Skip to main content

1975 Atkinson restoration

More
3 years 2 months ago #218658 by Oilman
Replied by Oilman on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
You can't have oil leaks that result in a drip falling on the road. Exact words are: The power unit, clutch system, transmission system,
differentials, axle housings and all associated pipelines must be properly sealed and free of dripping or flowing oil leaks onto the roadway, exhaust system or brake friction surfaces. Dampness, weeping or staining are acceptable but oil leaking from the underside of the vehicle to such an extent that it is likely to drop oil on the road surface (if the vehicle is parked or idling stationary for any length of time) is unacceptable.

1975 Atkinson, 180HP 6LXB Gardner, RTO910, 34000lb Rockwell on camelback

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago #218667 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
Pommy bikes and oil leaks got me chased one time.
Many moons back I was ready to do my surf patrol at the local beach and as I was filling out the paperwork I heard another member who just bought a brand new Truimph bike.
Well never let a chance go by I thought so I ran downstairs and placed a news paper under it. He didn't see the funny side of it. I had to spend the day keeping my distance.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 2 months ago #218671 by Mrsmackpaul
Now I'm passed my rant stage I'll try and be useful or try to offer some useful thoughts or advice

Aluminium accelerator pedal, maybe take it to a place that specializes in welding aluminium, I can weld aluminium with the MIG, change the wire, the gas and the sleeve in the MIG lead to the gun

However I wouldnt even try as I would be not competent enough or have enough confidence in my abilities

I have found all of these specialized welding places to be exceptionally good to deal with
So if the could build it up and then you can slowly file, grind, sand it back into shape

The rubber pedal is more challenging, if you cant find the right one maybe try making one out of yours

Yes I know that sounds ridiculous but there are products that allow you to mold your own off the sample

As far as oil leaks are concerned, if they aren't real bad, wipe and clean and make sure its absolutely spotless 50 meters up the road and let it cool right down as the oil is at it's thickest so won't leak as bad
I have had really good results with this method
The alternator light, change the pulley size to spin it faster on the alternator, I know it sounds like a lot of mucking about but at night if your coming home in the dark you will find the headlights much more useful

If that isnt your cup of tea I have a idea, hook the alternator light up to a oil pressure switch to get it passed a RWC, it's on when the motor isnt running and as soon as it starts and gets oil pressure it goes off

Will appear to work as it they think it should (which isnt right as it's working correctly now) and return to the correct wiring when passed

I know none of these are ideal but sometimes I find I need to just jump thru the hoops to get what I need done done

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
3 years 2 months ago #218674 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
Mrs
m80
We got the small cut off wheel in the little battery powerd grinder n freshend up the grooves in the go pedal
we then got a lump of thik conveyor belt cut to the x act shape of the stop pedal .... cut sum grooves with sed grinder ... glued n pop riveted to the steel pedal
we used the 1/2 inch d head pop rivets (for glu we have moved on from silastic n now use the black urethane stuff the goo up windscreens with)
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
3 years 2 months ago #218682 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
When I was an Inspector for the RTA, the regulation was, "Allow oil to drip onto roadway". My interpretation was, "Allow oil to drip on inspector." Any older engine/ gearbox can have oil weeps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, asw120

More
3 years 2 months ago #218684 by prodrive
Replied by prodrive on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
Stu,
Can I ask where you got your RWC check? Only so I make SURE that I never go there..
I'm of the firm belief that "someone" upstairs in some office in Utopia (aka Melbourne) has decided that all these older vehicles must come off the road. Not just old trucks that may be historic or collectable like ours, these are a side issue- but secondhand trucks in general, no matter how good or bad they may actually be. I guess to help the environment, or use less fuel, or maybe to stmulate the economy, I genuinely don't know.
But RWC's are now that the point where I just say "I aint doin them". Some of the stories I've heard, are just ludicrous. A mate is just RWC'ing a 2014 Mack- amongst a mile of other things, they have knocked the door hinges for having movement- despite the fact that the door opens and shuts in perfect alignment. And the price of a check has doubled. And all repairs must be completed and the vehicle re- presented with SEVEN days, or it needs a whole new booking, and another complete RWC check.... You couldn't make this stuff up.
I sold a truck recently that had done 5400 k's since over ten grand was spent on it for RWC- it was tested again BY THE SAME TESTER- another $5500 for RWC.
And a good percentage of RWC testers in Geelong have lost thier license, for all sorts of reasons, NOT for being dodgy, but as far as I can tell, for purely bureaucratic reasons.
Which all pushes the barrow of "get these old vehicles off the road".... with no discussion, or review, and despite the collateral damage.
Makes me bloody mad, and i don't see how it helps anyone, except perhaps someone in an office getting browny points..
Good luck with it Stu, you deserve a big pat on the back for your terrific standard of workmanship, in my view.
Cheers
Rich
The following user(s) said Thank You: hayseed, cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, Southbound

More
3 years 2 months ago #218709 by cobbadog
As Swishy said use the angle grinder to cut the grooves back in. I did this on the brake and clutch pedals on the tractor as they lost the criss cross pattern and were slippery. Now its hard to tell they were worn.
In the tyre game we had a 2 part rubber compound we could mix together and repair some tyres with. Only needed to grind the area to be repaired with the buffing wheel, mix equal parts of the compound together by pinching it between your fingers until it was no longer grey and is now black in colour. Then after you had buffed the area to be repaired you brushed on the glue as if you were putting a patch on it and lay down the plyable rubber in layers and use the stitching wheel to push it into place and keep building it up to being over sized. Once cured then buff it back smooth.

More
3 years 3 weeks ago - 3 years 3 weeks ago #220234 by Oilman
Replied by Oilman on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
Finally sanity prevailed and with the 'help' of a more reasonable RWC assessor I was able to get a RWC yesterday. Hopefully next week I can get the rego plates and all will be official. Last two jobs are to make up the aluminium scuff plates and to find someone to do the sign writing now that Chocs is no longer with us.

1975 Atkinson, 180HP 6LXB Gardner, RTO910, 34000lb Rockwell on camelback
Last edit: 3 years 3 weeks ago by Oilman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Morris, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, asw120, V8Ian, oliver1950

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #220237 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
Well done Oilman, Now you can enjoy the fruits of your Labour...!!

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #220239 by cobbadog
Fantastic news Oilman, you must be so pleased right now and in sleepless mode waiting for the plates a drive.

Time to create page: 0.571 seconds