Skip to main content

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford

More
3 years 11 months ago #210824 by PDU
With the Titanic reinforcing gone it would have to be lighter cobbadog :lol:
Cleaned up the welds, sprayed some primer over it all, and ready to sit it back down to check mounting alignment.

Meanwhile cleaned the gearbox, albeit just a scrape and wire brush job for now.

And lastly, Ernie complained about there not being enough light, so I reckon 600W flood should do the job . . . :unsure: :woohoo:

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, oliver1950, Michael S

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #210828 by Dave_64
Lookin good!
Marvellous how a coat of paint and a "kerosene" overhaul can look!

More
3 years 11 months ago #210829 by mammoth
Just fitted my shed out with LED "high bay" lights. Electrician poopooed my 150w Chinese cheapos and sold me a 200w. Either or, with six of them it is better than daylight. Turns out the cheapo ones are just as good
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #210835 by PDU
I considered 200W LEDs mammoth but when I went to buy them bumped into a guy from the Men's Shed who said I could have the mini sun, or two, for nothing . . . and I couldn't knock that price! I knew there was a reason why we had all the solar panels put up. ;)

And there wasn't a drop of kero used Dave, or anything liquid, just laborious scraping and wire brushing. Can't afford extravagances, I've got a big light to run . . . :whistle:
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 11 months ago #210839 by Dave_64
I'll wash my mouth out! (with kero!)

More
3 years 11 months ago #210852 by PDU
Geez, yousa tough bastard Dave, I draw the line at turps!
Attachments:

More
3 years 11 months ago #210975 by PDU
Update for the last few days: Prior to sitting the cab down I connected the gearbox to the engine and dropped it onto the chassis; nothing bolted as it will come out for tidying up/painting before final fitting. The J series bell-housing has angled mounting bolts, different to the 1951 mounts, but should only be a simple modification to adapt the earlier type and easier than changing the bell-housings over.
Tipped the cab forward after removing the gear lever and things looked to be okay. Mocked up the nose cone/radiator to check positioning of cab and horizontal alignment - I knew a packer would be needed here (and at the back of the cab) as my new mounts have raised the front of the cab by about 1/2". With a temporary packer made and bolted into place (under the radiator/front guards crossbar) I was able to fit the bonnet and side panels, again purely to check. :dry: Things look close enough for now, nothing that a little adjustment here and there won't fix.

You will notice that the door is back on, firmly bolted and closing much better than before, but crying out for the old door handle and mechanism.
I am concerned how solid the front springs feel :oops: and went to check the other chassis, which is the same, hmmmm? It might be better with a leaf or two removed, :unsure: but that can happen later also!
Must say it looks more like a Bedford now, rather than just an empty chassis. ;)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, cobbadog, husky, wee-allis, Michael S

More
3 years 11 months ago #210982 by IHScout
When you put it together like that it makes it seem much closer to being a drivable truck. Great progress.

Dennis
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

More
3 years 11 months ago #211007 by Michael S
Interesting you mention removing springs.
I have removed the rear helper springs, mainly to reduce the GVM and rego cost in QLD.
Not much of a smoother ride! Thinking of going further and taking out more. Be interested in your opinion onthis PDU.
From investigation the OLB is rated at almost 8 tonne!

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #211011 by PDU
Partially why I'm persisting with the M type chassis Michael, and will weigh it when done. The O type chassis is a weighty bit of gear.

Does your truck have any shock asorbers? Neither of mine do - but I'm not surprised with the springs on them!!!

When you say that you have removed some of your springs, are you referring to the seven (helper) leaves above, or the three thicker (secondary) leaves at the bottom? I would say that you could easily run on the middle seven (primary) leaves alone - they are ridiculously over-sprung, especially if you have no intention of carrying a heavy load. Maybe then see how it feels and/or reacts on the road . . . :unsure:
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by PDU.

Time to create page: 0.593 seconds