Skip to main content

McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #211531 by cobbadog
Welcome back PDU and hope your trip away went well for you both. If tomorrow does not come good with what I need I will do exactly that, thanks.
Cam gear is back and linished to what I think is the correct profile. At last the needle is out of the tube after a very hot episode with the big bunsen burner. The needle came out a little bent so I did straighten it but I do have the other needle to use if needed. Good news with the valves and rings and the valves should be confirmed tomorrow with luck.
P.S. the 25 post are just another 25 posts of dribble, but important dribble.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by cobbadog.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago #211532 by JOHN.K.
So far Ive found some JP Lister valves 6 1/2" long ,1 1/2" head ,stem 7/16 " or thereabouts .........One valve I need to find is a NH 855 Cummins 4 valve motor .....I think they may be 7" long.

More
3 years 10 months ago #211542 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel

You've got to laugh . . . after reading your comment cobbadog I went straight to Googlepedia World and entered "man dribbling" and got hundreds of pictures of basket ball players dribbling their balls (please no obvious comments on that one!) :lol: :blink:
Attachments:

More
3 years 10 months ago #211556 by cobbadog
I'm glad that pic is not me, I have a beard so looks similar in some ways.

Valves. Well got in touch with the bloke today who was still stuck in Syney and wont be back until tomorrow so maybe some hope there. I double checked the long valve and it is 7 3/16" long or 182mm. Rings are due to land into his workshop shop soon so should know more tomorrow all being well. I will get the proper sizes of the valves tomorrow as one is long and other is a shorty in the stem but same on other sizes.

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #211559 by husky
Hi PDU ,hope you both had a good break and fun relaxing and feeling refreshed ,,
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by husky.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

More
3 years 10 months ago #211568 by Morris
I think the word we are looking for is "drivel," not "dribble"

My dictionary says drivel is silly nonsense or twaddle whereas dribble is to flow in drops or trickling stream from the mouth as a child, or in sport to move a ball forward.

Some of the posts here are not all that useful but are much better than drivel. They are all welcome.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 10 months ago #211577 by cobbadog
Hi Morris, not heard of that word being an uneducated fella but we did have another word or phrase that sums it up just as good and that was "bull shit!" Everyone at the school and outside of it fully understood what you meant.:lol:

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #211578 by cobbadog
Got a little bit done today. I used some valve grinding paste both coarse and fine to re-seat the needle by hand and it now has a lovely shiny taper all the way around. This, I hope will minimise any compression blow back. I will pick up some copper washers (gaskets) tomorrow hopefully while driving around for work along with a new compression spring for the needle. This one looked ok but during the electrolysis process it cleaned up the rust very well and made the gauge of the wire too thin and it broke. I don't expect this to be hard to find and replace. (foot in mouth disease possibly coming on).
Now that 1/4" bolt hanging out the side of the fuel cup is temporary. I will cut it down to make a grub screw that will locate the cup to face the correct way when fitted into the head and combustion chamber. Going by the hand book this does not have to be tight because once installed in the head it cannot fall out.

Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by cobbadog.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul

More
3 years 10 months ago #211631 by cobbadog
Got most of the bits n pieces today. Could not find a copper washer today with 38mm od and 32mm id.

More
3 years 10 months ago #211690 by cobbadog
Assembled the injector today with the new spring on the needle, new copper crush washer that has been annealed to make sure of a good seat plus the roughly made grub screw which works a treat. The grub screw does not hold the cup in place but rather directs the spray into the combustion chamber inside the head then on top of the piston. When the injector is bolted down this is what seals the cup against both copper washers as there is another one to be fitted on the outside of the cup and sits down against the head. That is the lump of cast iron ready for valve guides and I nearly have the valves sorted, I hope.
Something I discovered when assembling the injector is that it works opposite to how I though it would. Once the injector body was assembled it was holding the needle in the closed position and I stripped it again trying to work out what was wrong. Then the penny dropped and the top of the injector is lifted to open the needle to allow fuel inside. Well I hope that is how it works.
Was contacted today with a very kind offer of the washer I need to fit the injector, thank you very much.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.625 seconds