Skip to main content

Preparing & Painting a 1927 Inter Chassis

• Topic Author
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #57016 by
Tank is now all clean inside, need to strip the paint from the outside.

Had to do a bit of a run out to the sticks (Monbulk) on Friday to pick up a little load for Choc's so picked up my parts on the way, exhaust manifold has been ceramic coated at www.modernplating.com.au , new distributer ready to go in from www.performanceignition.com.au also been fixing up the fuel gauge had the local trophy place engrave a new face for the gauge.

[IMG

Trevor

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
10 years 10 months ago #57017 by
Come on Trev spill the beans whats happening with the tank ??. Dave

• Topic Author
10 years 10 months ago #57018 by
Double D

Had a little set back with needing to change the gearbox in the tilt tray.

Tank is now all clean inside and out so if its not raining later will throw in the rust converter/etch once this is done need to rinse it out several times, let it dry completely then I can put the sealer in so Slo lee getting it done. Ross came around and re did the engine paint so manifold and dizzy can go back on, still waiting for carby.

Next outing is echuca so still got a bit of time.

Trevor

• Topic Author
10 years 9 months ago #57019 by
Finished sealing the tank and boy does this stuff stick like s#it to a blanket.

Instruction sheet supplied

[IMG

Tank after final cleaning

[IMG

[IMG

Tank with rust converter/etch poured in the whole lot rotate it around for about 45 minutes then drain it all out (some of it comes out like beaten egg whites) then you need to rinse out several times and then dry it completely before sealing.

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

Tank with sealer

[IMG

Wet just been poured in and rotated you pour the whole tin in and slowly rotate it making sure all side are covered for about 15 minutes then you drain it for about 1 hour, then you still need to just slowly turn it just to stop it pooling about every 15-20 minutes for the next couple off hours then let it set.

[IMG

This is the finished product and it has got a shiny film all over the inside, it now needs 3-4 days before you can put any fuel in it.

[IMG

Trevor

• Topic Author
10 years 9 months ago #57020 by
Didn't show it but you do have to seal/tape up the filler and drain holes before/during each step otherwise you will have this stuff everywhere. also make sure all threads etc are cleaned before this stuff goes off.

Trevor

More
10 years 9 months ago #57021 by old scrapman
SloSpeed
Looks good Trevor,read the instructions the bit about putting surplus back in tin and leave to go hard with lid of or may go bang mite give one a surprise if treated like paint without thinking.
Peter

• Topic Author
10 years 9 months ago #57022 by
Peter

Sure does expand up in the tin as it goes hard.

Trevor

• Topic Author
10 years 9 months ago #57023 by
So where did you the stuff used from and what does it all cost for everything ??? .Dave

• Topic Author
10 years 9 months ago #57024 by
No need to answer Trev I found the info and the price $104-00 very good I will give it go in my 1936 wide body m/gardner Bedford when I get my tank back from Akipete. Dave

• Topic Author
10 years 9 months ago #57025 by
Dave

Got mine from the place in Sunshine about $93 for the kit.

Link to Victorian sellers

www.kbs-coatings.com.au/vic-resellers

or

www.kbs-coatings.com.au/locate-a-kbs-coatings-reseller

Trevor

Time to create page: 0.603 seconds