Skip to main content

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford

More
3 years 11 months ago #211066 by cobbadog
By not mentioning media blasting as an option the next two are it. Paint strippers or sanding it back. I once looked at some 'home brew' paint strippers but never went any further and did the not to mention option instead.
I did use some oven cleaner once which lifted the paint quite well but the result of that depened on the type of paint. If using strippers ensure you have a way to neutralise the stripper once done. If sanding you will need a good 240v sander and a heap of paper starting withsome 40 grit to really get into the thick stuff then comming back to 100 grit to smooth out the rough marks from the coarse paper.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #211078 by Morris
How about a "flapper" disk on a hand held grinder? They come in different grades. The grinder can be mains or battery powered, I have used both and love them.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
3 years 11 months ago #211079 by mammoth
wire brush cups in the angle grinder are very effective but you have to be religous with eye protection and when doing thin panels to avoid heat build up which has the potential to buckle them.

More
3 years 11 months ago #211091 by 180wannabe
Poly strip discs can be quite good.

More
3 years 11 months ago #211093 by PDU
Thanks for the input everyone, I've bought 4 litres of Diggers paint stripper, but that won't be tried until I've taken the wife for a week of caravan escapism . . . peace and quiet for you from me for a few days. While I'm away I'll check out a few wrecking yards to look at some springs with a tape measure in my hand. :blink:

The original O type chassis is looking like the easiest option, but I'm not prepared to give up just yet.

Spring issues, axle width/changing wheel offset to suit, and now needing to shorten the tail-shaft too (was the early non-synchro box shorter?)! Why me, why does it always seem to happen ti me? :unsure:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 11 months ago #211096 by asw120
Can't see an issue taking leaves out. When I rebuilt the ASW120 I did just that, as I wanted 110 springs to soften the ride. Think early Hilux, or series Landrover - pogoed all over the place. I had rears, but only one front. Taking every second leaf out of some 130 springs gave a close approximation of 110 springs.
I did then take them in to have them reset and clips put back on. About 20,000 miles and still good. I only got them reset because all the old Inters have sagged front springs.

For the stripping, the wire cup on the angle grinder is my choice. It takes all the rust off and burnishes the surface. May be good after the paint stripper.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

More
3 years 11 months ago #211103 by cobbadog
I too have used a wire cup on an angle grinder and yes they do work. Downside is they polish the metal too smooth and you must sand the metal to roughen the surface for primer or it will flake off.
Hope you both enjoy your time away in the van. Dee and I are taking ours for an 8 day run next month to a few non tropical places in the Southern Highlands, Junee and Bathurst. Going to need to look like a Mitchelin Man to stay warm.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 11 months ago #211105 by PDU
Never a Michelin man cobba; being a pom, and despite having been in Oz since '63, I upset all the locals,on a regular basis - tonight for instance I've been out playing eight ball with a group of miscreants, and while they were all rugged up I was in shorts and wearing a T shirt! It's my way of preparing myself against the flu - if you rug yourself up you are more liable to catch it as you move from warm to cold environments. Enjoy your trip too. :unsure:

When Ernie jokingly asked who I was going with I calmly told him my girlfriend . . . wife thought that was funny and a wee bit flattering. :lol:

More
3 years 11 months ago #211124 by Morris
PDU,
PM sent.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
3 years 11 months ago #211129 by PDU
Stripped the paint off the LH guard this morning; about an hour of "I may as well give it a try" work and with 30+ wires impregnated into my groin and abdomen which I discovered after I had finished - I looked a bit like a bald hedgehog. :laugh: The wire brush looked decidedly used, and there was still light rust encrustations left after I was done.

Note to myself: Use the paint stripper, scrape of the bulk, then use a new wire brush, followed up with a flapper disc and Kill-Rust. :unsure:

Apologies for the second rate picture - cheap phone!? :blush:
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.588 seconds