, in old orchard area.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
3 years 8 months ago #213251 by cobbadog
Please roll it closer to the river! :P

Very soon I can start again on mine and try to go even madder as I try to progress. Everything is happening here lately and they are all good things for us except for the dishwasher, not Dee, shit itself so it was a dash up the highway to buy a fresh one then get it home and install and then start to break the old bastard down to garbage bin size. Got a bloody lot in already and will do more next week. Something that surprised me was I found a concrete block held in place on the bottom of the machine. It does absolutely nothing but make it feel heavy to move the washer around and make it feel like it is a quality machine. Took a pic of it too.

More
3 years 8 months ago #213254 by Mrsmackpaul
The lump of concrete that does nothing actually is there for a reason
Thats to keep it from tipping over forward if someone slides both draws out full of dishes
Not all dish washers are put under a kitchen bench top or in a cupboard

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 8 months ago #213264 by Morris
About all I know about dishwashers is that my Wife whinged that she wanted one. I bought an "almost new" one for $40 but she will not let me instal it because it has only one washing compartment, as most of them do, but she wanted one with two drawers, like her friend has. The one I bought is just taking up space in the garage.

I do know that earlier (clothes) washing machines had a large concrete counter weight to stop them "walking" around and damaging furniture or unplugging themself!

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #213278 by cobbadog
Well I decided to treat this thing the the contempt it deserves, knock it down and toss out the bits that are not recyclable and donate the steel to a scrappy. This is the stage it was at yesterday and now a flat pack.

Now thats a neat trick, it is totally arse up. At least it cant break.

Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by cobbadog.

More
3 years 8 months ago #213296 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel
Scrappy's aren't paying much at the moment - I recently took a trailer load of old corrugated sheets from a shed I knocked down (Men's Shed job for a local resident) and the guy laughed when he saw it; he said it was worth about $2! :huh: Fortunately I had thrown a heap of old cast iron pipes on the trailer from another job, which saved the day and I got $28 for the load. ;)

Interested what your "flat pack" was worth when you took it???

Reminds me of a 2.8 ton load I took to Browns in Adelaide (long before they became Simms). Several old car carcasses, sprayed with water before leaving to boost the weight somewhat . . . :pinch: :whistle:

More
3 years 8 months ago #213300 by cobbadog
My scrappy comes here and picks up all my offcuts of aluminium blind and curtain tracks plus takes away any old blinds. This stuff will go the same way.
No money changes hands, I get rid of the crap scrap and when I need something he donates it back, sort of a give n take system. I'm happy and so is he. The last time I took the scrap extruded alluminium to town they paid $0.05/kg wasn't worth the trip and that was many years ago.

Time to create page: 0.541 seconds