Skip to main content

Diamond Reo cab over

More
3 years 2 months ago #218407 by Blackduck59
Going by the colour, the age and how short those fittings are I would guess that it was the superceded Aeroquip FC107 hose. Would have to go through some of the old literature to see what it's replacement was. You only needed standard spanners to assemble.
Cheers Steve

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago #218415 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic 1/4 inch air brake hose.
According to the book ,the FC107 hose has one stainless steel wire braid...so that should be easy to confirm.

More
3 years 2 months ago #218424 by Tambox
Replied by Tambox on topic Air hose vs hydraulic hose
After much research and advise from this site, why can't I use hydraulic hose for air brakes?
I can buy hydraulic hose for 20% of the cost of replacing the hoses with existing, non stamped hoses or converting it to nylon.
At the moment, the selling idea is diminishing, after hearing so many stories about this truck, may start a book, they are entertaining.
I looks as if I will keep it, fit a tray and use it un registerd around the farm while I detail it.
Its going to cost ne $200 for hydraulic hose to make the brakes work VS about $1000 to fix it properly.
It seems wasting $200 is more viable than fitting the correct parts, this may be done in the future, but $200 is a viable wasted cost.
Sorry, I might be missing something here, could a more experienced person advise?
Cars and tractors I have had a lot of experience with, but this truck has so many variables for a limited budget.
Thanks Greg
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Tacho

More
3 years 2 months ago #218425 by Mrsmackpaul
Im gunna ask a question if I may, or maybe a story and a question in it ? Dunno yet lol

Truck joints dont like selling this reusable fitting hose stuff for air lines today for what ever reason

I busted a rubber hose from the chassis to the rear drive axle a few weeks ago, just plum perished and stuffed up, so shortend it up a bit to get home and all was good

Next working day off to the local truck joint with all 4 rubber hoses in my hand because on inspection I notice the rest werent exactly new
The truck place which Im quite comfortable with unlike those useless so and so's at KW down the road, anyway they just walked up to a rack with ready made hoses hanging on the wall and we compared length and got what we needed

It was dirt cheap, Im gunna say 70 bucks maybe all up

So Im guessing you only have short hoses from the chassis to were ever because even on my real old 42 Federal thats all it has
The hose has to mount to the chassis some how and thats were it changes from a more rigid job to a soft and floppy rubber one

So my question is if yours is as I poorly described, could you just buy for a few bucks a reducer and get ready made rubber hoses ?

Oh and I feel hydraulic hoses will be far to rigid for this type of work

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 2 months ago #218426 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Air hose vs hydraulic hose
Guys would come into the yard at the sandblasters to pick up beams and pipes,and pull out their trailers ,but always forget the air lines......every day there was a trcukie round the workshop wanting trailer airlines fixed.......I used to use black rubber paint hose ,and worm hoseclamps .....and a lot of trailers must have gone thru inspection with the hose and clamps ,cause I used to see the same stuff next time they ripped the hoses off.

More
3 years 2 months ago #218427 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Air hose vs hydraulic hose
Hydraulic hoses are wire wound and so stiff that they will end up breaking the chassis air line.
Nowadays there are two ways to go with nylon;- the screw up compression style where you fiddle around with ferrules etc or the push in. Just push the nylon into the fitting and jobs done, whats more by giving it a special squeeze you can pull the nylon out and adjust length or whatever.
Cheapo alternative is to rob some old fashion hose barb fittings and hose clamps from the spray rig. The only rubber air hose you should be needing is up to about 8 pieces a foot long, with the rest of the air system in either steel or nylon.

More
3 years 2 months ago #218441 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Air hose vs hydraulic hose
Using Hydraulic hose for brake lines is Illegal.. see section 15 here..

www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2016C00153

Personally, I'd just get some of this Hose..
maxiparts.com.au/truck-and-trailer/air-s...e/rubber-brake-hose/

& some Good worm drive Hose clamps, & use the Barbs you already have...

Just a a side Story, There used to several Photos on the Wall of the Southbound Weighbridge at Marulan (they could still be there). of Various Defects they'd detected over the years.
One that has always stuck in my Mind was one . Where Old mate has a piece of that Green Nylex garden Hose from a relay Valve to a Maxibrake Chamber..:S

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
3 years 2 months ago #218442 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Air hose vs hydraulic hose
No expense spared, eh 'Seed? Using a good Australian hose rather than cheap, dodgy Chinese crap. ;)

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
3 years 2 months ago #218449 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic 1/4 inch air brake hose.
I have been trying to reply to this post for yes turd ay
n all I get is this error message
WotGoes
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Attachments:

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #218457 by Tambox
Replied by Tambox on topic 1/4 inch air brake hose.
Sorry have had to travel for the last few days, no coverage.
Technology is great, when it works or user error :-)
An axe doesn't work.
Interesting responses, hydraulic hose usually has two metal braids, and is designed to take much more the 150psi.
It is oil rated, thet should exceed the requirement of a sealed air system.
For me one of the issues is OD vs ID, which is where the metric varies from the imperials.
Plus hydraulic hose usually has a rubber outer layer, where air, in my case, has a cloth braided outer, which is softer than the rubber.
I like the look of the cloth cover, it looks nicer.
1/4 ID for brakes is an issue, many interpretations of how to measure it, ID vs outer tube OD.
Waiting for build specs to check if 1/4 was OEM.
I will drop into the local hydraulic place next time I am in town, as i have clean cut some samples and have cleaned fittings.
They have the biggest range of reinforced hoses.
Knowing my luck air is measured differently to hydraulic.
For something so simple, it's complicated, especially when you have to talk different languages, when ordering online in the new simplified world.
Out of interest, how do the people that do RWC determine if the hose is the correct type?
Do they know enough as to what it should look like, or what the specs are hose vs connector?
FC 107 exceeds specs but is listed as " not for air brakes"
Its complicated, maybe as long as it looks good and work its ok?
Or by the stamping, although some has none.
Thanks for all the inputs, this is interesting.
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Tambox.

Time to create page: 0.561 seconds